U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 02:23 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,139,015 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be staying in central London for the first time in over ten years later this month.

I do day trips from time to time and have relations I stay with in the suburbs, but this will be staying bang in the middle of the action and I'm really looking forward to it.

We have an exhibition we will be going to and will fit in one or two art galleries and a particular eatery I've always wanted to go to.

As far as I'm concerned, if you do your homework properly, there's something for everyone to enjoy in London, unless you're totally averse to cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 02:30 PM

2,177 posts, read 2,915,757 times
I am astounded by some of the cities people say they didnt like. The old saying, "to each, his own" applies here.

The only city we have visited that we were not crazy about was Porto, Portugal. Nothing really wrong with it, just not terribly interesting to us. We did enjoy the Port wine tour (Sandeman), but other than that, the most interesting part was the airport..which is massive for such a small destination.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:07 AM

2,143 posts, read 3,559,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The point is you can get food from every corner of the globe in London, it doesn't have to be British, Chinese or Italian, do you think that 'fish and chips' is the only British dish out there?
I live in DC, I felt like London was an extension of DC. Especially the "food from every corner of the globe." I can get that here. Truthfully, I do feel like I didn't give it a chance b/c we were there really for like a day and a half. I will go back, but it's not at the top of my list if that makes sense.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:51 AM

1,940 posts, read 938,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I just spent four days in Madrid and was disappointed. Despite all the good thing I hear, I find it boring.
We spent a week there this summer and loved Madrid, far more than Barcelona. Less touristy and had a more local feel to it.

Also we used 4 days for short day trips to Segovia, Avila, El Escorial and Alcala de Henares. Lovely towns. And a full day trip to Toledo at the end. There is so much to see in and near Madrid.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:19 AM

23 posts, read 21,797 times
I liked Eastern Europe because the people on the street had lived there for generations and it felt like Europe. Places like London are so diverse, you don't see many people who look or act like they are English anymore.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:13 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,428,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likable View Post
I liked Eastern Europe because the people on the street had lived there for generations and it felt like Europe. Places like London are so diverse, you don't see many people who look or act like they are English anymore.
Do you mean you don't see enough white people to your liking?

Old 01-05-2016, 11:57 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,095,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
I live in DC, I felt like London was an extension of DC. Especially the "food from every corner of the globe." I can get that here. Truthfully, I do feel like I didn't give it a chance b/c we were there really for like a day and a half. I will go back, but it's not at the top of my list if that makes sense.
I understand, I kinda felt the same way about Dubai. To me it was no different than any large American city aside from the Arabic writing on the buildings. Like you I wasn't there long enough to fully explore what it had to offer, I would go back but my expectations are tempered. Abu Dhabi on the other hand felt more unique.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:56 PM

6,703 posts, read 5,786,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Not sure how you misinterpreted that post.

The post is accurate.

I also found that in eastern Europe the old preserved for many generations culture was still alive and present and has yet to change for "political correctness" when immigrants arrive.

Just look at European cities cancelling the new years fireworks! What a joke!

Last edited by JetsNHL; 01-05-2016 at 05:05 PM..

Old 01-06-2016, 04:12 AM

23 posts, read 21,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I wanted to see the people and culture of the place. If they were white- great, if that is what is the historical norm.. Just like if I went to Africa and everyone was an asian immigrant, and I did not see any black or brown natives, that was be bad.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:42 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,095,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likable View Post
I wanted to see the people and culture of the place. If they were white- great, if that is what is the historical norm.. Just like if I went to Africa and everyone was an asian immigrant, and I did not see any black or brown natives, that was be bad.
Wanting to see the historical norm doesn't make sense since it will always change over time some places just change slower than others. That's like someone coming to the US because they expect to see Native Americans and are upset that that there are now black, white, and asian people there. The best you are ever going to get is being able to see a snapshot of the culture at the point and time you are there. To seek out a place because it has changed slowly is perfectly fine but to say that you are disappointed in a place because the people have changed will leave you fewer and fewer places to visit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or