U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 07:06 PM

15,024 posts, read 21,739,781 times

Advertisements

The airlines really need to do something. Today I was stuck next to a guy spilling into my seat. Every time he moved he was squishing me. I couldn't move, and had to sit all the way to the left of my seat. I have so many knots in my back it is crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 03:25 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,579 posts, read 39,952,759 times
same thing seated with a 'big-mama' w/ 2 kids earlier this Week..(1 kid in lap)... WHAT lap?)

need to screen passengers to 17" width (same as seat).

Larger than 17", take a "W-I-D-E L-O-A-D" semi truck!

Old 03-02-2015, 10:36 AM

2,165 posts, read 1,228,588 times
That is why I rarely travel in America. No other country has such a high percentage of obese people and terribly behaving kids.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:45 AM

37,995 posts, read 55,769,955 times
Did you complain to the flight attendant?

Safety regulations from the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) mandate that passengers must be able to lower their armrests and sufficiently buckle and fasten their seat belts. However, the average seat width for a domestic economy flight ranges from 17 to 19 inches between the armrests. So what happens when you can’t fit in the seat? According to the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), airlines are not required by law to provide additional seating or an upgrade in the event additional space is required for a passenger.
There is no industry-wide policy, and each airline handles the situation differently.

Here is a list of airlines:
A breakdown of airline policies for Passengers of Size | CheapAir

However:
Who decides if someone fits in the seat, and when do they decide? Is it to be a flight attendant after the entire plane is boarded? If so, is she going to swipe the big person's credit card right there in the aisle? Is it somebody at the gate? At check-in? At the time of booking? Will there be a BMI (Body Mass Index) field on Internet booking sites now? Are we going to have to sit in a test seat, much like the metal cages that indicate whether or not your carry-on is regulation size? Is the TSA going to have a BMI scanner next?
http://www.independenttraveler.com/t...esity-policies
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:03 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
That is why I rarely travel in America. No other country has such a high percentage of obese people and terribly behaving kids.
LOL.

I took a budget airline last month, and the seats were pretty small. While I felt fine, many oversized passengers looked like they are stuck in a cage unable to move whatsoever. I felt sorry that they had to remain that position for 8 hours. Unimaginable.

Fortunately Americans love to travel more domestically.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:08 AM

37,995 posts, read 55,769,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
LOL.

Fortunately Americans love to travel more domestically.
Are domestic budget seats larger?
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:23 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Are domestic budget seats larger?
my point is
1) domestic flights are shorter
2) it is only a concern for Americans themselves

Old 03-02-2015, 12:11 PM

71,964 posts, read 83,625,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
That is a totally uncalled for statement. As for as poorly behaved kids,the worth I have even seen was a flight from London to America and they were kids from UK, not Americans.This could go for many regions of the country. I don't think you did anything by your comments, you certainly didn't answer the OPs question.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:17 PM

71,964 posts, read 83,625,334 times
I don't think there is a clear cut and fair way to solve this problem. When do you say, buy an extra seat or how do we judge what is too large for a single seat and what about the guy who isn't overweight but happened to be large, I mean in height. He is probably going to take up more room. Is it fair to ask him to pay more? I think many of us have been positioned next to a large person, it is a miserable ride, but only in the most extreme cases can much be done about it. BTW, yes, the budget lines usually do have smaller seats,so do the regional jets, compared to the larger planes. maybe the answer is "anyone who needs an extender has to pay for an extra seat" I just don't think there is an answer.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:21 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,238,434 times
If you travel during off peak hours you generally have more seating options available.
Also, unless the flight staff knows you are haiving an issue they cannot try to fix the issue so it is best to say something to one of them when the issue shows itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or