Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 02:43 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times

Advertisements

Another troubling story is going around on tripadvisor and facebook about another recent incident on hotel property. I think going into town, going into the hills have your bearings about you but your hotel and room is a place you should feel safe. There's more and more reports of stuff like this happening when security is conveniently gone for a few minutes or switching shifts.

Update On Jamaican Farewell: Why I Cancelled My Jamaican Vacation & Why I Won't Be Going Back Anytime Soon ~ Rules For Rebels

Me and my Partner stayed at Xtabi for one week in January, I am so late writing this review as I wanted to give the owner a chance to explain himself with regards to the nature of the events which were to unfold during our stay.
On our 3rd last morning I got up early as I always had, and was sitting on the porch, apparently this was around the time security was due to change as well, and instead of one waiting for the other to arrive, he left the entrance unattended. A man approached me on the balcony with cleaning equipment (as very few xtabi staff wear uniforms it is impossible to tell who is working there and who is not), I spoke with him for a few minutes, seemed genuine enough. Once he left my boyfriend shouted down that we had been robbed (a samsung s5 and $200), I think out of sheer adrenalin, I ran after the man, he caught me on the path and dragged me back to the villa, (all the while i was shouting get your hands off me), he then produced a machete, with the words 'Well Im packing', terrified we barely moved and he left.
Although this is an awful experience, it was the brush under the carpet treatment that really distressed us further. We met with the police that day and were told we had to be given compensation as the low level of security and lack of uniforms was dangerous for clients. we were due to meet the 'tourist' police at 3pm. of course our day was ruined and we hung around waiting for this man to arrive, but of course he didn't. we were told 'o its actually tomorrrow', so last day is ruined as well. At 3 pm again the next after hanging around again no show, the manager rung him again he said 5pm. i asked to speak with the original police woman and were told the 'tourist' police were on their way. I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist but to be honest I think this was a scam. the man arrived (obviously not wanting me to contact the first police woman) couldn't give me her name, contact info or our original statement. In fact he didn't even want to give us another statement so we could try to claim insurance, he also told us the first police officer lied when she told us we should get compensation (she at least looked professional, had a badge and arrived in a police car, unlike him) he also got mad when I said I had been in contact with the embassy (I kept my mouth shut after that). I was told by management that they could not make any decisions as the owner was away (how convenient), he would be back in a week. so I left it two weeks and emailed to confirm there would be no further correspondence from him, he replied with a very altered version of the events to which I cleared up for him and he never contacted me again. I was never asked if me or my partner were ok, would we like to change rooms or did we need anything. Absolutely appalling. in relation to the rooms, very outdated, over priced. beautiful views, Ant infestation in our room which we were handed a can of spray for (thanks). Our steps down to the sea was rusty and hanging in there by wedged rocks (probably safer to dive in). Food is average, Office staff not very helpful when I wanted to organise trips. Rented over priced snorkling gear that broke twice, in the end we just rented off another hotel which was half the price for better gear.
Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Rooms
1 of 5 stars Cleanliness
1 of 5 stars Service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 05:20 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I agree regardless of whether outside of the country or in have some common sense but yes I would carry a designer purse on Michigan avenue and not think twice about it. That said I would not go walking around englewood or pullman with that same stuff.
And sadly common sense is what a lot of people leave home. They assume that they are 'safe' on a resort and can let their guard down. You can't. Yes, there is crime on the resorts, (and this is NOT an excuse for stealing) but a huge number of those resorts workers make less than $100 USD a week. They work long hours and usually have a 1-2 hr commute by bus and taxi (if they can afford it). The resorts are making money hand over fist and wont' pay their employees a decent wage. As I said, that's not an excuse for stealing, but I think for some the temptation is just too great. It's sad because Jamaica is a beautiful country and the people are just as beautiful, but they need to clean up the mess that's going on down there right now.

I can't say anything more about the resorts because I've never stayed on one...never had the need or the desire (own my home there) but I do know people who work on them.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Another troubling story is going around on tripadvisor and facebook about another recent incident on hotel property. I think going into town, going into the hills have your bearings about you but your hotel and room is a place you should feel safe. There's more and more reports of stuff like this happening when security is conveniently gone for a few minutes or switching shifts.

Update On Jamaican Farewell: Why I Cancelled My Jamaican Vacation & Why I Won't Be Going Back Anytime Soon ~ Rules For Rebels

Me and my Partner stayed at Xtabi for one week in January, I am so late writing this review as I wanted to give the owner a chance to explain himself with regards to the nature of the events which were to unfold during our stay.
On our 3rd last morning I got up early as I always had, and was sitting on the porch, apparently this was around the time security was due to change as well, and instead of one waiting for the other to arrive, he left the entrance unattended. A man approached me on the balcony with cleaning equipment (as very few xtabi staff wear uniforms it is impossible to tell who is working there and who is not), I spoke with him for a few minutes, seemed genuine enough. Once he left my boyfriend shouted down that we had been robbed (a samsung s5 and $200), I think out of sheer adrenalin, I ran after the man, he caught me on the path and dragged me back to the villa, (all the while i was shouting get your hands off me), he then produced a machete, with the words 'Well Im packing', terrified we barely moved and he left.
Although this is an awful experience, it was the brush under the carpet treatment that really distressed us further. We met with the police that day and were told we had to be given compensation as the low level of security and lack of uniforms was dangerous for clients. we were due to meet the 'tourist' police at 3pm. of course our day was ruined and we hung around waiting for this man to arrive, but of course he didn't. we were told 'o its actually tomorrrow', so last day is ruined as well. At 3 pm again the next after hanging around again no show, the manager rung him again he said 5pm. i asked to speak with the original police woman and were told the 'tourist' police were on their way. I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist but to be honest I think this was a scam. the man arrived (obviously not wanting me to contact the first police woman) couldn't give me her name, contact info or our original statement. In fact he didn't even want to give us another statement so we could try to claim insurance, he also told us the first police officer lied when she told us we should get compensation (she at least looked professional, had a badge and arrived in a police car, unlike him) he also got mad when I said I had been in contact with the embassy (I kept my mouth shut after that). I was told by management that they could not make any decisions as the owner was away (how convenient), he would be back in a week. so I left it two weeks and emailed to confirm there would be no further correspondence from him, he replied with a very altered version of the events to which I cleared up for him and he never contacted me again. I was never asked if me or my partner were ok, would we like to change rooms or did we need anything. Absolutely appalling. in relation to the rooms, very outdated, over priced. beautiful views, Ant infestation in our room which we were handed a can of spray for (thanks). Our steps down to the sea was rusty and hanging in there by wedged rocks (probably safer to dive in). Food is average, Office staff not very helpful when I wanted to organise trips. Rented over priced snorkling gear that broke twice, in the end we just rented off another hotel which was half the price for better gear.
Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Rooms
1 of 5 stars Cleanliness
1 of 5 stars Service
No Jamaican uses the term "Well, I'm packing"....and there is no such thing as the 'tourist' police. There is onsite security and I think the resort was trying to cover their ass and didn't want the local police onsite. You could've called the police yourself, right from your room, by dialing 119.....they would've come and handled your situation.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
And sadly common sense is what a lot of people leave home. They assume that they are 'safe' on a resort and can let their guard down. You can't. Yes, there is crime on the resorts, (and this is NOT an excuse for stealing) but a huge number of those resorts workers make less than $100 USD a week. They work long hours and usually have a 1-2 hr commute by bus and taxi (if they can afford it). The resorts are making money hand over fist and wont' pay their employees a decent wage. As I said, that's not an excuse for stealing, but I think for some the temptation is just too great. It's sad because Jamaica is a beautiful country and the people are just as beautiful, but they need to clean up the mess that's going on down there right now.

I can't say anything more about the resorts because I've never stayed on one...never had the need or the desire (own my home there) but I do know people who work on them.
Im kind of a paranoid person so when I leave my room I'll check the room safe 3-4 times, normally even after I leave will go back and check again, don't leave out my laptop or anything. I typically lock stuff up when sleeping as well but the most troubling thing to me is people being assaulted and/or robbed in their rooms at night when their sleeping. One time you cannot possibily have your wits about you is while your eyes are closed and your sleeping, that has nothing to do with leaving common senese at home, that is a hotel not doing their duty to provide a secure environment.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
No Jamaican uses the term "Well, I'm packing"....and there is no such thing as the 'tourist' police. There is onsite security and I think the resort was trying to cover their ass and didn't want the local police onsite. You could've called the police yourself, right from your room, by dialing 119.....they would've come and handled your situation.
Your completely wrong, there absolutely is such a thing as tourist police. Jamaica and Negril and Westmoreland have a regular police dept but they also have tourist police, these are the guys and women in the navy and white uniforms with the old british style hats/helmets. They walk the beach and tourist areas. Basically just making a presence so everyone behaves but they are also a bit more focused on tourist a bit friendlier than the local police, etc.

I agree the I'm pakcing part sounds kind of forced but its some womens recreation of the incident so she probably just plugged in a word, the guy was probably speaking a strong patois and she probably didn't have a clue what he really said.

This isnt an isolated incident either and its not just this property, several recent reports of breakins at rhondel village, another incident with a knife at rooms on the beach and probably at least a half dozen other similar stories in the past month or two

Old 03-15-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Your completely wrong, there absolutely is such a thing as tourist police. Jamaica and Negril and Westmoreland have a regular police dept but they also have tourist police, these are the guys and women in the navy and white uniforms with the old british style hats/helmets. They walk the beach and tourist areas. Basically just making a presence so everyone behaves but they are also a bit more focused on tourist a bit friendlier than the local police, etc.

I agree the I'm pakcing part sounds kind of forced but its some womens recreation of the incident so she probably just plugged in a word, the guy was probably speaking a strong patois and she probably didn't have a clue what he really said.

This isnt an isolated incident either and its not just this property, several recent reports of breakins at rhondel village, another incident with a knife at rooms on the beach and probably at least a half dozen other similar stories in the past month or two
LOLOL They aren't police....they are security guards...that's it. They most they can do is detain an offender until the actual police show up ( and beat the crap out of them if they so choose to)

No, sadly its not an isolated incident and it really breaks my heart. As I said, this is a beautiful island with lots of potential, but it seems like there are some who are hell bent on tearing it down. Things have cleaned up quite a bit, corruption is being handled and addressed (as the best they can) but the young folk are finding that it's easier to rob, cheat and steal than work hard, get an education and do the right thing.

Just an FYI: A majority of these resorts aren't Jcan owne...if you really have issues with the resort..take it out on the resort...not the island. They do hire Jcan's, but as I said, they pay very little and they do use scare tactics to keep guests on the resort.

I've never had an issue in all the years I've lived and worked here. Knock on wood.

Last edited by Kim in FL; 03-15-2015 at 09:11 AM..

Old 03-15-2015, 10:55 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
A friend of mine was murdered in Montego Bay. He and his wife had walked a block from their hotel for dinner, and on the way back they were mugged. Despite them giving the muggers all money/cards/jewelry he was still stabbed in the heart and died on the street. This was 25 years ago, and if anything, Jamaica has gotten worse since then.

The majority of the Caribbean is a cesspool of crime. Even cruise visitors on organized tours have been robbed at gunpoint. With so many other parts of the world which are far safer, cleaner, and more beautiful, I see no reason to visit most of the Caribbean or the Bahamas.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
A friend of mine was murdered in Montego Bay. He and his wife had walked a block from their hotel for dinner, and on the way back they were mugged. Despite them giving the muggers all money/cards/jewelry he was still stabbed in the heart and died on the street. This was 25 years ago, and if anything, Jamaica has gotten worse since then.

The majority of the Caribbean is a cesspool of crime. Even cruise visitors on organized tours have been robbed at gunpoint. With so many other parts of the world which are far safer, cleaner, and more beautiful, I see no reason to visit most of the Caribbean or the Bahamas.
I hear so many people treat muggings as casual. Muggings are a life or death situation, its not as easy as just hand over your stuff and your safe. Many of these people are high on drugs or mentally ill, even if they aren't they are scared and if they get scared may stab or shoot you. Honestly I dont know whats the best way to handle a muging, hand over your stuff and hope all goes well or fight to the death. I had a guy tell me he was gonna stab me if I didn't give him my money on the beach in Jamaica. I balled up my fists and was about to go at the guy but decided just to start walking, fortunately he didn't folllow me

Old 03-18-2015, 12:30 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,981,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
How about Grand Cayman's 7 Mile Beach though it seems that neither are actually 7 miles long. Al least Cayman is safer and you don't have the pushy people you see on other islands. There are enough Jamaicans there that you will can easily get your fix for Jamaicans food. One downside is that it's way more expensive there
I must second Grand Cayman -- we love that place! It is so safe, so clean, such beautiful beaches and water. We had a rental car and stayed way out on the West End in a dive resort nestled in a residential area, so nowhere near the touristy/cruise areas...and we never felt unsafe or harassed, even while driving all over the entire island and eating in locals places. It was bliss! (And you can get that jerk chicken fix at Chicken!Chicken! too....) It was more expensive that other Caribbean islands, but not so much that it was cost prohibitive to do anything you wanted to do.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:06 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Grand Cayman is one of the nicest islands in the Caribbean. St. John is another. Both have low unemployment and good standards of living (for the Caribbean) so the crime rate is much lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel