U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 05:39 PM

546 posts, read 1,495,590 times

Advertisements

My family --2 adults and 3 kids are going to Yellowstone this summer. I am considering booking a reservation within the park but kind of astounded by the taxes and fees to book through the Forest Service reservation system (ends up being nearly 25%). Does anyone have any recommendations on places they have stayed just outside the park? Or places in the park you really liked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 06:23 PM

21,364 posts, read 21,930,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
My family --2 adults and 3 kids are going to Yellowstone this summer. I am considering booking a reservation within the park but kind of astounded by the taxes and fees to book through the Forest Service reservation system (ends up being nearly 25%). Does anyone have any recommendations on places they have stayed just outside the park? Or places in the park you really liked?
even if you can't get the main lodge first at Old Faithful, it's worth it to stay right there at the motel-type building next door. Centrally located and the less driving you have to do in the summer the better. There's far more in the immediate area than the famous geyser that you are a short walk from.

Morning Glory Pool - this was the one the idiot flew his drone into last year...

Beehive Geyser...

we've also stayed at the Park Lodge in Mammoth (below) and that was nice as well.

my pics pre digital age
Attached Thumbnails
Yellowstone--Lodging Opinions-99-ylstnnp03-mammoth.jpg   Yellowstone--Lodging Opinions-99-ylstnnp24-mrngglry-pool.jpg   Yellowstone--Lodging Opinions-99-ylstnnp21.1-beehive-gysr.jpg  

Old 01-27-2015, 06:43 PM

7,330 posts, read 4,176,914 times
Because Yellowstone is so huge, I recommend getting lodgings either in two different locations in the park (one northerly, one more southerly) or in the Canyon area if you want to stay in one place. it cuts down on the driving time.

My favorite locations in the park are the cabins at Mammoth Hot Springs, and the Old Faithful Lodge cabins at the Old Faithful area (not the Snow Lodge cabins!). The Old Faithful Lodge cabins are not luxurious, but are ideal for geyser-gazing because they link to a path that goes behind Old Faithful directly to the main geyser basin, which allows you to get to the geysers much more quickly (it's where all the serious geyser-gazers stay, for just that reason). They're also a bit more isolated from the hullabaloo centered on the Old Faithful Inn. If you like wildlife, also take a look at the cabins at Roosevelt, as they place you very close to the prime wildlife viewing area of Lamar Valley.

For outside the park, I liked the Comfort Inn in Gardiner. Some folks like West Yellowstone, but I found the town too touristy to be enjoyable. In general, though, I recommend staying in the park if you can swing it financially - the mood of the place changes quite a bit when the daytime crowds and bus tour groups leave.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:45 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,541,856 times
When you say "lodging" are you including camping or rv'ing?

Old 01-27-2015, 08:37 PM

7,749 posts, read 9,053,224 times
There aren't many towns close to Yellowstone to stay. Gardiner and West Yellowstone (Montana) have some options and are right next to the park. They are a bit pricey and start booking early as these fill up. I'm not sure of the lodging situation in Cooke City, MT but you could check into that. Livingston, MT is 50 miles from Yellowstone and would likely be cheaper, I'm not sure how fast it fills up in the summer. In Wyoming the options are a bit more limited. Cody is the closest town the East Entrance at 52 miles. Again, I'm not sure how quickly it fills up. Jackson, WY is right outside of Grand Teton National Park. It's a gorgeous town (although a bit of a jaunt to the nice areas of Yellowstone) but it costs a small fortune to stay in. You might look for vacation rentals in the areas around the towns mentioned. I don't know what those normally cost. Regardless of where you stay, start booking early.

You might try posting this question on the Montana and Wyoming forums as well.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:39 PM

7,749 posts, read 9,053,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Because Yellowstone is so huge, I recommend getting lodgings either in two different locations in the park (one northerly, one more southerly) or in the Canyon area if you want to stay in one place. it cuts down on the driving time.

My favorite locations in the park are the cabins at Mammoth Hot Springs, and the Old Faithful Lodge cabins at the Old Faithful area (not the Snow Lodge cabins!). The Old Faithful Lodge cabins are not luxurious, but are ideal for geyser-gazing because they link to a path that goes behind Old Faithful directly to the main geyser basin, which allows you to get to the geysers much more quickly (it's where all the serious geyser-gazers stay, for just that reason). They're also a bit more isolated from the hullabaloo centered on the Old Faithful Inn. If you like wildlife, also take a look at the cabins at Roosevelt, as they place you very close to the prime wildlife viewing area of Lamar Valley.

For outside the park, I liked the Comfort Inn in Gardiner. Some folks like West Yellowstone, but I found the town too touristy to be enjoyable. In general, though, I recommend staying in the park if you can swing it financially - the mood of the place changes quite a bit when the daytime crowds and bus tour groups leave.
Good advice.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,652 posts, read 40,029,981 times
NE corner of park and this is NICE, (Not to me missed)
An All-American Road in Wyoming & Montana | Beartooth Highway | Montana & Wyoming Scenic Drives
Beartooth Highway - Montana - Reviews of Beartooth Highway - TripAdvisor

stay a night here (Red Lodge, MT)
Beartooth Highway Yellowstone Park Highway to the Sky - The Beartooth Highway

There is quite a bit of diversity in the park, Old Faithful Lodge is certainly very nice to visit. But there are more 'kid friendly / less crowded places with cabins".

Old 01-28-2015, 06:29 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,638,652 times
I visited that area in a borrowed Class A diesel pusher motorhome which worked out really nicely. It seems the hotels are pretty run down, very noisy, and lots of talk about people arriving and their room has been given away.

Borrowing or renting an RV is the best bet for that area in my opinion.

(Bet StealthRabbit is shocked to hear me say that...)

Old 01-28-2015, 09:04 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,541,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Borrowing or renting an RV is the best bet for that area in my opinion.
I agree. The OP will need to be aware of certain restrictions on where they can go/stay depending on the size of their RV. Also, renting gets really expensive if you're going for any length of time. I bought an older one in guid condition for the same as what a 2 week rental would have cost and still have it and use it regularly. That won't work for everyone, but it's good to be aware of an as option.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:10 AM

8,275 posts, read 11,136,078 times
It's been awhile but we stayed in a cabin at Fishing Bridge. Agree you'll end up either changing campsites to see it all or maybe you should just go with an RV .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or