U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 06:58 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,229,820 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else suffer from a major case of wanderlust? I've traveled a bit in my life thus far--mostly to Canada and the eastern half of the US, but I find that not only do I want to travel places, I want to live there. Unfortunately, finances and family don't agree with moving all the time.

Does anyone else use travel as a way to satiate their desire to actually live in new places? How do you deal with basically wanting to live wherever you travel because it's always so much better than home?

EDIT: Also, how do you explain to family or friends your desire to travel just for the sake of it? I'd be the kind to take a two week trip to the middle of nowhere just to say I did it, and people find that hard to understand sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 07:08 AM

329 posts, read 477,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
Does anyone else suffer from a major case of wanderlust? I've traveled a bit in my life thus far--mostly to Canada and the eastern half of the US, but I find that not only do I want to travel places, I want to live there. Unfortunately, finances and family don't agree with moving all the time.

Does anyone else use travel as a way to satiate their desire to actually live in new places? How do you deal with basically wanting to live wherever you travel because it's always so much better than home?

EDIT: Also, how do you explain to family or friends your desire to travel just for the sake of it? I'd be the kind to take a two week trip to the middle of nowhere just to say I did it, and people find that hard to understand sometimes.
why do you care what some people find hard to understand? I travel because I want to - who cares what they think? You just need to take care not to sound like your experiences are so much more interesting then theirs, or imply a rejection of the lifestyle they have chosen. We’re all different with different interests etc.

Last edited by Chasva69; 01-30-2015 at 07:34 AM..

Old 01-30-2015, 07:44 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,079,798 times
Stop worrying about whether other people approve of your travel plans.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:49 AM

14,188 posts, read 6,454,319 times
Quote:

Isn't it always just for the sake of it when it comes to traveling? I mean, if it's not for business. Why else do people travel? Because they want to, that's the only reason you need. I can't imagine that your family or friends would look askance at you for wanting to travel. If they do, they need to get out more.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:29 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,881,229 times
Quote:

My wanderlust is permanent. Sometimes I want to live new places, other times visit, sometimes visit for extended periods.

But I also do like my home. I don't see the two as mutually exclusive. Travel and home are just different. Reading between the lines, it sounds like you don't much like your home. That seems like something worth fixing.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:47 PM

32,149 posts, read 33,059,143 times
Quote:

I used to want to wander more than now. I am still willing to travel but I don't want to do it as often as in the past. Most of my family and friends also like traveling so there is nothing that needs to be explained to them!

Old 01-30-2015, 04:13 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,229,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Isn't it always just for the sake of it when it comes to traveling? I mean, if it's not for business. Why else do people travel? Because they want to, that's the only reason you need. I can't imagine that your family or friends would look askance at you for wanting to travel. If they do, they need to get out more.
I think some of you misunderstood what I meant when I talked about people not understanding. I don't mean people are negative about it, just that they don't seem to "get it" and I was curious about the mental state of people like that. Or heck, people like me who have this urge and need to move on all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
My wanderlust is permanent. Sometimes I want to live new places, other times visit, sometimes visit for extended periods.

But I also do like my home. I don't see the two as mutually exclusive. Travel and home are just different. Reading between the lines, it sounds like you don't much like your home. That seems like something worth fixing.
No, I don't much care for where I live, but unfortunately that won't change. Not to sound too self-pitying but I think I've hit that point some people reach where they are stuck. This is where family and friends are. Uprooting my family for no particular reason other than "I want to" and without a stable, profitable career is just not going to work. I'd say that this could change when I retire, but I'm highly doubtful that'll ever be a phase of life for my generation. But everyone I know, family, friends, etc. seem rooted to this place which offers very little of interest and a lot to dislike. I guess I just don't understand that thinking.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:18 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,079,798 times
How old are you? If you are married with kids that might make sense. But spending your whole life in one place you don't like because that's where your extended family lives doesn't make much sense.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:28 PM

1,872 posts, read 5,793,209 times
My wife and I have wanderlust. Since graduating from college, we've lived in 5 places in 15 years. All of the moves have been self-initiated. Wanted to live near the mountains, so moved from Chicago to Denver. Wanted to really get in the mountains, so lived in a ski town. Wanted to experience Europe more, so moved to London. Wife got a job opportunity in New Zealand, so we figured, why not -- how many chances will we have to live at the edge of the world? So we jumped on that and are here now. In none of the moves did we hate where we lived -- but we wanted to experience something different.

We have been very lucky in that our jobs are flexible. I worked for a global company, and so was able to move with my job (e.g. I told my work that they'd need to find me a position in London to make the move to Europe). Our now 8-year old has lived on 3 continents so far and has adjusted to moving and traveling around. I'm guessing that may change as he gets into his teens, but so far it hasn't been an issue.

Some family members don't understand it and want us to stay "home" (it's hard to tell where "home" is for us anymore!), but we don't really worry about that. We can't live our lives according to others' desires. Other people have their own wants, needs, and desires. We all have different things we want out of our lives. For our part, we feel like there's a whole big world out there, with lots of interesting people, places, and things, and we'd like to see more of it. Sure, we could travel for a week or two and return "home" (without moving), but it's quite different when you're living there (and we still do travel from our new homes). There many nuances about Europe and NZ/Oceania/Australia that we would not have picked up from just a few vacations.

In terms of people "stuck" in a not-ideal place, it may be that despite being less-than-ideal, the known "bad" situation trumps the unknown situation they might encounter in a new place. For many/most, finding a new job in a new place is probably the biggest hurdle. Plus, if you've never moved before, it can be a daunting task (every time we move, we get better at it). Then there's the critical mass issue -- if enough of your family/extended family/friends are in the same place, you may not want to leave, even if you don't like the area.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,696 posts, read 40,074,231 times
Quote:
Does anyone else suffer from a major case of wanderlust? ... satiate their desire to actually live in new places? How do you deal with basically wanting to live wherever you travel because it's always so much better than home?

1) get a job that pays you to travel, there are plenty
. I did it for 30 yrs as a mechanical engineer / machinist / toolmaker.

Been traveling since birth (dad was a trucker, weaned on diesel smokestack). I had 50,000 miles trucking on my learner's permit. I made my kids log 20K before they could test for license.

Our Kids were homeschooled and had to accompany us on 3 international moves and to 20+ countries. (They now have the bug and travel a lot)

When we were not on foreign assignment we did a lot of 6 - 12 week field trips. (i.e. National Parks, Industrial Revolution, following the USA Civil War, Lewis and Clark, World Wars, farm / ranching / Alaska Fishing career 'working' vacations....)

Make travel a priority, and tailor your 'other-life' to fit. Forget explaining to others. No need. Do your duty for others wherever you happen to be. We just returned from a month in the Philippines, Volunteering in training program for troubled teens. no plans, therefore no interruptions / no missed expectations.
To enjoy our travel priority, we drive a 37 yr old car and eat and entertain on $100/ month (As we have for 35 yrs, including when with family). We live in a beautiful spot, as we have always been blessed with. We share our home and $$ for others to enjoy cheap / free travel. I have given away lots of air tickets / mileage.

Been doing this for 25+ yrs $10 / night staying with locals (worldwide) Stays have been fantastic and each one of thousands has been educational. (Staying in one tonight)
Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel