U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 01:44 PM

972 posts, read 1,038,492 times

Advertisements

My wife and and I got married almost a year ago and traveled to Washington D.C. for our honeymoon. It was our first time (1) traveling outside our home state (2) flying in an airplane, and (3) seeing snow. A trip of firsts, indeed!

While I can appreciate the pros of travel (exploring sights and attractions, foods, culture, etc.), I can see the cons as well.

At the end of the day, planning a vacation involves considerable work, from packing and booking flights to setting up an itinerary.

I guess it also depends on the destination. I'm sure staying at the same beach for 5 days is completely different from visiting D.C., which offers so much to do that it can be overwhelming.

Other things I don't like about travel:
-Having to make long lines when sightseeing
-You may unwittingly go into sketchy parts of town (happened to us once in D.C.)
- Seeing more attractions and beating the lines usually means waking up earlier than you would if you were at home
-Crowds
-It isn't always easy to get to the attractions on time (weather, traffic, getting lost, etc)

Maybe it's that I haven't traveled that much and am just not used to it, but it seems travel can become a stressful and laborious undertaking, especially if the vacation isn't planned out in advance.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 01:50 PM

8,760 posts, read 10,829,371 times
While I agree with your basic sentiment that travel can be a pain, it is from a different perspective. Over many years, I traveled more than I wanted. We also lived on/near the beach for many years. Now, in retirement, I would prefer NOT to travel, plus, the sugar beaches of the Fla. Panhandle are prettier than anywhere else in the Gulf or Caribbean (where all the cruises in this area go). But, my wife likes to travel, so I travel with her.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:10 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
I don't find it stressful. If a trip becomes stressful to plan I figure it's not worth taking and scrap it.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:32 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,763,635 times
I find not travelling to be far more stressful. Any time I am in the same city for more than a month or two I start to get antsy. Don't understand how people do it. Give me the open road any day. No responsibilities, no idea where you're going to sleep tonight.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:49 PM

1,437 posts, read 1,118,555 times
I don't find travel stressful but my husband does. I think the difference is I am more of a "go with the flow kind of person" and he is more of a worrier. I am a sightseer/people watcher by nature. Maybe a less crowded destination where you could relax and settle in a little bit would work better for you. A house at the beach, cabin in the mountains etc.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
I find not travelling to be far more stressful. Any time I am in the same city for more than a month or two I start to get antsy. Don't understand how people do it. Give me the open road any day. No responsibilities, no idea where you're going to sleep tonight.
It's fascinating how different people can be. I am the exact opposite. I plan everything carefully and in advance -- and I am the farthest thing from a risk taker. I like to know where I'm going; I value routine and structure. When I'm in unfamiliar territory, I get worried.

I suffer from bouts of anxiety, which is definitely not what you want to have while on a trip. You're always worrying about what can go wrong (missing flight, getting lost) instead of taking in the sights.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
I don't find travel stressful but my husband does. I think the difference is I am more of a "go with the flow kind of person" and he is more of a worrier. I am a sightseer/people watcher by nature. Maybe a less crowded destination where you could relax and settle in a little bit would work better for you. A house at the beach, cabin in the mountains etc.
Yep, I'm more like your husband!

Old 01-28-2015, 02:56 PM

43,534 posts, read 52,616,956 times
I hate the airport.
I hate the plane.
I hate the other people on the plane.
I hate sitting for hours in a ridiculously uncomfortable seat (unless I fly first class).
I hate lines.
I hate big hotels with thin walls (even at luxury resorts) I can hear other guests through (so over hearing other people having sex)...

I spent a huge part of my life traveling and I am over it.

I would rather create a life I don't have to run away from.

And I have 2 places I do love being at...worth the nightmare of travel.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,526 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
It's fascinating how different people can be. I am the exact opposite. I plan everything carefully and in advance -- and I am the farthest thing from a risk taker. I like to know where I'm going; I value routine and structure. When I'm in unfamiliar territory, I get worried.

Travel will be stressful for you (until you get over the need to be in control of your routine).
Must be very flexible to enjoy the challenge of travel (or you might just as well go on guided tours).

As you said... we are all different. I can't do routine or guided tours.

I hope your spouse is very forgiving. You could add a lot of stress to difficult situations.

Consider little steps to venture out and relinquish your control.

Camping and hitchhiking are a good way to test your level of flexibility.

Kids will take care of it too...

Old 01-28-2015, 03:15 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,829,223 times
If everything goes well (no delays/acts of God/etc) then it's fine.

Flight cancellations/delays especially with connections are a pain.

Traffic jams stink too, but they're not quite as bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel