Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 09:42 AM

146 posts, read 116,220 times

Advertisements

My fiancé and I are planning a trip.....10 days.....to southern Italy. We're flying out of NYC to Rome (at least that's the plan). Airfare and hotels look very cheap for this time since it's not their "busy" season.

My parents were born in Italy (Salerno.....near Naples). I was born and raised in NJ....never been to Italy, nor has my girl. I understand a few words and phrases in Italian but definitely not enough to maintain a conversation.

Just looking for some tips and advice with where to go and what to do in 10 days (we're figuring 8 days if you include the flight/travel days). I'm not the type of tourist that pays for a tour guide, gets on a bus and has somebody explain to me where we are, what this is, etc. I'm the guy that walks the streets on my own and does my own thing. I see a tourist attraction restaurant on a main street, I make a right turn at the corner, walk a few blocks and eat at a place where the locals eat at instead. Know what I mean?

Without putting too much thought or research into the trip yet my plan (at the moment) was to fly into Rome, spend a few days there, then everything south of Rome (Naples, Pompeii, Amalfi, etc). For anybody that has experience in this area I would like to get a general idea of the do's and don'ts if that is possible. Like for example, most tourists do this.....but don't because ********. Biggie for me would be advice on hotels, and transportation. I know traffic in Rome/Naples is even worse than NYC. So driving isn't an option for me there but outside of the cities, then yes.

Any information will be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 09:51 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
I would recommend hiring a local guide at the gate in Pompeii. I guarantee you will get more out of your visit by doing so. The cost is around $20 for four hours or so--well worth the money spent.

If you want to go to the "basement" level in the Colosseum you will need to book that as part of a tour. They book up well in advance. If it's too wet they will cancel that part though. You will want to visit early even if not part of a tour. The cruise ships start to show up around 10:30-11:00 am and by noon it's packed. Same with the Vatican Museum.

Otherwise there is really nothing that you'd benefit from having a tour guide for in those areas.

As far as Rome, once you land, take the Leonardo Express or the Trentalia train, depending on where your hotel is. Don't forget to validate the tickets in the yellow box before boarding--the fine is steep if you get caught not doing so.

If you are in NJ, PHL to FCO on US/AA can be the best alternative. Direct flights and often very reasonably priced.

Not sure exactly what else you are looking for as far as info.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:14 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
8 full days is enough for you to visit Rome, Naples, Pompeii and Amalfi. Maybe 3 days in Rome and the rest in other destinations. Pompeii is an easy day trip from Naples being only 15 miles away. Actually Pompeii doesn't require a full day, and you could visit Herculaneum as well. It is on your way to Pompeii from Naples. Time wise it is completely doable (2 hours in Herculaneum and 4 in Pompeii), but that's quite a lot of walking and requires some stamina.

In Rome, I found it very convenient to stay near Termini, the train station because that's the terminus for the Leonardo express, without further connection, and it is easy to get to the train station for Naples etc as well. Termini is within walking distance to most attractions. You won't even need to take the metro.

I suggest in visiting Amalfi coast, take the ferry from Salerno (cool to visit to parents birthplace too), instead of driving or taking the bus. The view from the ferry is spectacular. The towns are small enough to be explored on foot. Amalfi and Positano are amazing. I didn't have time for Sorrento, but you probably would.

I agree a guild is recommended for historical sites like Pompeii. Otherwise you will be staring at things without knowing much.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:21 AM

146 posts, read 116,220 times
My father (along with 8 other sibblings) were born and raised on a farm outside of Salerno. I have to find out exactly where and go visit while I'm there. My father passed, so I will speak to relatives before I go.

To my understanding, Naples is a dump. My father, and most of my family for that matter, have not been back there since they left to the US back in the late 50s. My dad was 7 or 8 years old I believe. They were farmers, and not much of the city type, but even asking other travelers I was advised to be careful in Naples (pickpockets, scam artist, etc). That stuff don't bother me being born and raised in a city. But I would like to stay away from crummy areas in Naples if possible.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:42 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybaggs View Post
My father (along with 8 other sibblings) were born and raised on a farm outside of Salerno. I have to find out exactly where and go visit while I'm there. My father passed, so I will speak to relatives before I go.

To my understanding, Naples is a dump. My father, and most of my family for that matter, have not been back there since they left to the US back in the late 50s. My dad was 7 or 8 years old I believe. They were farmers, and not much of the city type, but even asking other travelers I was advised to be careful in Naples (pickpockets, scam artist, etc). That stuff don't bother me being born and raised in a city. But I would like to stay away from crummy areas in Naples if possible.
I would agree with them about Naples. It was definitely seedy--although there were far more pickpockets and scammers in Rome. That place was about as bad as I've ever seen anywhere for them. Still love the city though.

I agree about seeing the Almafi coast from the water. It's spectacular. The ferry is cheap and convenient.

I would caution that the new owners of the farm might not welcome you with open arms. If your relatives know someone still living local, ask them to help you get an introduction. If you can arrange an introduction to the new owners through a local you will likely be welcomed with open arms and a fantastic meal and plenty of Grappa. Otherwise you will probably have a door slammed in your face at best--particularly as you don't speak the language.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:17 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,642 times
When you stay in Rome, choose a hotel away from Termini station.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:26 AM

2,118 posts, read 1,788,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
In Rome, I found it very convenient to stay near Termini, the train station because that's the terminus for the Leonardo express, without further connection, and it is easy to get to the train station for Naples etc as well. Termini is within walking distance to most attractions. You won't even need to take the metro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
And this is why asking for advice on c-d is an adventure

Old 02-25-2015, 11:39 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post

It's not necessarily an unsafe neighborhood but it's not the best-looking one neither. If I didn't have to stay here, I wouldn't but I wouldn't be too concerned about it neither.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:48 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,981,726 times
Definitely just roam around in Rome! Pay for the underground tour of the Colosseum and book it in advance online -- well worth the money to see it from a different perspective. Go up to Aventine Hill and look through the keyhole at the Vatican (Keyhole view of Vatican - unique off the beaten path in Rome - Review of Aventine Hill, Rome, Italy - TripAdvisor). It's a neat thing that many people don't do, and it IS possible to take a picture like the one on this website if you're even semi-good with a camera.

See the other famous sights but expect crowds and more crowds. We could barely even see the Spanish steps for the hoardes of people sitting on them and I had to climb up behind a street vendor to even get a halfway decent shot of the Trevi Fountain (which was gorgeous!). We passed on touring the Vatican because we aren't Catholic and it held absolutely no appeal to us; some people were appalled but even now, I have no regrets about our choice. Instead, we ate gelato just outside the walls and did some people-watching. It was fascinating!

One of the best things we did while in Rome was take a train to Orvieto for the day (a little over an hour, I think). We were wishing we had planned to spend a night there too, but we didn't. It is an AMAZING Italian hill town that is not to be missed. Roam around the winding streets, take the underground (literally) tour of the town, drink lots of Orvieto Classico wine, and take tons and tons of pictures. I just cannot stress how neat it was!

Skip Naples -- have heard the same about it from a friend who lived there.

When in Rome, you will be hassled by Indians hawking their cheap touristy crap. They are everywhere and will literally accost you from all angles; they trapped my mother by a fence at the Colosseum and would not leave her alone until my husband and I intervened and virtually threatened them in a Texas sort of way. ;-) They are everywhere, blocking your view of all the sights and getting in your pictures. I think that was one of the reasons Rome didn't hold a lot of appeal to me. One day, it was raining and we all clearly had umbrellas. One dude accosted me, shoving an umbrella up to my face and asking if I needed an umbrella. I yanked MY umbrella down and shoved it in his face, and said "Does it look like I need an umbrella??" I had had enough at that point. You will also be overwhelmed by the crazy drivers in the city. Be VERY careful when crossing the street -- the only places in the world that semi-compare to the craziness are Sheikh Zayed Road in Dubai and the town of Higuey in Dominican Republic!

Like you said, we found better food blocks off the touristy sections.....probably some of the best and cheapest food (and definitely the cheapest wine!) we found was a couple of blocks east of the Colosseum on Via di S. Giovanni in Laterano (one of the street spokes off the circle around the Colosseum) on the right side on a corner at Via Celimontana -- Pizzeria Luzzi. It was very local and the waitress came to know us throughout our week there, even yelling "American policeman!" at my husband everytime we walked past!! That little restaurant was one of our favorite things in Rome!

We rented a whole apartment on Apartments and B&Bs in Rome, Florence, Venice, Paris, Barcelona, London, Lisbon & Istanbul and it could not have been a better experience! Three blocks into a residential section east of the Colosseum (was NOT touristy at all) for a mere fraction of what you'd pay for a hotel anywhere in the area. This is the apartment we had: Foro Romano Appartamento Foro Romano | Rome | Cross Pollinate It was a 5-minute walk to the Colosseum subway stop. The owners of that company are Americans who packed up their lives and moved to Italy...super-nice and great accommodations.

One thing that we didn't do and I still regret is cross the river and just roam around the Trastavere section of Rome. The more I read on it, the more I wish we had spent a day just exploring it because it is not a touristy section, and is supposed to be more authentic Rome. Next trip...

Regardless of what you do, you'll have a blast!!! I especially like that you'll try to find family connections there. We did the same, only in San Zenone/Mussolente, north of Venice. We ended up staying with our family for four nights, even though we spoke no Italian and they spoke no English, and we really weren't even sure how we were related until we were able to compare notes and photographs. I got to see my great-grandfather's homeplace (of which I had an old picture)...we got to meet family who has a winery/vineyard (Dal Bello) there. Just an incredible experience!

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have!

Old 02-25-2015, 11:51 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
And this is why asking for advice on c-d is an adventure
haha. it really depends on your need.

When I travel I prefer convenience, which means easy access to things with minimum need for transportation/connections, and in that respect, Termini is an excellent choice. Of course the train station areas is not the most beautiful part of the city and there are all kinds of people, but I generally find it both safe and vibrant. I chose Termini solely because the transportation easiness - one ride from airport and you are at your hotel, and it is easy to take the train and go somewhere else too.

Others may prefer a more posh area with an ambiance, and don't mind a bit more inconvenience. I generally don't care about the neighbourhood character - I don't live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel