Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 08:37 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,810 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, my worst nightmare. I'm leaving the country for a vacation Monday and Friday afternoon I wind up leaving my ATM card in one of those machines that suck up your card as opposed to you just swiping it.

Unfortunately I didn't even discover it until about 5PM when I called to get my card okayed for international use. My bank typically has a 10-14 day replacement period to mail a card out to you but in emergencies can get it done in 3 business days. Needless to say that won't cut it for me as I'm leaving the next business day so I started searching for banks who issue debit cards on the spot.

Surprisingly there's lots of small banks and credit unions offering this service, however what are the chances there's one in my or your area right? I did find though two major national banks in almost every city where you can have this done. One is chase bank and the other is wells fargo.

I walked into chase bank saturday morning, signed up for a new checking account and walked out with a debit Card on the spot. Can't beat that. I'm not a huge fan of using my credit card outside the country unless for larger purchases like a big dinner or buying a big ticket item prefer to take cash out of atms and use that way so this worked out wlel for me.

Two Banks Offering Debit Cards On The Spot
1.Chase Bank
2. Wells Fargo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 09:13 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
We learned that our credit union (Eglin FCU) does same day everything when we learned that a employer's direct deposit file had been hacked and coworkers had had several thousand dollars stolen from their bank accounts. I do 95% of my banking online, but am very glad that I can go two blocks down the way and have all my bank account and mortgage account numbers changed and new debit cards issued on the spot in about 20 minutes.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:18 AM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
I don't know about how to replace a card on the weekend, but for future travel, it is a good idea to have two debit cards from two different banks. There is always the possibility of a machine devouring your card while you are away from home.

Most ATM's will also take credit cards, so you have the option of traveling on your credit card. I feel that the credit card is more secure, it can be used at more places, and if you've picked the credit card company carefully, some of them will give you the commercial exchange rate instead of the tourist exchange rate and that can be a pretty substantial savings.

A few countries will refund your VAT and room taxes as you leave the country if you have receipts and fill out the proper paperwork. Credit card receipts work well for that purpose.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:26 PM

2,119 posts, read 1,789,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post

Two Banks Offering Debit Cards On The Spot
1.Chase Bank
2. Wells Fargo
I'll add Bank of America and Citibank to the list

Old 03-15-2015, 12:31 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
My savings account is tied to my checking on one card, and I also have a separate card I can use to access those savings funds. I can instantly transfer money online between accounts and use the second card. Hail Mary is to transfer money online to my credit union account and withdraw using that card. it takes a few days for the funds to move, but I always have enough funds in local currency for the first few days before I leave anyhow.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:31 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,990,921 times
Well, you shouldn't be using a DEBIT card out of your local area....so get a replacement while you're gone, and use cash or a credit card!

Old 03-15-2015, 03:39 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,553,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Well, you shouldn't be using a DEBIT card out of your local area....so get a replacement while you're gone, and use cash or a credit card!
Why not?

Old 03-15-2015, 03:49 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
You shouldn't use debit cards, only CC's. There is NO protections with a debit card. If someone drains your account that's it. You can fight it but in the meantime your money is gone gone gone. If someone makes fraudulent charges on a CC you dispute it and aren't out anything in the meantime. It's personal finance 101.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't know about how to replace a card on the weekend, but for future travel, it is a good idea to have two debit cards from two different banks. There is always the possibility of a machine devouring your card while you are away from home.

Most ATM's will also take credit cards, so you have the option of traveling on your credit card. I feel that the credit card is more secure, it can be used at more places, and if you've picked the credit card company carefully, some of them will give you the commercial exchange rate instead of the tourist exchange rate and that can be a pretty substantial savings.

A few countries will refund your VAT and room taxes as you leave the country if you have receipts and fill out the proper paperwork. Credit card receipts work well for that purpose.
Credit cards charge cash advance fees NOT ONLY at ATM machines but also if you were to go to a currency exchange and buy foreign cash and the fees are pretty steep so I'd recommend not using a CC to get cash from an ATM unless its a last resort.

One interesting workaround some people sell leftover travel money on ebay. You can buy Euros, Pounds, etc on ebay and Pay with Paypal and skirt the cash advance fees though its generally in smaller amounts

Old 03-15-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
I don't use my debit card at point of sale at home or away but the idea you shoudln't use your debit card out of your area at ATM machine is crazy. Of course you should its much cheaper than going to a currency exchange and ATM cards are pretty safe at ATM machines as long as you know what a skimmer looks like and how not to get caught by one but even that is kind of an overblown problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel