Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 09:46 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times

Advertisements

The worst experience I ever had was on a flight home from San Juan, Puerto Rico. Our Lockheed L-1011 aircraft experienced engine failure on the engine located on the right wing. The plane was forced to make an emergency landing at Miami instead of completing the flight to Atlanta as planned. It was a nerve racking experience for a couple of hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 08:00 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
My flight on Transair in 1988 from Turks and Caicos to JFK was first delayed. Then it had to make an unscheduled stop in Miami because of lack of fuel. When we landed in Miami for a two hour hold, they wouldn't let us use the bathrooms. Worse, they wouldn't let us cross customs during the wasted time so that when we finally did get to JFK we would be able to head straight for luggage and cabs.

A close second was when Eastern was falling apart in February 1989. They cancelled our LGA to West Palm flight. Other airlines wouldn't honor the tickets. Finally Continental, and Eastern affiliate took us to Miami. We were delayed in flight for two hours or more and then we had a three-hour traffic choked trip to West Palm.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:55 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
I'd be surprised to hear of this happening in recent time. In my experience, they won't even let you board the plane without checking your passport at least a couple of times. I've heard of people not being able to travel because they didn't check to see if they needed a visa for entry into their destination.
Agreed. That said I know some guys in a band who got turned back at the border in London. They didn't think they needed visas because they weren't going to get paid to play the promotional gig in London they had booked into. The gear they were carrying raised some eyebrows and they were questioned. Turns out that even if it's not a paid gig, if you plan on performing in England you'd better have a visa. The sad thing is that the visa they would have needed would have been cheap (about $100 per person) and readily granted had they applied for it. Can't do that at the airport on arrival though, so they were sent back. This happened about three years ago.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:02 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,822,657 times
Had a HORRIBLE turbulent flight from Hawaii to Dallas.....all the way over the Pacific that plane was banging and heaving...I was almost too...finally was landing and as soon as we touched down...some cabinet door opened in the galley and all the contents came out making a huge racket like breaking glass and things strewn about.....was never so happy to get the hell out of somewhere..

Also the last flight we took someone was polishing their nails and the flight attendant made an announcement to put away the polish....IT'S FLAMMABLE.....

Old 03-27-2015, 01:58 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
Had a HORRIBLE turbulent flight from Hawaii to Dallas.....all the way over the Pacific that plane was banging and heaving...I was almost too...finally was landing and as soon as we touched down...some cabinet door opened in the galley and all the contents came out making a huge racket like breaking glass and things strewn about.....was never so happy to get the hell out of somewhere..

Also the last flight we took someone was polishing their nails and the flight attendant made an announcement to put away the polish....IT'S FLAMMABLE.....

I had that happen on a flight about 20 years ago, but it's been a long time since I have heard anyone else talk about someone polishing nails on a flight

Old 03-28-2015, 06:20 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
I had a flight from Barcelona to Madrid to Miami. Unfortunately my checked luggage went from Barcelona to Madrid to NEW YORK to Miami.

It arrived at my home a day or so later -- missing several articles of clothing and a couple of cheap souvenirs. Somebody in New York must have really needed a Royal Caribbean plastic mug.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:57 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
What's your worst experience? e.g. missing flight or flight delays causing grave inconvenience or disaster, substantial luggage loss, etc., etc...
In general the unprofessional and unhelpful attitude of United Airlines. I've had a delay on one occasion and no gate assignment on a ticket on another and the employees outright refused to assist. I had to get really nasty both times.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:49 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,327,233 times
On our way back from NYC, our luggage got put on the wrong plane. We got stuck in Dallas at a hotel with the clothes we had on our back.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:18 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
1995 sat on the runway at O'Hare for hours waiting to takeoff for Sacramento. If you want to know how to keep smoking passengers calm in a non-smoking environment, this is not the way to do it! I've never flown again but I did kick the smoking habit.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:20 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
In general the unprofessional and unhelpful attitude of United Airlines. I've had a delay on one occasion and no gate assignment on a ticket on another and the employees outright refused to assist. I had to get really nasty both times.
Check this song out by a Canadian group Sons of Maxwell:

United Breaks Guitars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel