Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 03:03 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
See, that would drive me absolutely nuts! I love water, don't get me wrong, as long as I can admire it from the beach and perhaps dip into it from the shallow end. Beyond that, no way!

I had a co-worker once who loves sailing and her husband's the same. They took a year off to sail the Caribbean on their boat and I enjoyed the story she told about their adventure. It was truly an adventure and I admired the hell out of them (and people like you) to have the guts to sail alone for that long period of time. I would have had a nervous breakdown by first day!
Luckily, I was that far offshore for no more than half a day! Left at 8 AM and came back at 5 PM. The 30 mile ride out took just a bit over 1 hour and was easy with following seas and the wind at my back, but the ride back was another story with a torterous 3 hour slog slicing her bow into 3-4 ft head seas with the wind in my face!

It pushed me to my limit of sanity, getting wet and pounded under the intense sun and what not, but it was soooo worth it to get to the most amazing sandbar Ive ever seen.

8 min music video of the whole ordeal!

http://vimeo.com/106638814
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 04:33 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Just do it alone, what's the big deal? You might discover that you actually like it. You can look at a fountain or a painting for as long as you want without care about anyone fidgeting impatiently next to you, you can try any food you want, and only worry about pleasing nobody but you.
Yes, this. I've traveled alone and had a great time - you can choose exactly what you want to do every day, where to eat, where to go. Otherwise, you're just part of a "tour group".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel