Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 02:35 PM

4,211 posts, read 4,721,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The problem with Cuba right now is that I think if you want to visit legally on a US passport, you're still stuck with the pricey 'people to people' tour route instead of getting to base out of a cheap all-inclusive like the Canadians and Europeans do.
Exactly. Which is why I'm 99% sure she won't actually pick Cuba at this point. No one is going to be willing to go there and pay all that money and not have the freedom to pick and choose where they can go, when they can go, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 02:36 PM

So are people thinking Nicaragua isn't a good choice?

Old 02-09-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I know you said no to Mexico but ...

I recommend going 200km south of Cancun and stay in one of the eco-hotels in the Sian Ka'an Biosphere ... it's beautiful and just remote enough. You can do tours to the ruins, jungle, or cenotes.

This looks beautiful...thanks for sharing. Mexico is the one place I personally plan to go this year and I just can't wait. Looking at the Cancun/Playa del Carmen area as this will be my first trip to Mexico.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:59 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,082,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
This looks beautiful...thanks for sharing. Mexico is the one place I personally plan to go this year and I just can't wait. Looking at the Cancun/Playa del Carmen area as this will be my first trip to Mexico.
Playacar is getting too big, crowded, and noisy so if you want a bit more laid back vacation, go further south to Akumal or Tulum.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:10 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,759,828 times
Quote:
Exactly. Which is why I'm 99% sure she won't actually pick Cuba at this point. No one is going to be willing to go there and pay all that money and not have the freedom to pick and choose where they can go, when they can go, etc.
You also look into travelling to Cuba through another country. I know several people who have travelled to Cuba from the Cayman Islands, if you are a US Citizen they will not stamp your passport, rather they will stamp a piece of paper and collect it when you depart. You are then free to make any arrangements for your stay on the island

Old 02-09-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
You also look into travelling to Cuba through another country. I know several people who have travelled to Cuba from the Cayman Islands, if you are a US Citizen they will not stamp your passport, rather they will stamp a piece of paper and collect it when you depart. You are then free to make any arrangements for your stay on the island
Is this legal? I thought that the only legal way to visit as a US resident was through one of the people-to-people tours that restrict you to a tour schedule.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:40 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,759,828 times
Quote:
Is this legal? I thought that the only legal way to visit as a US resident was through one of the people-to-people tours that restrict you to a tour schedule.
It's not legal in terms of US government regulations but it is a common practice that people have been doing for years. You can also get to Cuba this way through Canada and Mexico. You do run the risk of getting in trouble if something happens in Cuba and you need the help of the US government but I haven't heard of anything like this happening for unofficial travelers

Old 02-09-2015, 03:50 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,775,410 times
Quote:
So are people thinking Nicaragua isn't a good choice?
I don't think I'm an overly cautious traveler, but would not be enthused about a trip to a country that is on the State Department TPS list for crime reasons, no matter how much it was claimed that the more touristy areas are safe.

Temporary Protected Status | USCIS

Old 02-09-2015, 03:54 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,275,154 times
I'd do some deep searching and see if you can swing Sicily. I was looking at a job there and the water there is amazing!

Old 02-09-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I don't think I'm an overly cautious traveler, but would not be enthused about a trip to a country that is on the State Department TPS list for crime reasons, no matter how much it was claimed that the more touristy areas are safe.

Temporary Protected Status | USCIS

yikes.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel