U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 03:25 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,545 posts, read 39,924,861 times

Advertisements

Amtrak and Greyhound are pretty good at delivering vacations from hell. (no slight on latest tragedy, I think the 'beheading' in Canada would have been a pretty rough vacation).

As a kid, we were on vacation when our new country farm home burnt to the ground. I think we were tough on our parents for the next 20 hrs driving home (?) to no home.

Another snafu as a kid was 'renting' a travel trailer to go on a California vacation (deserts...) long before AC and large radiators. That was NOT a 'fun' 2 week trip!

Things (including vacations) got a LOT better when I left home at age 15!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 06:58 AM

1,579 posts, read 1,545,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Back in July, 2004, I completely miscalculated! I had heard it said, the longer you live in the desert the more sensitive your body becomes to humidity. So I took this body, accustomed to low humidity levels as low as 3% in June here in Las Vegas, and flew over to Bangkok!

OMG!!! I realized it was a major mistake before I left the terminal! But I bought a cheap Orbitz scattered rate, non-refundable, non-alterable, and I was stuck there in Hell for 11 days!

That insufferable heat and humidity, not even a cool off at night, I'd walk a few blocks and I thought I was going to go crashing to the sidewalk!

All those dreams of going over to the Burmese border, to Angkor Wat in Cambodia, a trip down the Mekong River, up to Chang Mai, and I ended up a prisoner at my hotel!

Worse, I found an English bookstore, bought up lots of books to read during my imprisonment, walked around too long with a heavy sack of books, developed a painful shoulder problem, as a result of it, and I was in so much pain, it was even too painful to get a massage to try and relieve the pain!

The very worst trip I've ever taken! But, at least, I got a glimpse of hell!
Wow, do you suffer from some sort of medical condition? Are you, um, an older folk?

Humidity sucks, yes, but, take your vitamins and water with electrolytes and enjoy your vacation!

Old 05-19-2015, 09:30 AM

9,186 posts, read 9,267,265 times
This was my all time worst vacation. Yet, I made the best of it.

Some years ago, I decided I wanted to take my kids and see the Mammoth Caves of Kentucky. I looked for a bargain airfare and found a way to fly my wife and two kids out to Louisville, Kentucky round trip for about $700. About four weeks before the trip, I came down with some health problems. My doctor felt some of these were stress related and the vacation would do me good. He encouraged me to go. Than, about a week before the trip, my wife had an emergency at work. The long and short of it was that she didn't dare leave her job to go on this vacation.

The airfare was non-refundable, so I decided to take the kids and travel without my wife.

Two days into the trip, I developed a sharp pain in my abdomen. From past experience, I recognized the signs of a kidney stone. Somehow, I managed to load my kids into the car and drive us all to the hospital. The ER physician determined that not only was I having a kidney stone, but that I was dehydrated too. I got no pain medication until I had absorbed IV fluids for over an hour. At this point, I was in so much pain, I literally couldn't speak. I than got pain medication and felt a lot better, but not completely so.

I was than given a choice by the ER physician. I could either go home with pain medication or stay overnight in the hospital. If I chose to stay overnight, I was told that social services would be called and my children would be placed in foster care. It took me about five seconds or less to decide I wanted to be discharged.

We completed the trip. I spent most of the time in a hotel room and let the kids watch t.v. I was able to drag myself to the pool and watch them swim most days. I was even able to drive to another hotel in the mountains that I found more restful.

It was a tough lesson to learn. However, I was always more careful in traveling with my children after that. I insisted my spouse accompany me until they got older.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:00 PM

8,240 posts, read 11,107,651 times
I have never had a vacation from hell. The worst day on vacation is better than the best day working.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:52 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,444,578 times
I Couchsurfed with this guy in Brussels on New Years Eve who kept threatening to OD on Xanax. At the time I didn't know that would be nearly impossible, so you can imagine what a fantastic way it was to roll into January the first.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:56 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,444,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This was my all time worst vacation. Yet, I made the best of it.

Some years ago, I decided I wanted to take my kids and see the Mammoth Caves of Kentucky. I looked for a bargain airfare and found a way to fly my wife and two kids out to Louisville, Kentucky round trip for about $700. About four weeks before the trip, I came down with some health problems. My doctor felt some of these were stress related and the vacation would do me good. He encouraged me to go. Than, about a week before the trip, my wife had an emergency at work. The long and short of it was that she didn't dare leave her job to go on this vacation.

The airfare was non-refundable, so I decided to take the kids and travel without my wife.

Two days into the trip, I developed a sharp pain in my abdomen. From past experience, I recognized the signs of a kidney stone. Somehow, I managed to load my kids into the car and drive us all to the hospital. The ER physician determined that not only was I having a kidney stone, but that I was dehydrated too. I got no pain medication until I had absorbed IV fluids for over an hour. At this point, I was in so much pain, I literally couldn't speak. I than got pain medication and felt a lot better, but not completely so.

I was than given a choice by the ER physician. I could either go home with pain medication or stay overnight in the hospital. If I chose to stay overnight, I was told that social services would be called and my children would be placed in foster care. It took me about five seconds or less to decide I wanted to be discharged.

We completed the trip. I spent most of the time in a hotel room and let the kids watch t.v. I was able to drag myself to the pool and watch them swim most days. I was even able to drive to another hotel in the mountains that I found more restful.

It was a tough lesson to learn. However, I was always more careful in traveling with my children after that. I insisted my spouse accompany me until they got older.
Wow, that does sound pretty horrible. Hopefully you can make it up one day.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:05 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,251,423 times
I would not call it a vacation, but it was a very long weekend. I had become friendly with a woman in the building where I worked. She really loved camping and asked me if I would go with her one weekend. I made the mistake of going.

Everything was fine the first night. Then, the next afternoon her keys got locked in the trunk of her car and she blamed me. Everything that I had, except for my handbag, was in her trunk. She started screaming at me to the point that she appeared to be dangerous, so I decided to leave. The problem was that I had no idea where I was at.

I started walking out of the campground and the only clothes that I had on were a bathing suit and a pair of shorts. I walked to the main road where a man gave me a ride; I was not so sure of him, but he took me to the bus station that would get me close to home and asked me if I had enough money to get home, which I did. The bus went to Chester, PA, on a Saturday evening and I was able to get the train home. Unfortunately, the trains were on a weekend schedule and I waited over an hour, in Chester, in my bathing suit, to get home. I should have walked.

Had to call the police to get my things out of her car. She never returned to work and her co-workers told me that if they had known that I had agreed to go with her that they would have let me know that she had mental issues and would have encouraged me not to go with her.

My last camping experience.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:37 PM

14,660 posts, read 10,765,858 times
Went to Mazatlan with some family members.

Right off the bat, I discovered the sink in the bathroom in my hotel room leaked, which is to say the entire plumbing underneath was nonexistent (?!), the trap or whatever, so the water just gushed all over the floor.

The humidity was brutal.

I think it was the first night, we all stayed up too late, having too much fun and drinking, when we were going fishing out on the ocean the next day. Ugh.

So we get up early the next morning. I wasn't fishing, but went along for the ride anyway. It was cooler out on the water, but the sun was beating down. I was hungover, tired, dehydrated, and all they had to drink was beer or orange soda, which was fine but neither one was necessarily going to quench my thirst. The "boxed lunch" that was included was a slice of American cheese on dry white bread, and something else I can't remember.

The noise of the boat's engine was driving me crazy, drilling into my head. After a while, I asked when we were going to "get there." That's when I was informed that we were "trolling" and that meant you never stopped. My heart sank a little at that.

Someone caught a rather large fish and they threw it into a wooden box next to me, so I got to listen to it thrash around for its life the whole rest of the trip.

By the time we got back to shore, I had a nice little case of sun/heat exhaustion. I felt really bad; a little lightheaded/dizzy, nauseous. We stopped at a restaurant and I got some ice water and sat in the "coolness" and finally started feeling better.

I think we finished up the trip with one last night of fun, where a huge argument broke out between some of the family members. I believe it was over the tip, lol.

To top it all off, once home and while unpacking, I discovered my little hand-carved wooden turtle souvenir's leg had broken during the trip home. (I still have him. He's had reconstructive surgery and is doing fine.)

Old 05-22-2015, 10:37 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,226,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
My husband spent the entire week passed out in the hotel drunk. The couple times he came around he berated me for letting the people we were with know he was drunk, but, they figured it out when he fell in the sand. I had to pack for him and have a security person open our safe to get our things since he was to drunk to remember the combination he set when it was time to leave. it was unpleasant to say the least. Our friends never traveled with us again
So where was that? Are you still married Have you gone on similar vacations again...

Old 05-22-2015, 10:47 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,094,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
So where was that? Are you still married Have you gone on similar vacations again...
Question asked:
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
And you're still married to him?
And answered:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
No, he drank himself to death September 3 2014 which is very sad, but, not a shock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or