Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 12:54 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Killarney is wonderful and I hope that you thoroughly explore the beautiful County Kerry, including the neighboring Dingle Peninsula if possible. Killarney National Park is gorgeous and photogenic, as is Dingle. Have a great time!

This is my second time visiting Killarney, the last time I missed out on the Dingle day trip, but I'll be doing it on this trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 01:39 PM

986 posts, read 1,016,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
This is my second time visiting Killarney, the last time I missed out on the Dingle day trip, but I'll be doing it on this trip.
Awesome. I generally don't do organized tours but there is a man named Denis Ryan who runs "Dingle Tours" and it's fantastic. He takes you on a private 3-4 hour driving tour of the peninsula including its many historical/architectural gems, and he has a wealth of knowledge. Also shows you the best places for photographing its natural beauty. Totally recommend checking him out.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:49 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,122 times
Quote:
A vacation plan, two years in the making, will finally come on May 21st as I fly to Ireland (Killarney in Co. Kerry) for 4 days, then hop over to London for 4 days. I'm going to do lots of hiking and a day tour in Ireland, and I'll be seeing a play in London and just taking in all the sights. The preparation for this trip has made it the most expensive trip I've ever taken (purchased a high end carry-on bag, and an iPad in March). I've been experiencing some drama at work and having this vacation to look forward to has kept me sane.

How long did you plan your perfect vacation and where did you go?
What you are describing sounds JUST like my planning and preperation for my upcoming vacation to the Bahamas in 11 months!

This will be my first time (hopefully) conquering the Bahamian equivilant of an 8000 meter peak as I plan on venturing out (solo) in what will first be a 61 mile (6 hour) drive on a rough and rocky road, followed by a 14 mile walk along a niceeee beach while carrying 60 pounds (of mostly water) all the way to the NE point of Great Inagua.

If this DIY excursion is the "Everest of the Bahamas" then what I want to tackle next most certainly will be the "K2 of the Bahamas".

It is something that I will have to have nearly perfect weather for though.....

That would be a 90 mile, DIY boat trip, each way, on an 18' skiff, over mostly open ocean to Hogsty Reef and back.

While most atols are in the Pacific, this is one of the few in the Atlantic, and is one of the most remote places in the Bahamas.

For future trips, there are still 3 more Bahamaian counterparts to the worlds 14, 8000 meter peaks that I have in my crosshairs, which are East Plana Cay, Little Inagua and Samana Cay.

I would consider the latter of these 3 to be the "Cho Oyu of the Bahamas" which is a common stepping stone for Everest, and is regarded as being the "easiest" 8000 meter peak to climb (if anything is ever really "easy" at 8000 meters)!!

Old 05-12-2015, 02:50 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,069,126 times
In September I will be heading to Italy and tel Aviv and I cannot wait and we have been planning on this trip for three years as well and every year something has come up and we were not able to go ...this year we are going come he** or high water and I have let everyone know that sorry but not going to be available then . Off we are going .

Old 05-12-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Awesome. I generally don't do organized tours but there is a man named Denis Ryan who runs "Dingle Tours" and it's fantastic. He takes you on a private 3-4 hour driving tour of the peninsula including its many historical/architectural gems, and he has a wealth of knowledge. Also shows you the best places for photographing its natural beauty. Totally recommend checking him out.
I already booked the Dingle tour through Deros Tours - I used them the last time for the Ring of Kerry tour.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:28 AM

986 posts, read 1,016,081 times
OK have a blast - heard good things about Deros. Dingle is amazing.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:31 AM

Yeah!!! The day has arrived, I'm off shortly to Killarney and then London! Whoo hooo! see y'all later!

Old 05-22-2015, 08:01 AM

622 posts, read 526,657 times
Quote:
Yeah!!! The day has arrived, I'm off shortly to Killarney and then London! Whoo hooo! see y'all later!
Hope you have a good trip!

And don't drink too much Guinness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel