U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2008, 09:08 PM

1,917 posts, read 6,447,892 times

Advertisements

I have been researching a trip I want to take with my family to Oaxaca and Puerto Escondido. It seems we would have to fly into Oaxaca and then take a bus into PE b/c the flights to PE are way higher. Do you all recommend I work with a travel agent to book the flights or see if they have some sort of package? Any recommendations? I live in McKinney, TX

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 12:32 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,173,691 times
Travel agents are good at hunting down bargains and air reservations. I would try using one and see what happens.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:16 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,919,576 times
I guess it depends on how much research you want to do.
I'd figure it out myself, but maybe you'd prefer to use a travel agent.
The bus ride is long but if you have a comfy bus you'd be okay. Looks like an interesting spot.
According to a New York Times article (published yesterday):
GETTING THERE Flights from New York go nonstop to Mexico City, connecting with Click Mexicana, which flies to Puerto Escondido in the southwest of the state of Oaxaca. Or you can fly to Houston and connect with flights to Huatulco, about a two-hour drive from Puerto Escondido.
Here is the article: link
(You have to register [free] to read the NYT.)

Old 01-12-2008, 08:13 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,889,129 times
It depends. Sometimes travel agents do not have access to fares that the internet sites can get.

I asked my 80 year old dad to meet our family in Hanoi last year. He went to a travel agent who said she could do it cheaper than what I was seeing on the internet.

She took a 200 dollar deposit. Three weeks later, it turned out he was only on a waiting list with our departure less than a month away. She said he had the option to pay 300 more and he could have a sure thing only that he had a lay over in Taipei for 8 hours.

Conversely on my side I let my buddy contact his agent and we ended up spending about a thousand bucks more because we did not get a firm price until just weeks before we left.

When I heard this, I went to Expedia and found a fare for 1000 that was 1) a good price and 2) a fare I could just book by clicking that button right that second. I asked the agent if she could just get him on this flight and she said no. I clicked the button, she kept the 200 deposit. There is something to be said about taking humans out of the loop.

Booking online gets you your ticket and your price right then and there. No excuses.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:54 PM

2,031 posts, read 6,140,994 times
Default Travel Agent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
I have been researching a trip I want to take with my family to Oaxaca and Puerto Escondido. It seems we would have to fly into Oaxaca and then take a bus into PE b/c the flights to PE are way higher. Do you all recommend I work with a travel agent to book the flights or see if they have some sort of package? Any recommendations? I live in McKinney, TX

Thanks.
As a former travel agent I can say the profession has changed from a travel
agent to a travel seller. I doubt if there is a package for your proposed trip.
It sounds like you have done good research yourself. I don't see any advantage in using a t/a for booking flights either. Travel agents are good with cruises, package tours(when its a popular destination) and general advise. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or