Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 07:05 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times

Advertisements

Yes, at the airport coming home from South America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 07:55 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
What do you guys do in this scenario? I'm traveling to Europe soon and this is my number one fear. I've purchased a money belt, but reading these stories...what exactly do you guys walk out with for the day? A few dollars and a debit card?
I don't know. I don't even think about it. Where are you going in Europe? Do you fear pickpockets at home in the USA or where ever you're from? It's like I can't imagine the people of Germany or France having to think about this before they go out, just like I or you, or anyone else normally doesn't. Don't look or act like a tacky tourist is probably all there is to it.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:20 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Yes. I was in Mexico on a train. A group of young men surrounded my boyfriend and I, and they were chatting and laughing. I remember one of them pinched my rear. I never felt them take my wallet out of my pocket, and I'd made it myself out of leather and it was reallly difficult to get in and out of my pocket - I'd made it that way deliberately. I think they must have removed it when I was pinched.

They got my tourist visa (didn't need a passport back then - 1975) and that was the biggest hassle. Took days to get another one, and we'd been on our way out of Mexico City. Was an expensive delay for us.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:40 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Gypsy kids tried to pick my fanny pack (back when fanny packs were de rigeur) in Rome ... I just slapped their hands away.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:56 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
What do you guys do in this scenario? I'm traveling to Europe soon and this is my number one fear. I've purchased a money belt, but reading these stories...what exactly do you guys walk out with for the day? A few dollars and a debit card?
In high risk areas I leave my passport and most of my cash safely locked in the safe in my room or in my flat. I use a money belt and only keep a small amount anywhere else. The guy skimming me that got the Kleenex I let do it, as I had nothing in my pockets except that. I hope he enjoyed it. Typically I am very aware of my space and know how to say "go away" in the language of any country I visit, and I say so when anyone gets too close.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:57 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I don't know. I don't even think about it. Where are you going in Europe? Do you fear pickpockets at home in the USA or where ever you're from? It's like I can't imagine the people of Germany or France having to think about this before they go out, just like I or you, or anyone else normally doesn't. Don't look or act like a tacky tourist is probably all there is to it.
I'm certainly aware even when I'm home. There are some scenarios which are more worrisome then others. Anytime I'm in a crowded place, it's in the back of my mind to mind my belongings and be aware.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:26 PM

556 posts, read 945,975 times
Only aware of one attempt - Arrived in Paris early in the morning, and took the bus from CDG to central Paris, then transferred to the Metro. While buying my carnet from a machine, a man offered to "help." This was not my first time in Paris, and I didn't need any help, but he insisted. He diligently watched me put my PIN in the machine, and was pretty clearly planning to lift my card/wallet. I put the card in my breast pocket, grabbed the tickets, and moved on.

I've never bothered with money belts. I carry a cross body purse with enough cash for the day, one credit card, and a copy of my passport photo page. In especially high risk areas (like walking La Rambla in Barcelona), I will take extra steps like putting everything in an internal pocket within the purse, with a safety pin holding the zipper in place. I leave all other cash, cards, and my passport in the room either in a safe on in my locked suitcase.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:37 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,688,983 times
Quote:
I wear a money belt that contains my passport, credit cards, and cash. Then I put spending money for the day in my front pants pocket. Sometimes I'll put things in the hotel safe but normally just electronics and copies of my passport.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:01 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
You've got it. Don't carry more cash easily accessible on your person than you're prepared to lose. Take two credit cards and two debit cards. Keep one credit card and debit card where you can get to them easily. The rest of your cash, the backup cards, and your passport should either be locked in the hotel safe (if you're staying in a hotel that has one), or safely hidden in your money belt or locked inside your luggage (if you're staying at a place that doesn't have a safe, such as a rented apartment). That way you're never at risk of losing EVERYTHING if you're pick-pocketed or your purse/pack is snatched, and you minimize the risk of losing your passport (which is the one document that is truly difficult to replace).

There's no need for fear, just take precautions and pay attention to what's going on around you and you'll be fine.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:19 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
I wear a money belt that contains my passport, credit cards, and cash. Then I put spending money for the day in my front pants pocket. Sometimes I'll put things in the hotel safe but normally just electronics and copies of my passport.
Your system is similar to mine. I put my iPhone, my cash for the day, a credit card, an ATM card if I'm planning to hit the ATM that day, and sundries like transit passes and museum tickets into a neck pouch that I wear under my shirt. It keep the items readily accessible, but reasonably secure from pickpockets (but not from anyone who might grab the neck cord and yank it hard).

My larger items such as guidebooks, travel umbrella, lightweight jacket, asthma inhaler, camera, etc. go into either a cross-body messenger bag or a lightweight travel backpack (which I generally prefer).

My passport, spare credit cards and spare ATM card, and emergency cash are either locked up in the hotel safe or secured in a money belt around my waist which I never touch in public. I also keep a photograph of my passport in a secure file online, and photocopies of it as well as some extra cash hidden in my locked luggage.

It may seem a bit cumbersome to some, but the system works well for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel