Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 05:43 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,054,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You shouldn't use debit cards, only CC's. There is NO protections with a debit card. If someone drains your account that's it. You can fight it but in the meantime your money is gone gone gone. If someone makes fraudulent charges on a CC you dispute it and aren't out anything in the meantime. It's personal finance 101.
Your personal finance 101 is incorrect. Any card with the Visa or Mastercard logo DOES HAVE protection, you are wrong telling people it doesn't. You may be liable for the first $50 but after that you are covered.

I agree with your overall sentiment though. A loss on an ATM card you are out that cash for up to 45 days, with a credit card any loss is on paper only
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 05:55 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,800,013 times
My advice is to only use the card at well known banks during banking hours. That way if the card gets eaten the bank is able to retrieve it for you.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:54 PM

13,255 posts, read 22,650,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post

I agree with your overall sentiment though. A loss on an ATM card you are out that cash for up to 45 days, with a credit card any loss is on paper only

Depends on the bank. With our credit union and the payroll data hack, people were getting money refunded within 24 hours of them letting the CU know that a withdrawl was fraudulent.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:07 PM

30,457 posts, read 17,876,776 times
I haven't lost a debit card before traveling, but my card was deactivated before travel due to some national security breach (I used to bank with BoA for checking account needs). Thankfully, I still had my credit card to get me through my trip, though. I would have liked to have been able to run into the local bank branch and withdraw funds from the teller window, but this happened at a period where banking center operations were closed.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:21 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Your personal finance 101 is incorrect. Any card with the Visa or Mastercard logo DOES HAVE protection, you are wrong telling people it doesn't. You may be liable for the first $50 but after that you are covered.

Anyone who believes that you are only liable for the first $50 on a MC or Visa credit card is a candidate to buy the Brooklyn Bridge. If your credit card is lost or stolen, you are only liable for the first $50 AFTER you informed the issuing bank of its loss. As for any charges made before you informed them of the loss, they are up for grabs; good luck disputing those with the bank. However, if the bank thinks that the cardholder, anyone in the cardholder's household, or anyone related to the cardholder made those disputed charges, regardless if they were made before or after the cardholder informed them of the loss, the bank will hold the cardholder responsible, and if necessary will sue the cardholder to get the money legally owed to them. This happens more often than one can imagine. Don't ask me how I know.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:21 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,481,829 times
Lol, I don't know how anyone can say with a straight face not to use your debit card ever while on vacation. Where exactly are you supposed to get your money from? My paychecks go directly into my checking account, that's what my debit card is for. My credit card has a limited balance & I only want one credit card. I'm not about to pay fees to take cash out of my credit card. I use my debit card for everything because.....that's where my money is. One time I had my bag stolen while in Malaysia. Do I still use my debit card? Yep. I just do not understand that "tip".

Old 03-16-2015, 08:36 AM

30,457 posts, read 17,876,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Lol, I don't know how anyone can say with a straight face not to use your debit card ever while on vacation. Where exactly are you supposed to get your money from? My paychecks go directly into my checking account, that's what my debit card is for. My credit card has a limited balance & I only want one credit card. I'm not about to pay fees to take cash out of my credit card. I use my debit card for everything because.....that's where my money is. One time I had my bag stolen while in Malaysia. Do I still use my debit card? Yep. I just do not understand that "tip".
It's really not that difficult to understand. Seriously? Many people, myself included, will take out cash before traveling. That, in short, is where they get cash from if they need it and aren't relying on credit cards. While I used my debit card in Australia and China, I did not use it when traveling in India, Turkey, the UK, Norway, or France.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:41 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,481,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
It's really not that difficult to understand. Seriously? Many people, myself included, will take out cash before traveling. That, in short, is where they get cash from if they need it and aren't relying on credit cards. While I used my debit card in Australia and China, I did not use it when traveling in India, Turkey, the UK, Norway, or France.
Yeah, take cash out beforehand. And you'll need money while you're there too. I use my debit card. One problem in all my years. It is of course your prerogative to not use a debit card & only use a credit card, I use both AND bring cash. I guess it's not really something to argue about on a forum.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:50 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,800,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
However you need to balance carrying a large amount of irreplaceable cash with using a debit card at an ATM when traveling. I'll take my chances with the latter. Just got back from the UK and France, went through about 1500 pounds and 150 Euro as we paid cash for everything not prepaid, including our hotel room the final night. Not an amount I'd want to be carrying around. We simply went to a Barclays branch during banking hours a few times and took 350 pounds or so. We used the credit card to pay for a bottle of wine to drink on the Eurostar at Duty Free in Paris, as I was out of Euros. That was it.

I don't use the debit card for anything other than ATM's at home, and I'm certainly not going to do so while traveling. I will use a credit card while traveling for hotels, rental cars, and expensive purchases where I want some additional protections.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:16 AM

556 posts, read 941,141 times
I use mostly cash when traveling abroad, and use my debit card to withdraw cash every few days as needed. I don't use my debit card for any point-of-service transactions. I have a credit card that is specifically tailored for international travel, including having a chip for chip-and-PIN/signature transactions, and I use that when needed (especially helpful for kiosk transactions). Sure, there are risks associated with using a debit card, but there are also risks associated with carrying around enough cash for a week or two in Europe. IMO, the debit card risks are pretty minimal when debit card use is limited to ATM withdrawals. Plus, the conversion fees for ATM withdrawals are usually cheaper than exchanging cash in a transaction that requires assistance from another person.

So yes, I use my debit card while overseas. If I happened to lose my card immediately before a trip, I guess I would just have to withdraw cash at home before leaving, and exchange as needed. I can always get an ATM cash advance with a credit card, but the fees are pretty steep. I don't think it would ruin a trip to go without a debit card, but it would definitely change my behavior as I would be constantly worried about running out of cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel