U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2008, 12:32 AM
Her Her started this thread

291 posts, read 744,879 times

Advertisements

As a graduation gift to myself, which is about a year off, I plan to visit the statue of Freddie Mercury in Montreux. I want advice from those that have been there. Any pointers or things that I should know? Should I be brushing up on my foreign language skills or will I meet people that speak English? any recommendations on hotels or transportation? Any advice is helpful!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 10:27 AM

12,275 posts, read 18,401,528 times
Bring a high limit credit card!

Switzerland is extremely expensive even compared to the rest of Europe.

Sorry, not much more advice than that, but at least I am bumping up your post. Also, almost everyone speaks English, that won't be a problem.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:03 PM

2,257 posts, read 6,970,506 times
I visited Montreux last April as part of a month-long backpacking trip, and I absolutely fell in love with the place.

The Freddie Mercury statue is located along the "Quai des Fleurs", the promenade that runs along the shore of Lac Léman (Lake Geneva). The name of the promenade is very appropriate, since it's lined with a spectacular variety of beautiful flowers (it really is the "Swiss Riviera"). The view of the Alps across the lake is simply breathtaking.

I highly recommend walking along the Quai, for about a mile south of downtown Montreux, to the Château de Chillon. It's arguably one of the most picturesque and interesting castles in Europe. It feels perfectly preserved.

Although I didn't do this myself, most people who visit Montreux take the train up to the Rochers-de-Naye for an incredible view of Lake Geneva and the Alps. I actually took the train east from Montreux along the "Golden Pass" line that crosses Switzerland. If you have the time, I would also highly recommend this train ride, at least to Interlaken. The scenery along the way is simply amazing.

As far as transportation is concerned, you might want to look into a train pass like the Eurail Pass, which you can also use on the Golden Pass line (although you need to pay a little more for a reservation in one of the "panoramic" trains), and for easy access to Geneva. Montreux itself is fairly compact, however, so you can see everything on foot.

It might be a good idea to practice your French before you go, at least enough to read the road signs, train schedules etc. I speak French fluently but it seemed to me that a lot of people there were multilingual, so I think you shouldn't have many problems using English. It's an international destination, with the jazz festival and everything.

Can't say much about hotels, although if you're looking to save money, the youth hostel is pretty nice.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:34 AM

11,979 posts, read 17,493,843 times
Yes bring lots of money. And then more.

Switzerland is small, so its pretty easy to get around on their excellent rail system. Buy some kind of pass to save some funds. Visit the German and Italian parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel