U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 02:10 AM

4,557 posts, read 5,123,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
At the risk of taking this thread in the wrong direction, your concern is irrational, as well as the others concern about Vienna. Mass shooting are terrible events in the US and well publicized but are statistically insignificant - much less that the chance of being struck by lightening.
However, San Bern was labeled a terrorist attack of course, thus you can also say your chances of being a victim of terrorism in the US is also about as likely as, according to the below, "as likely as being killed by your own furniture".

Americans Are as Likely to Be Killed by Their Own Furniture as by Terrorism - The Atlantic
My post was not to be taken seriously. I just wanted to show how unreasonable some Americans act right now when it comes to Europe by posting something equally obscure about the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 03:32 PM

14,188 posts, read 6,430,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
My post was not to be taken seriously. I just wanted to show how unreasonable some Americans act right now when it comes to Europe by posting something equally obscure about the US.
I agree. I've seen posts in this forum from americans so concerned about safety in other countries, whether it's pick pocketing, walking alone at night, rape, murder, what have you yet they fail to understand that the u.s. has high levels of crime yet they don't seem to express concern about that. What I'm trying to say is, people don't think twice about walking the streets here in the states, yet they fear doing it in other countries. It's like the second they leave the border they think they're going to be a victim of crime, never mind the fact that they're much more likely to be a victim of crime in their very own country. It's ridiculous.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:29 AM

6,774 posts, read 5,122,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I agree. I've seen posts in this forum from americans so concerned about safety in other countries, whether it's pick pocketing, walking alone at night, rape, murder, what have you yet they fail to understand that the u.s. has high levels of crime yet they don't seem to express concern about that. What I'm trying to say is, people don't think twice about walking the streets here in the states, yet they fear doing it in other countries. It's like the second they leave the border they think they're going to be a victim of crime, never mind the fact that they're much more likely to be a victim of crime in their very own country. It's ridiculous.
It's the same for Asians. Asians never shut up about how dangerous Europe is either, worrying about pickpockets and whatnot, as if we are living in some sort of bubbles. It's so retarded.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:50 AM

3,664 posts, read 6,486,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Funny thing is, I'd much rather walk around and feel way safer in Europe than in my hometown!!!!

Old 01-13-2016, 12:47 PM

14,188 posts, read 6,430,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Funny thing is, I'd much rather walk around and feel way safer in Europe than in my hometown!!!!
I know! That's what I find so weird, that people are so worried about safety overseas when they should be worried about where they actually live & breathe 24/7.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:49 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,294,382 times
It's only natural to be concerned... especially if language is a barrier.

Parts of Europe feel like a second home and others not so much.

I live in Oakland California and when I have visitors from Europe... they are apprehensive/afraid having heard all about Oakland as the most dangerous top 5 cities in California.

A young couple actually took self-defense classes prior to making a US holiday...

So far, they have all been pleasantly surprised...

Last year I had two exchange students from Salzburg Austria... they had a great time exploring the SF Bay Area and prior to going home... bought two bicycles and bicycled from Santa Cruz to Los Angeles on highway 1... memories of a lifetime and were overwhelmed at how friendly everyone they met along the way...

In full disclosure... the last day before they flew home... one of the bicycles did get stolen in Los Angeles...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 02-20-2016 at 03:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or