U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 05:59 AM

4,245 posts, read 8,097,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosy traveler View Post
First of all your pictures fascinate! Honestly I'm not good at photographing, tell me please is it possible only by very expensive camera, to make such photos? But yes, I can't stop admire them. Thanks a lot for such delight!
I agree everyone has his own list of 'great scene' and I'd like to get to know people's different preferences to open my mind.
Thank you for your kind words.
Not a top tier cam: older Canon 40D with a couple of decent Canon lenses, run through a touch of Adobe Lightroom.

Lots of 'looking', shooting, etc. Have been shooting for 58 years, since I was a kid. Lot of photo classes as electives in the U back in the '60s, and much darkroom work way before digital.

Fun hobby: go look, shoot, look, compose, shoot some more. Some good links were given earlier in thread. Spend some time 'looking' here in the C-D Photo forum.

Meanwhile, regardless of where one lives, one can go out and shoot very locally to work on comp, natural light, scenes, slices of life, etc. And, in digital you can hammer along, download and keep going vs that pesky roll of 36 exposures of film. Learn your cam, learn its settings, play with light, get off of Auto Exposure.

Fuzz's photography is right up there with some of the best stuff I have seen, and having been to several of the spots he has shot, he pretty well nails it, imo.
GL, mD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 06:32 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,645,060 times
I've been to pretty much all of the places mentioned in this thread, and the one place I never get tired of photographing is Notre Dame in Paris. Gargoyles in B&W--amazing.

I use a Nikon D300 and I have several Nikkor lenses depending on the distance and available natural light.

For the record, probably the most boring place I've ever photographed was French Polynesia.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:53 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,041,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I've been to pretty much all of the places mentioned in this thread, and the one place I never get tired of photographing is Notre Dame in Paris. Gargoyles in B&W--amazing.

I use a Nikon D300 and I have several Nikkor lenses depending on the distance and available natural light.

For the record, probably the most boring place I've ever photographed was French Polynesia.
I had a 3 day stopover in Tahiti while returning to the States after living in New Zealand for 2+ years. Maybe I was jaded from my time in NZ (measure for measure, the most beautiful place in the world), but Tahiti did seem a bit underwhelming. Still, the bolded comment above would read for most people like "When am I ever going to find a Porsche that comes in my favorite shade of green?"

Old 01-30-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
I had a 3 day stopover in Tahiti while returning to the States after living in New Zealand for 2+ years. Maybe I was jaded from my time in NZ (measure for measure, the most beautiful place in the world), but Tahiti did seem a bit underwhelming. Still, the bolded comment above would read for most people like "When am I ever going to find a Porsche that comes in my favorite shade of green?"
Tahiti can be done fairly inexpensively. There are bungalows for rent and some less expensive hotels. You can eat cheap if you are willing to forgo fancy sit down dinners in favor of Roulettes. Two people can do Tahiti and Moorea for a 7-10 days for under $3500 including airfare from LAX--but they won't be eating gourmet French dinners and staying in over-the-water bungalows. (Which are nice, but not really worth the tariff and I don't know that we'd book one again.)

Old 01-30-2015, 11:26 AM

5,809 posts, read 4,857,183 times
Anywhere in Yosemite valley, it's hard to go wrong. It's been done to death by most photographers, but getting it in different seasons and changing weather can give a new perspective. Literally brought tears to my eyes it was so beautiful.

Almost anywhere around Lake Tahoe, but especially Emerald Bay, and looking down at the lake from the top of the highest lift in Heavenly Valley. Breathtaking.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:39 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,858,932 times
Canadian Rockies. Just hold your camera up and start clicking away--you'll get more good shots than bad!

Old 01-30-2015, 01:41 PM

21 posts, read 14,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

Yes, Paris and other European cities are full of beautiful architectural landmarks, magnificent castles and cathedrals. I simply adore them!

So, you are not so keen on French Polynesia... I will bear in mind.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:31 PM

12,303 posts, read 12,537,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Thank you for your kind words.
Not a top tier cam: older Canon 40D with a couple of decent Canon lenses, run through a touch of Adobe Lightroom.

Lots of 'looking', shooting, etc. Have been shooting for 58 years, since I was a kid. Lot of photo classes as electives in the U back in the '60s, and much darkroom work way before digital.

Fun hobby: go look, shoot, look, compose, shoot some more. Some good links were given earlier in thread. Spend some time 'looking' here in the C-D Photo forum.

Meanwhile, regardless of where one lives, one can go out and shoot very locally to work on comp, natural light, scenes, slices of life, etc. And, in digital you can hammer along, download and keep going vs that pesky roll of 36 exposures of film. Learn your cam, learn its settings, play with light, get off of Auto Exposure.

Fuzz's photography is right up there with some of the best stuff I have seen, and having been to several of the spots he has shot, he pretty well nails it, imo.
GL, mD
I would add a couple more tips.

You didn't mention a tripod. With a modern digital camera, shoot from a tripod at a low ISO in raw mode to give the best results. That will require using image software to massage the photo into final form. Stop the lens down to the sharpest aperture, usually somewhere in the middle of the aperture range. Only use high shutter speeds if you are forced to shoot hand held or you want to freeze motion in the object.

Never forget that you are not photographing things, you are photographing light. Lighting is critical, including time of day, direct, shade, overcast and season.

The real advantage of digital photography is that, except for studio work, photographers throw away 90%+ of all the frames they shoot. Don't be afraid to evaluate your own work, and just show the very best.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosy traveler View Post
Yes, Paris and other European cities are full of beautiful architectural landmarks, magnificent castles and cathedrals. I simply adore them!

So, you are not so keen on French Polynesia... I will bear in mind.
Twist words much?

I said that it isn't "all that" for photography. I didn't say I wasn't "keen" on it as a whole.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I would add a couple more tips.

You didn't mention a tripod. With a modern digital camera, shoot from a tripod at a low ISO in raw mode to give the best results. That will require using image software to massage the photo into final form. Stop the lens down to the sharpest aperture, usually somewhere in the middle of the aperture range. Only use high shutter speeds if you are forced to shoot hand held or you want to freeze motion in the object.

Never forget that you are not photographing things, you are photographing light. Lighting is critical, including time of day, direct, shade, overcast and season.

The real advantage of digital photography is that, except for studio work, photographers throw away 90%+ of all the frames they shoot. Don't be afraid to evaluate your own work, and just show the very best.
Or buy glass that can handle low light--f/2.8 works wonders without the need for a tripod--or shooting RAW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or