U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-14-2015, 07:57 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,713,149 times
Reputation: 13024

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
For one thing, I never gave any advice. I presented options. Which might be useful to real travelers, as opposed to wine-and-dine jet-setters seated at the front of the aircraft and a personal travel agent handling arrangements.

Second, if you have criminal record, it is much more likely to be discovered by the consulate in your home country, than by the consulate in Ouagadougou or Tegucigalpa, who says "come back this afternoon to pick up your visa."

Third, I did not compose my post primarily for forum users who have criminal records, who are a very tiny number of world travelers and present with a highly specialized set of travel complications beyond the scope of this forum. If you are among them, let yourself be guided accordingly, but pay the rest of us the compliment of assuming we are not.
Not everyone who sits in the front of the plane uses a travel agent. I don't.

What is a "real traveler?" Are you insinuating that anyone who flies first or business and doesn't sleep in a tent or hostel isn't a "real traveler?"

I would disagree. It sounds to me like you are just bitter because you can't afford to travel with some creature comforts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2015, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,455,078 times
Reputation: 36100
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Not everyone who sits in the front of the plane uses a travel agent. I don't.

What is a "real traveler?" Are you insinuating that anyone who flies first or business and doesn't sleep in a tent or hostel isn't a "real traveler?"

I would disagree. It sounds to me like you are just bitter because you can't afford to travel with some creature comforts.
A "real traveler" is the opposite of a real tourist. I don't expect tourists to know the difference.

Tourist: "Our minibus broke down in the jungle, and we had to sleep in local people's hammocks. It was terrible."

Traveler: "Our minibus broke down in the jungle, and we got to sleep in local people's hammocks. It was wonderful."

Of the points I have made, if this is your only remaining rejoinder, I rest my case.

It sounds to me like you insist on travel with "creature comforts", and love to flaunt it with condescending posts about people who don't. I'm not at all bitter, because I can afford to travel with any creature comforts I want, but I choose not to because the treasures of travel are not sold to the highest bidder.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-14-2015 at 09:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2015, 10:05 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,713,149 times
Reputation: 13024
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A "real traveler" is the opposite of a real tourist. I don't expect tourists to know the difference.

Tourist: "Our minibus broke down in the jungle, and we had to sleep in local people's hammocks. It was terrible."

Traveler: "Our minibus broke down in the jungle, and we got to sleep in local people's hammocks. It was wonderful."

Of the points I have made, if this is your only remaining rejoinder, I rest my case.

It sounds to me like you insist on travel with "creature comforts", and love to flaunt it with condescending posts about people who don't. I'm not at all bitter, because I can afford to travel with any creature comforts I want, but I choose not to because the treasures of travel are not sold to the highest bidder.
Oh please. On my last trip I spent two weeks in a flat, shopping in local markets, cooking many of my meals, and exploring areas outside of where the tourists flock.

I think that we might have had some difficulty finding a hammock to sleep in in London.

I would rather fly in business or first as I don't experience jet lag that way. I'd rather not spend my first few days in a fog.

Or are you insinuating that only people who visit jungles are travelers? If so, have fun thinking that way. most would absolutely disagree. Perhaps you should rethink your comment about condescension, as you seem to have plenty towards those who prefer to travel with some creatures comforts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2015, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,455,078 times
Reputation: 36100
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Oh please. On my last trip I spent two weeks in a flat, shopping in local markets, cooking many of my meals, and exploring areas outside of where the tourists flock.

I think that we might have had some difficulty finding a hammock to sleep in in London.

I would rather fly in business or first as I don't experience jet lag that way. I'd rather not spend my first few days in a fog.

Or are you insinuating that only people who visit jungles are travelers? If so, have fun thinking that way. most would absolutely disagree. Perhaps you should rethink your comment about condescension, as you seem to have plenty towards those who prefer to travel with some creatures comforts.
Oh, I get it. If I cite an example that doesn't apply to your visit to London, then it is broadly invalid for any application, and can be dismissed as immaterial. Is that it? No hammocks in London, therefore you need to get your visa to Sudan before you leave home, and not during the two weeks you spend in a luxury flat in Cairo.

This thread is about visas. Enlighten us from your own knowledge, that's how travel forums work. How did you get your UK visa for your two weeks in a London flat cooking your own truffles from the greengrocer? If you want to use this as reference of your experience and expertise, relate it to the topic. If you rarely (if ever) travel to a place where a visa is required, I will give you a pass for any lack of experience on the question at hand.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-14-2015 at 03:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2015, 09:38 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,713,149 times
Reputation: 13024
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Oh, I get it. If I cite an example that doesn't apply to your visit to London, then it is broadly invalid for any application, and can be dismissed as immaterial. Is that it? No hammocks in London, therefore you need to get your visa to Sudan before you leave home, and not during the two weeks you spend in a luxury flat in Cairo.

This thread is about visas. Enlighten us from your own knowledge, that's how travel forums work. How did you get your UK visa for your two weeks in a London flat cooking your own truffles from the greengrocer? If you want to use this as reference of your experience and expertise, relate it to the topic. If you rarely (if ever) travel to a place where a visa is required, I will give you a pass for any lack of experience on the question at hand.
I have traveled to several places where a visa was required. I have always gotten it in advance--except French Polynesia where it's pretty much automatically given on arrival. I would rather spend a few dollars and a little time to get the important details taken care of in advance then waste precious vacation time waiting in lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top