U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 09:44 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,094,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Very true. It annoys me to no end when people travel to other countries and expect the citizens to speak English. For crying out loud, it's not all that difficult to learn a few key phrases in a handful of languages. And as you said, yelling doesn't make it easier to understand.
In addition, if you have a smart phone, there are free apps that don't require you to be connected to the internet to be able to use. Google translate is pretty good and it also has a feature where you can point your camera at text and it will translate it in real time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 12:15 PM

15,069 posts, read 18,997,066 times
First night of a 7 night cruise, my boyfriend gets down on one knee in the lounge and proposes - in front of about 40 other passengers. I was honestly floored. It was very awkward when I said, "Umm, can we discuss this privately, please?"

Descriptions of this moment passed through hundreds of passengers quicker than Norovirus.

He spent the next 7 days alternately crying, angry and begging me to reconsider. I spent the next 7 days trying to avoid going back to our cabin and hide from the other passengers (who, depending on what version of the story they heard, either congratulated me or scolded me for embarrassing the poor guy.)

Old 05-18-2015, 12:23 PM

3,330 posts, read 2,124,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
For me it was when I was in college and decided to go home for the Thanksgiving break. the plan was to take the train from Bozeman, MT to Spokane, WA on Tuesday evening and then catch an early Wednesday morning commuter flight to Pasco, WA. Due to bad weather the train was going to be 6 hours late getting into Bozeman. When the train was about an hour away my roommate gave me a ride to the train station. As soon as he left they announced that the train had broke down about 40 miles form Bozeman. The train finally showed up 12 hours late. We lost more time due to weather and did not get into Spokane until Wednesday night. Trying to catch the last commuter flight for the day I ended up being on hold for 30 minutes without ever talking to a live person. I gave up and went to the bus station where there would be a 2 am bus to Pasco on Thursday. Only problem was the highway was closed due to freezing rain.

At this point I gave up and decided to go back to Bozeman. The 5 am bus heading East was cancelled due to freezing rain. I called Northwest Airlines to see if they had a seats on their Thursday flight to Bozeman. Lots of seats. Only problem was I was 5 dollars short of being able to pay cash and they would not take a check not written on a Washington state bank. So I had to have my parents go to the airport in Pasco and pay for a ticket and have it transferred to me in Spokane. Finally at 1pm on Thursday I arrived back into Bozeman. By the time I got back to the dorm I had been traveling for 45 hours and got nowhere.
That was brutal reading!!!!

Old 05-18-2015, 12:45 PM

1,579 posts, read 1,545,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
First night of a 7 night cruise, my boyfriend gets down on one knee in the lounge and proposes - in front of about 40 other passengers. I was honestly floored. It was very awkward when I said, "Umm, can we discuss this privately, please?"

Descriptions of this moment passed through hundreds of passengers quicker than Norovirus.

He spent the next 7 days alternately crying, angry and begging me to reconsider. I spent the next 7 days trying to avoid going back to our cabin and hide from the other passengers (who, depending on what version of the story they heard, either congratulated me or scolded me for embarrassing the poor guy.)
Wow, I always wanted to know alternative scenarios when silly guys propose in such a public setting. And then he cried like a girl when you didn't immediately accept?

Um, did you marry this guy?

Old 05-18-2015, 01:53 PM

15,069 posts, read 18,997,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Wow, I always wanted to know alternative scenarios when silly guys propose in such a public setting. And then he cried like a girl when you didn't immediately accept?

Um, did you marry this guy?
Um, NO!

Old 05-18-2015, 02:06 PM

2,125 posts, read 2,909,737 times
Quote:
Um, NO!
You guys cracked me up.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:29 PM

2,125 posts, read 2,909,737 times
Probably not as bad as some of the stories here, but worst for us.

We were on the tarmac of New Delhi airport on Air India, waiting to take off to fly home. There was a heavy fog that night and we were waiting for the fog to lift in order to take off. Almost 2 hours of waiting and 2 passenger fights later (1 between an impatient old man and a scary looking air hostess whom my husband coined 'fighter ****', the other between 2 passengers behind me who were fighting over spilled drinks), the pilot told us that we're not flying that night and everyone must get off the plane.

Chaos ensued as everyone was pushing and bumping each other with their heavy carry on bags in order to get ahead in line for ground accommodation arrangement. Once our turn finally came to speak with the airline rep, we were told to surrender our passport if we wanted to take advantage of the accommodation arrangement. There's no way in hell we would surrender our passport to anyone while overseas, so we opted to sleep at the airport. We trudged to the only business lounge in that airport but it was full. We spent the night at the airport, and swore never again fly Air India or fly in or out of Delhi airport in December.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:48 PM

1,579 posts, read 1,545,945 times
Quote:
Um, NO!
Whew!

Old 05-18-2015, 09:51 PM

17,382 posts, read 21,223,392 times
Back in July, 2004, I completely miscalculated! I had heard it said, the longer you live in the desert the more sensitive your body becomes to humidity. So I took this body, accustomed to low humidity levels as low as 3% in June here in Las Vegas, and flew over to Bangkok!

OMG!!! I realized it was a major mistake before I left the terminal! But I bought a cheap Orbitz scattered rate, non-refundable, non-alterable, and I was stuck there in Hell for 11 days!

That insufferable heat and humidity, not even a cool off at night, I'd walk a few blocks and I thought I was going to go crashing to the sidewalk!

All those dreams of going over to the Burmese border, to Angkor Wat in Cambodia, a trip down the Mekong River, up to Chang Mai, and I ended up a prisoner at my hotel!

Worse, I found an English bookstore, bought up lots of books to read during my imprisonment, walked around too long with a heavy sack of books, developed a painful shoulder problem, as a result of it, and I was in so much pain, it was even too painful to get a massage to try and relieve the pain!

The very worst trip I've ever taken! But, at least, I got a glimpse of hell!

Old 05-18-2015, 10:35 PM

14,258 posts, read 23,979,216 times
I am not ready to call the past two weeks a "vacation from hell" but it DID have its moments.

First, my MIL was hospitalized about one day into the trip. Do we continue on or fly back home? It is not a great way to start a vacation but she has recovered.

Then, the weather in the Sierras was like usual, unpredictable. We made it over Tioga Pass on a clear and beautiful day ... but our second day was cancelled due to a snow storm. Visiting Yosemite was great and another item off the bucket list.

On the way back, we stopped in Bodie State Park on a clear and beautiful day, just to get out several hours before another Sierra storm.

Then, there was a variety of billing issues.

I take some friends out to a nice steakhouse in Reno. I review the bill after leaving the restaurant to find out that we were charged for a bottle of wine we did not drink. I had to go back for a refund.

Then, I was charged for a night AFTER my date of check-out at the Reno hotel. It took two calls to get that all straightened out.

We made it to Las Vegas and had dinner. We left a tip on the receipt at the restaurant as the waitress did a good job. The ditzy cashier did not enter it.

Finally, I turned in my rental car to Hertz this morning to find out that I had been charged $31 for "gas and service". I received the car with a 1/2 tank of gas and returned it with 3/4. I would have caught it normally EXCEPT that their computer was down and they did not send me a receipt until later. I had to traipse back there and get that all resolved.

I am beginning to enjoy travel a lot less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or