Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 09:58 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times

Advertisements

I went into a convenience store to prepay for gas just before taking a rental car back to the airport. It was a bad area and I was wired going in. I headed toward the cooler to get an iced tea while filling up. two young men came up to me. The short guy said, "Where are you going?" The tall guy went behind me and reached for my wallet in my left rear pocket.

I turned and grabbed his right hand with my right hand and brought it around in front of me. There was a column in front of me and I drove the tall guy's head as hard as I could into the column. With my left hand I grabbed his left trouser cuff and brought it up to shoulder height. He went face first onto the floor and did not move.

I said to the little guy, "You picked on the wrong old man azzhole" and took a step toward him. He turned and ran out the back door. The tall guy wan't moving so I went out the front, got into the rental car and drove off to find a better place to buy gas.

The surveillance video is probably used at a police academy somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 09:59 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Put both your phone and your wallet in the front pockets of your trousers and there is no way in hell something could happen.
The front pocket of your trousers is far safer than the back pockets, but not pickpocket-proof by any means. The person in my group who was successfully pickpocketed had his money lifted from the front pocket of his trousers.

(The front pocket of a shirt and the inside breast pocket of a jacket aren't safe from a skilled pickpocket, either. The pickpokets of Europe do this stuff for a living, folks, and they are GOOD at what they do!)

Old 02-20-2015, 10:00 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times
Thank God, I have never been a victim of pickpocketing, but I know of people who have. It's devastating, especially if you're on a fixed budget during your trip. I'm very careful, but not paranoid about my personal effects. I'm a petite female and I tend to walk with a 'Don't F with me confidence' and I reckon that works a lot.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
The island is safe, I did my research & not one time did I feel threatened. That was my decision & it worked out great. Thanks for your concern.
Oddly enough, the small out of the way places that novice travelers are afraid to visit are generally safer than the big cities they flock to. I gues the locals get so few visitors they're more interested in learning about them than ripping them off!

Old 02-20-2015, 10:13 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The front pocket of your trousers is far safer than the back pockets, but not pickpocket-proof by any means. The person in my group who was successfully pickpocketed had his money lifted from the front pocket of his trousers.

(The front pocket of a shirt and the inside breast pocket of a jacket aren't safe from a skilled pickpocket, either. The pickpokets of Europe do this stuff for a living, folks, and they are GOOD at what they do!)
The pickpockets of the good ol' USA are pretty good at it too. My husband had his wallet stolen from his front pants pocket as we were getting off the El in Chicago. He never knew it happened until he went to get his wallet a few minutes later and realized it had been stolen.

How it happened was apparently there was a team of bad guys -- one created a diversion as passengers were getting off the El by pretending to have his foot stuck in the door, meanwhile the other one grabbed my husband's wallet (and maybe other people's wallets in the confusion too).

I'm always very careful about carrying cash and credit cards etc while traveling, but my husband was very casual about these things. I guess he assumed his front pocket was safe, but it turned out he was wrong.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:42 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
No. Never. I use common sense and universal precautions. My valuables are never accessible to strangers.
But is the concern with getting ripped off and losing MONEY or is it with getting accosted and possibly injured in the process, the amount of money being secondary?

Anyone can use a money belt - that doesn't mean you won't get knocked down and your "NOT" valuables stolen!

Old 02-20-2015, 11:17 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
How would they know who is a local & who is not?
I live in Orlando. I can spot a tourist a mile away. They are pasty white or wearing belly bags or wearing EU football or rugby shirts or wearing Euro style shoes or in the case of the women, wearing bad bras or being all excited about being in the Florida Mall or wearing shorts and t-shirts when it's 60 out (and Floridians are dressed like Eskimos)or following a tour guide waving a little flag or all dressed in the same tour group shirt or any number of other dead giveaways.

Sometimes we can blend in. Other times not even close.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
But is the concern with getting ripped off and losing MONEY or is it with getting accosted and possibly injured in the process, the amount of money being secondary?
Well, this thread was started to ask about pickpocketing, and pickpockets are usually stealthy rather than violent, so the former is the major concern as far as the thread is concerned.

But you're right that protecting your valuables isn't the same as protecting your person! And that's a potential drawback to using a cross-body bag (especially if it's reenforced with a cable in the strap to make it slash-proof): if a purse-snatcher DOES grab it and run, you could be easily pulled over and possibly injured (especially if you're frail or elderly).

Sorry folks, there are no 100% safe and effective methods of protection out there. But even with all its "dangers," travel still beats sitting at home!

Old 02-20-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Oddly enough, the small out of the way places that novice travelers are afraid to visit are generally safer than the big cities they flock to. I gues the locals get so few visitors they're more interested in learning about them than ripping them off!
I generally agree. I have almost always felt completely safe in smaller cities and villages. Kotor after dark was an exception.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:25 AM

Pickpockets generally like to avoid detection and confrontation. They usually work in crowded areas--outside the Colosseum and at the Trevi Fountain in Rome and any crowded train terminal (Gare Du Nord in Paris) are classic spots. They also like to work in places where people typically let down their guard--churches like Notre Dame and St. Peters for example.

A decent but not 100% rule of thumb is that if you have paid admission to enter (a museum, historic site, etc.), your chances of encountering a pickpocket are significantly lowered--but not completely gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel