Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 08:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
Hotel laundry services are usually outsourced, not done on the premises. Regardless of that, you don't usually get clothes back until the next day.

Equally, washing by hand means clothes probably won't dry in time for the following day's flight. They certainly won't be ironed either unless he's lugging an iron around with him as well.

I was probably out of order though re: my remark about body odour. My apologies for that.
Many hotels have self-serve washers and dryers on premise for guests to use. Even some high end places like Ritz Carlton and InterContinental have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 08:13 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
Hotel laundry services are usually outsourced, not done on the premises. Regardless of that, you don't usually get clothes back until the next day.
No, I'm referring to washing machines in the hotel that guests can use.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:56 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
but I don't understand why people feel the need to bring so much crap with them when they travel.
I don't either. Unless one travels with kids, there is really no need to bring so much *crap*. The length of the trip becomes irrelevant when it is beyond one week - you would need to do some laundry anyway.

I normally travel for 8-15 days, and always only bring a carry-on, which has always been enough. When you travel, you don't need to change your outfit and shoes every single day. People bring their large checked in luggage because they bring so many different clothes, pants and shoes, along with a big bag of cosmetics (I know someone who always brings a bottle of Listerine with him as if he can't live with it). Some bring their laptops. Honestly, who the hell cares about what you wear or if your makeup is perfect on a trip? And why do you need a computer?

This is what I normally bring for a 10 days trip (assuming mild weather), beside the clothes I wear on the plane:

one jacket/hoodie (for short trips, not even this)
3 or 4 pieces of under wear and socks (I wash them during the trip, takes 5 minutes max)
booth floss, brush, paste (travel size), nail clippers (somehow important to me!), ear plugs
cellphone/Ipad, Travel Plug Adapter (very important)
Possibly one pair of spare shoes and hat (if the activities require)
a shaver, a small bottle of sunscreen (for hot places) and moisturizer
a couple of pens

All these are small items and can comfortably fit into a carry bag. What else do you need for a trip?

Old 04-09-2015, 10:15 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Honestly, who the hell cares about what you wear or if your makeup is perfect on a trip? And why do you need a computer?
I care. I like to look my best whether I'm at home or on vacation. I can pack light and still look good. If I'm traveling for work, it's especially important. If I'm representing my company, I need to look nice. And some folks bring their computer because either they need it for work or they don't have an iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
This is what I normally bring for a 10 days trip (assuming mild weather), beside the clothes I wear on the plane:
one jacket/hoodie (for short trips, not even this)
3 or 4 pieces of under wear and socks (I wash them during the trip, takes 5 minutes max)
booth floss, brush, paste (travel size), nail clippers (somehow important to me!), ear plugs
cellphone/Ipad, Travel Plug Adapter (very important)
Possibly one pair of spare shoes and hat (if the activities require)
a shaver, a small bottle of sunscreen (for hot places) and moisturizer
a couple of pens

All these are small items and can comfortably fit into a carry bag. What else do you need for a trip?
You don't bring any clothes other than what you wear on the plane?

For me, additional toiletries would include travel sizes of saline, hairspray, facial cleanser, shampoo/conditioner (the stuff provided by the hotel often makes my hair very limp)

Old 04-09-2015, 10:49 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
I had the same thing happen on Etihad. I don't understand the reasoning behind this. It can't be because it would add to the airplane's overall weight because I could check the bag with no fee. So what is the purpose of limiting the amount I deal with in the cabin?
Overhead space in the cabin is not limitless.

By the way, for those tempting to sneak there carryon bags into first class cabin space as they board - you do that and you may never see your bags again.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:34 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,793,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Overhead space in the cabin is not limitless.

By the way, for those tempting to sneak there carryon bags into first class cabin space as they board - you do that and you may never see your bags again.
The issue wasn't the size of the bag but the weight. I was allowed to shift the weight around and had no problems boarding.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:45 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Quote:
I had the same thing happen on Etihad. I don't understand the reasoning behind this. It can't be because it would add to the airplane's overall weight because I could check the bag with no fee. So what is the purpose of limiting the amount I deal with in the cabin?

They want to limit weight of items put into overhead bins because the airline might have spec'ed out the plane with less heavy duty bins as an option. Also, on higher service level airlines, they want to reduce the risk of injury to flight attendants who put items into the bags for customers. While lifting one 30 pound roller is no big deal, even for some of the very tiny women you see working some flights, lifting many of them in a row and then twisting them around to fit in the bin can lead to repetitive stress injuries.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:51 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
The issue wasn't the size of the bag but the weight. I was allowed to shift the weight around and had no problems boarding.

Excess weight brings in all sort of concerns - handling safety*, weight balance, overhead bin structural limitations...but yeah 15lbs limitations are a bit crazy.

* - I've been "beaned" a few times when some knucklehead opens a bin door when the plane lands, not realizing that carryons shift and when you open the door quickly, things fall out.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:24 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,793,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Excess weight brings in all sort of concerns - handling safety*, weight balance, overhead bin structural limitations...but yeah 15lbs limitations are a bit crazy.

* - I've been "beaned" a few times when some knucklehead opens a bin door when the plane lands, not realizing that carryons shift and when you open the door quickly, things fall out.
I understand that excessive weight can be an issue, part of my irritation was the it was only enforced on the the flight to Abu Dhabi and not the return. At least with the 50 lbs checked bag limit, the weight is nearly always checked even though the agent may decide to let you pass if you're a little over.

Like you said 15 lbs is pushing it, especially for the #teamcarryon people. I find it hard to believe that they can really come in under 15 lbs considering the bag alone can nearly half of that weight. It's just a sign that airlines are eventually moving towards charging you for bringing anything more than a personal item. At this point I'm not sure there is anything that can be done considering there wasn't huge pushback when bag and other amenity fees started.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:53 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,986,475 times
I've managed trips as long as 3 weeks using carryon only. I have had to check bags for some trips, though (generally ones requiring things the TSA prohibits in carryon luggage, like knives and trekking poles).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel