Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 06:21 PM

146 posts, read 116,210 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My fiancé and I are looking to get away from the winter in the Northeast for a week. We're considering Mexico. I never thought I would end up there, but because of it's proximately and price this may happen.

I do not know much about Mexico at all. I know there's Cancun, and Cabo. I did some research online and learned a little more about it.

About us......we recently got engaged, I'm 32, she's 31. We're still young and active, but we both don't want anything to do with a young college crowd. We plan on booking this thing ASAP, and would like to leave as early as next week. Not quite spring break yet I don't believe, but we both don't want to have anything to do with that young college scene.

We'll probably spend most of our time eating and relaxing on the beach. A bar or nightclub or two during our stay. I'm big on exploring, and would like to rent a car or ATV or something to get away from a resort for a day or two. So another question would be what part of Mexico is safe to do these things.

Any advice or if you can share your experiences would be great. Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 06:35 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,714,912 times
please don't do Cancun etc. That's not mexico and that's definitely not travel.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:14 PM

61,637 posts, read 87,001,838 times
If all you want to do is sleep, eat, relax on the beach, have few drinks and just get pampered - then yes, I would recommend Cancun.
Check my pix here: (click on pix to read description)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/697303...7635751016146/
We spent a week there and had really great time! The resort was brand new (9/2013). Room, food and personal concierge was fantastic. They really tried to read our mind and fulfill every wish.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Peninsula.html <<< check the reviews
We rented car (get insurance in the US, otherwise it will be expensive) and went to see Temple of Kukulkan, and Cenotes, Chichén-Itzá.
It was time well spent - we relaxed and rejuvenated. Far away from stress, work (turned off cell phones ), and a big city hassle.

While there, you can book a tour (tours are cheap plus door-to-door shuttle!) to Xenotes, Chichen Itza and Tulum, El Rey ruins, hobie cat, kayak, and snorkeling tour to Punta Nizuc Reef, try zipline or bungee swing, swim in a cenote, rent ATV, visit scuba center and deep life diving, rain forest at El Eden Ecological Reserve, and so much more.
Your concierge can arrange everything for you at the Best Discounts Day Tours.

Last edited by elnina; 02-23-2015 at 08:19 PM..

Old 02-24-2015, 09:01 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,981,726 times
Consider the Dominican Republic too (Punta Cana area)....just got back a month ago and it was great. Or for beaches and sun, the Bahamas, Grand Cayman, Puerto Rico.....all are safe and pretty. Or Mexico too -- I would just go wherever it is cheapest!

Old 02-24-2015, 09:37 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Go a bit south of Cancun to Playa del Carmen. It's still Americanized but not as big and loud as Cancun and won't be too much of a shock to your sensibilities since it's your first time to Mexico.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:52 AM

146 posts, read 116,210 times
Anybody know anything about Tulum? From I read it seems more remote than other Mexican destinations. Mayan ruins, etc are worth seeing (and something we would enjoy).

Again......beach, relax, good food, not too many people. I know the timing may not be ideal for this (March....spring breakers), but if we could find a place that suits our interests (and not too expensive) then we'll be there lol.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:06 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Tulum is touristy (it's a big cruise ship port, as well as its own popular destination--there's been a huge influx of yoga retreats in recent years) but it's pretty with nice beaches and feels relaxed. I'd be very concerned about obnoxious Spring Break college crowds in Cancun and Cabo this time of year.

I really liked Veracruz--some of my favorite food in Mexico, too.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:11 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Tulum is touristy (it's a big cruise ship port, as well as its own popular destination--there's been a huge influx of yoga retreats in recent years) but it's pretty with nice beaches and feels relaxed. I'd be very concerned about obnoxious Spring Break college crowds in Cancun and Cabo this time of year.

I really liked Veracruz--some of my favorite food in Mexico, too.
Tulum has a cruise ship port?

Old 02-24-2015, 11:03 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,981,726 times
You might check to see what type of deals Groupon has....we've gone on two of their trips (one to the Middle East for two weeks and one for a week in the Dominican Republic) and they were EXCELLENT! Great prices, beautiful accommodations. Just a thought that would save you some money...

Old 02-24-2015, 11:12 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Tulum has a cruise ship port?
Sorry, I meant to say it's got the cruise ship crowds (from Cozumel, I am guessing?). It's not particularly off the beaten path at any rate, but I did enjoy my time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel