U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 01:36 PM

8,239 posts, read 11,104,689 times

Advertisements

Go see a travel agent. You're not ready to plan your own trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 03:25 PM

15,059 posts, read 18,990,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Go see a travel agent. You're not ready to plan your own trip.
Neither are most travel agents! Especially to places like Africa!

Old 05-11-2015, 08:07 AM

12,263 posts, read 18,393,933 times
OK, now that the OP has learned the error of his ways...

If you want a safari in a place like Tanzania or Kenya then yeah you probably need a commercial safari outfit and perhaps a travel agent. It's very expensive. But South Africa is different. The travel infrastructure is there to do it on your own. That is, fly in, get a rental car, and just visit some of the beautiful parks they have like Kroger, stay at local lodges and it's relatively inexpensive. Lodges range from Bed and Breakfast type places to western style highway motels. It's not much different then visiting a place like Yellowstone NP in the US.
Perhaps not that simple. You still are in a foreign country, safety is a concern in the big city (i.e. Josburg, avoid it. Also avoid the former townships). South Africa does have a high crime rate, just something to be aware of but don't be pre-occupied with the subject. Highways are excellent but you will be traveling 70mph and then suddently see a local with a skinny cow loitering in the highway.
So, for a place like Kroger National Park - you can simply drive into it and motor all around and watch animals all day. You can't get out of the car for what should be obvious reasons (i.e. you will become lunch for the local predators). You are guaranteed to see Elephant (Kroger actually has a problem with too many elephants), Zebra, Buffalo, various hoof animals such as wildabeast, giraffe, hippo, rhino, lion, hyena, and if you are lucky you will see cheetah and leapord. You can stay overnight in lodges on park property (fenced in for your safety) or in local villages that surround the park. You can take group tours with the ranges, including walking tours during the day (rangers are armed) and even night tours. When I was there they did also have independent safari-like tours of Kroger where you could camp in the park overnight.
For a trip like this, you (or I at least) don't need much planning. Just jump on a flight and do it. However you will want to do more research - get a good guide book on South Africa (i.e. Lonely Planet), chart out what you want to see, make some reservations. Decide on the proper season. I think we were there in the fall, weather was warm during the day and cool at night. It was dry and extremely dusty. The eastern parks are mostly dry savannahs. South Africa does have a winter, which is starting now, with snow at higher elevations.
As far as finding a partner - can't help you there. You might be able to pick up a partner, college student or something in S.A. itself using the various social networks available.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:41 PM

1,579 posts, read 1,545,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I'm single, and I want to travel, but I don't like traveling alone, but I'm not going to compromise ... where to go?

I would love to go on a two week safari in South Africa. Can anyone help me make this happen before the end of June? That is, is there anyone here who is interested in this same travel?

If there's anyone here who is normal and who has always been curious about wild animals on a hot summer's day? ... normal, healthy, active Africa Safari ... for fun and the usual where everyone keeps their professional distance.

contact a travel agent. She/he will answer all your questions and arrange this safari that appears to be made on such short notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or