U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-29-2015, 08:47 PM
 
Location: City of Angels
2,935 posts, read 4,768,423 times
Reputation: 2236

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
I wouldn't say that everything in Vegas in within walking distance, it just looks like it is. I would caution against thinking that you could walk to everything especially with a small child, and depending on the time of year even short doable walks can be overwhelming. You will want to be strategic with your hotel stay choice, and then plan on using cabs to visit hotels in reasonable batches. For example NYNY-Excalibur-Luxor and one batch. Bellagio-Paris or Caesars-Linq as another
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
This. The Strip is 4 miles long and walking "next door" can take 15 minutes.
Meh, the strip might be four miles, but most of the action is between Trop and Spring Mountain, which is like 1.5-2 miles. Obviously it makes no sense to walk from Mandalay Bay to the Stratosphere, but when factoring in traffic, time to find your car, and find a new parking spot at the next hotel, it is probably quicker to walk from, say Excalibur to Caesar's Palace. I mean you have to remember that if it is going to take you 15 minutes to walk next door it is also going to take you 15 minutes to walk to your car. So how does driving help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-29-2015, 10:14 PM
 
Location: Henderson, NV
3,456 posts, read 2,256,353 times
Reputation: 36567
Or you can ride the bus -- the Deuce -- from Fremont all the way to Mandalay Bay and points between.

Las Vegas Deuce on the Strip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2015, 10:23 PM
 
Location: Silver Spring, MD
1,300 posts, read 1,096,451 times
Reputation: 1515
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
Meh, the strip might be four miles, but most of the action is between Trop and Spring Mountain, which is like 1.5-2 miles. Obviously it makes no sense to walk from Mandalay Bay to the Stratosphere, but when factoring in traffic, time to find your car, and find a new parking spot at the next hotel, it is probably quicker to walk from, say Excalibur to Caesar's Palace. I mean you have to remember that if it is going to take you 15 minutes to walk next door it is also going to take you 15 minutes to walk to your car. So how does driving help?
In the case of the OP he wouldn't be driving, it would either be a cab, a bus, or walking. Also they have a 5 year old, most likely not in a stroller. The the amount of people that are usually walking the strip and just the sheer danger in general, it would mean carrying their child the entire time which isn't practical.

For someone who is driving, at the mega resorts it just make more sense to valet your car, for the cost of a dollar or two you have your car delivered to you generally within a few minutes of requesting it. For the most part you can get to most of the hotels without driving on the strip. Now I'm going to assume that you don't usually drive in Vegas because to say that to drive from Excalibur to Caesars takes more time than walking is so wrong it's not even funny. From Excalibur, I can get to Caesars in less than 10 minutes by car which is less time than it is for someone to get out of Excalibur, get to the walkway to cross Tropicana and bu the time I've driven to Caesars, they're probably not even past NYNY by that time.

The main reason that going to a hotel next door is that many of the hotels are set back so that getting from the strip to inside the resort can take longer than walking to the beginning of the next hotel along the strip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2015, 06:28 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,607,588 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
I wouldn't say that everything in Vegas in within walking distance, it just looks like it is. I would caution against thinking that you could walk to everything especially with a small child, and depending on the time of year even short doable walks can be overwhelming. You will want to be strategic with your hotel stay choice, and then plan on using cabs to visit hotels in reasonable batches. For example NYNY-Excalibur-Luxor and one batch. Bellagio-Paris or Caesars-Linq as another
I agree, Las Vegas is a lot more spread out than it looks--particularly when it's 110 degrees out.

I would suggest staying just slightly off the Strip with a child. We like the Hilton Grand Vacations behind the Flamingo Hilton. It's quiet. There is no casino in the lobby. The rooms have at minimum a dorm fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. You can also get a one bedroom unit with a full kitchen and some privacy for the night for the parents--the living room sofa converts to a bed.

Even as two adults, this is our hotel of choice in Las Vegas. Mid-week it's downright cheap, and it's three minutes to the Strip. If it's hot or cold you can cut through the Flamingo for most of that walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2015, 08:54 PM
 
Location: City of Angels
2,935 posts, read 4,768,423 times
Reputation: 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
In the case of the OP he wouldn't be driving, it would either be a cab, a bus, or walking. Also they have a 5 year old, most likely not in a stroller. The the amount of people that are usually walking the strip and just the sheer danger in general, it would mean carrying their child the entire time which isn't practical.

For someone who is driving, at the mega resorts it just make more sense to valet your car, for the cost of a dollar or two you have your car delivered to you generally within a few minutes of requesting it. For the most part you can get to most of the hotels without driving on the strip. Now I'm going to assume that you don't usually drive in Vegas because to say that to drive from Excalibur to Caesars takes more time than walking is so wrong it's not even funny. From Excalibur, I can get to Caesars in less than 10 minutes by car which is less time than it is for someone to get out of Excalibur, get to the walkway to cross Tropicana and bu the time I've driven to Caesars, they're probably not even past NYNY by that time.

The main reason that going to a hotel next door is that many of the hotels are set back so that getting from the strip to inside the resort can take longer than walking to the beginning of the next hotel along the strip.
It's a 20 minute walk vs a 10 minute drive. But you're not taking into account

1. time spent walking to your car
2. time spent looking for parking space in parking garage at new casino
3. time spent walking to new casino from garage.

Overall, walking would either be quicker or take around the same amount of time. Obviously having a 5 year old would complicate matters, but it would be a complication even if you're driving. Either way, you'd be carrying the kid around a long way. For tourists, it would also make more sense to walk, walking along the strip is significantly more enjoyable than driving along Frank Sinatra Dr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2015, 09:50 PM
 
Location: Silver Spring, MD
1,300 posts, read 1,096,451 times
Reputation: 1515
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
It's a 20 minute walk vs a 10 minute drive. But you're not taking into account

1. time spent walking to your car
2. time spent looking for parking space in parking garage at new casino
3. time spent walking to new casino from garage.

Overall, walking would either be quicker or take around the same amount of time. Obviously having a 5 year old would complicate matters, but it would be a complication even if you're driving. Either way, you'd be carrying the kid around a long way. For tourists, it would also make more sense to walk, walking along the strip is significantly more enjoyable than driving along Frank Sinatra Dr.
You can avoid all that by using the valet at both locations. Even if you self parked you can get there in much less time. Secondly there is no way that it takes 20 minutes to walk that distance. Even though it is only 1.5 miles, there are throngs of people that you have to navigate through, elevated walkways to go up and down, traffic lights to wait for, cars you need to wait for/walk around, and construction to avoid. Even google maps says that walk takes about 30 minutes and I'm sure it's not taking most of those obstacles into consideration.

I'm not saying that walking the strip should be avoided, it is a good way to see the outsides of the hotels. Same with driving, when I'm with a Vegas newbie, I will brave the strip and drive down cause everyone needs to drive down the strip at night at least once. However when I just want to get from one property to another to do something inside, driving on roads parallel to the strip is the only way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2015, 02:09 PM
 
Location: North Idaho
22,706 posts, read 28,744,369 times
Reputation: 43817
The last time I was in Vegas, there were these little shuttle buses running up and down the strip, and they were free.

There's no place to park. A car would be a nuisance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2015, 05:10 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,983 posts, read 83,656,005 times
Reputation: 41793
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvpersonal View Post
Wanted to visit las vegas, los angeles , san francisco. Please assist me to find a good tour package.
Are you thinking independent travel or with a group, like a bus trip? How long do you want to be gone, and what are you wanting to see while traveling?

If you want to do it on your own and drive, you don't need a package, just plan how many days or nights you want to spend in each place and make reservations ahead of time to keep you on a schedule. If you want a tour I would suggest you contact a good travel agent. They do not charge you anything and are great with ideas. or you can just research on your own.There are a lot of tour companies out there. But one thing, and this has been mentioned, make sure whatever way you choose you see at least a couple of the national parks along the way.

I just read you later post: I can assure you, there is no way you can do what you want or even come close in a week. If I were you I would settle for just Vegas and Los Angeles, or San Francisco and maybe L. A. whatever, a week is not long enough. What you want to see would take a min of 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2015, 05:13 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,983 posts, read 83,656,005 times
Reputation: 41793
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The last time I was in Vegas, there were these little shuttle buses running up and down the strip, and they were free.

There's no place to park. A car would be a nuisance.
You are right about the car and the shuttle, but the shuttles are very slow and most of the casinos have free parking and even free valet parking.That is what we use when we are in Vegas, which is about once a year. With a car you can see so much more. Vegas is more than just a town to throw your money into slots, there are lots of neat things outside the city itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top