Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 03:13 PM

39 posts, read 41,366 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 07:05 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,969 times
GO FOR IT!! You will be fine! Don't even worry!

Try taking a 17' Boston Whaler skiff out 30 miles to sea and back, all by yourself in 3 ft waves, and THEN you'll think nothing of traveling "solo" to Europe, surrounded by other travelers at all times!!

Old 03-11-2015, 10:09 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Any chance your employer will allow you to take unpaid time off?

Old 03-11-2015, 12:56 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,951 times
I was younger than you (still in College) when I made my first solo travel (I went to China). It was one of the best things I've done for myself.

Go for it. You only live once.

Find out from your employer if you can take an extended unpaid leave / sabbatical for 3-4 months. A lot of companies allow that and you still have a chance to come back to your job.

When it's time for you to book your accommodations, stick with small family owned B&B or hostels. Aside from cost saving, you will have a better chance to interact with other people, usually fellow travelers who are happy to chat, thus giving you a chance to make new friends so you won't feel lonely. I'm not saying you won't meet fellow travelers in 4-5 star hotels, but in my opinion, family owned B&B and hostels simply have the best ambiance for solo travelers. You may even meet with folks who are going your way and decide to go together to save money. Not all hostels are created equal, there are many good quality hostels in Europe you can choose, some hostels are actually former Castles that have been converted into lodgings. Other unusual and cheaper accommodations include convents (they often include free breakfast, just be sure to come back by 10-11pm or the nuns will lock the door on you!), or if you're traveling in summer, some local universities may rent out their empty dorm rooms to travelers at a much cheaper price than staying in a hotel.

I personally don't like to take a 'walking' vacation in summer since I hate walking in the heat and humidity. Go in shoulder seasons (Spring & Fall), even Winter. It's cheaper, less crowded, and you won't sweat as much.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:15 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I was younger than you (still in College) when I made my first solo travel (I went to China). It was one of the best things I've done for myself.

Go for it. You only live once.

Find out from your employer if you can take an extended unpaid leave / sabbatical for 3-4 months. A lot of companies allow that and you still have a chance to come back to your job.

When it's time for you to book your accommodations, stick with small family owned B&B or hostels. Aside from cost saving, you will have a better chance to interact with other people, usually fellow travelers who are happy to chat, thus giving you a chance to make new friends so you won't feel lonely. I'm not saying you won't meet fellow travelers in 4-5 star hotels, but in my opinion, family owned B&B and hostels simply have the best ambiance for solo travelers. You may even meet with folks who are going your way and decide to go together to save money. Not all hostels are created equal, there are many good quality hostels in Europe you can choose, some hostels are actually former Castles that have been converted into lodgings. Other unusual and cheaper accommodations include convents (they often include free breakfast, just be sure to come back by 10-11pm or the nuns will lock the door on you!), or if you're traveling in summer, some local universities may rent out their empty dorm rooms to travelers at a much cheaper price than staying in a hotel.

I personally don't like to take a 'walking' vacation in summer since I hate walking in the heat and humidity. Go in shoulder seasons (Spring & Fall), even Winter. It's cheaper, less crowded, and you won't sweat as much.

Absolutely! No way in hell would I want to visit Europe in the summer! Wayyy too crowded. I'd rather go in the winter, but either April/May or Oct/Nov would be my first choice.

Why so many people choose to go in July or Aug when its not just more crowded, but also more $$$, I have no idea!!!

Old 03-13-2015, 10:55 AM

32,639 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rathernotsayyy View Post
...........I am a 24 year old female that has recently become obsessed with the idea of backpacking through Europe .......If I travel alone for 2 months, I have no doubt I'll get lonely .........What was it like traveling alone, ........
Europe, especially if you stay in Western Europe, is quite safe. Use some common sense and stay out of bad areas and take a few minutes to learn how to defeat the pick pockets.

You won't be lonely. It's a tradition for European youth to take backpacking trips around Europe so there will be young people traveling everywhere that you are traveling.

Not everyone in Europe is fluent in English, but everyone in Europe can understand enough English so that you can order in restaurants and buy food and obtain a room for the night. You won't have a difficult time getting around. The popular tourist sites will have someone on staff who speaks English. However, it is much appreciated if you make an effort to communicate instead of expecting the world to cater to your own language limitations.

On one of my trips to Europe, I went through a British camping company that has campsites set up in resorts all over Europe. The campsite is complete with everything except your sleeping bag and food.

But there are youth hostels all over Europe that are safe and clean. There are lots of guide books to tell you where they are located.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:24 PM

310 posts, read 1,700,163 times
Some excellent advice here, especially about asking for a leave of absence at your job so maybe you can return to it. Another suggestion-- since you're concerned about finances & want to keep your apartment, have you considered subletting it for the two months you're gone? Many travelers do that.

Years ago when I was checking out another part of the country to live, was able to sublet my apartment for 3 months to a mature woman, a traveling nurse who needed a furnished place to stay during that time & it worked out great for both of us!

Old 03-14-2015, 08:30 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
I want to clarify that no one tried to force themselves on me. When I told them to go away and leave me alone, they did. So I was in no danger from them. I wasn't out alone after dark as always managed to be back in my room by then. If with others, then I went along. I never felt like I was in danger.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:13 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
I would be leery of backpacking as a solo woman. Some parts of Europe are safer than others. Paris, Barcelona, and Rome plus Montenegro at night are definitely areas you need to be very aware of your surroundings.

I think $60 a day for a hotel bed, meals, and sightseeing is a bit low. Admission to museums and other buildings in some parts of the world is free, but others can be quite pricey--the Louvre, the Roman Forum, and Westminster Abbey come to mind. Those would eat up 25-50% of the daily budget in one swoop.

London is safe, but very expensive. Even a cheap sandwich or soup and bread at a prepackaged type place like Pickles or Pret A Manger was $10. The cheapest pub meal I had was about $12 before drinks. That was just for something simple like a burger or fish and chips--and not in a tourist neighborhood, either.

Rome can be affordable--a small pie or bowl of pasta can be had for about $6 outside the tourist areas.

Paris is someplace in between.

Best values are found in more out of the way areas--Portugal, Croatia (where you can use the ferry system to hop along the coast), and even parts of Germany can be safe, accessible, and affordable.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:35 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Absolutely! No way in hell would I want to visit Europe in the summer! Wayyy too crowded. I'd rather go in the winter, but either April/May or Oct/Nov would be my first choice.

Why so many people choose to go in July or Aug when its not just more crowded, but also more $$$, I have no idea!!!
Actually, we found that Paris is August was delightful. Maybe 30 % of the restaurants were closed but the ones that were open seemed glad to have our business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel