U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2015, 03:50 PM

34,384 posts, read 41,480,724 times

Advertisements

Wife has a long weekend coming up on May 23,we are going to spend 3 days in Lake Placid,
any one familiar with the town have some recommendations of things to do and places to eat? Staying at the Hampton Inn at the south end of Mirror Lake.
Hiking is out as i'm mobility challenged.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 10:12 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Lake Placid Village is generally flat and there are curb cuts although sometimes you need to "go around the corner" a few feet to get to them. Traffic is pedestrian friendly and patient.

Plenty to keep you occupied for the weekend.

The Olympic Museum is very close--maybe five minutes strolling pace.

Shopping and browsing on Main Street of course.

A boat ride on Lake Placid, departs from Lake Placid Marina which is at the other end of Mirror Lake and down the street--easy to get to, your hotel can give you directions or just Google it.

Drive to the top of Whiteface and enjoy the views.

Visit the John Brown Farm historic site.

Check the schedule for the Herb Brooks arena and maybe catch a hockey game or concert.

As far as where to eat, for casual we like the Lake Placid Brewery (tours available on certain days, call to inquire) as well as the Cottage and the Great Adirondack Steak and Seafood House.

For dinner we like The View and Artisans. Great Adirondack is another good choice. Unfortunately two other favorites The Verandah and the Boathouse have closed.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with. We've been vacationing there annually for about 20 years.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:16 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
The Raptor Center (I can't recall the exact name) is another option. I recently got a mailer from Lake Placid Lodge that talked about them visiting the Lodge with birds of prey for a couple of hours every Saturday late afternoon. Lake Placid Lodge is beautiful and in addition to Artisan's, Maggies Pub has a more casual atmosphere and menu and I can't imagine the Ledge would have a problem with you taking part in the raptor visit if you were planning on dining with them before or after. If that is something that interests you, I would take a look at Google maps and even print it out in advance. The main lodge is not well signed and it can be confusing to find it.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:10 AM

71,969 posts, read 83,640,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Wife has a long weekend coming up on May 23,we are going to spend 3 days in Lake Placid,
any one familiar with the town have some recommendations of things to do and places to eat? Staying at the Hampton Inn at the south end of Mirror Lake.
Hiking is out as i'm mobility challenged.

Thanks
i can't necessarily suggest things to do, but we did the long weekend thing there many years ago to see the color change. It was one of the most beautiful and fun places we have visited. It isn't touristy like so may places, lots of fun shops, the Olympic museum is wonderful and the people very friendly.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:00 PM

34,384 posts, read 41,480,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Drive to the top of Whiteface and enjoy the views.
Went to drive it today and was told by a flag lady at the base of the highway that its only open on weekends.
Not sure if this is a temporary thing but if some one is planning on taking the drive on a weekday you might want to call ahead.

Can now highly recommend the Lake Placid Brewery as a place to eat and their beer aint bad either.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-19-2015 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: Made a correction at poster's request.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or