U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 08:09 PM

3,552 posts, read 6,168,743 times

Advertisements

Went to Casa Mayo Mexico for honeymoon in 2004. Caught some kind of "bug" that triggered an immune response. 11 years later I still deal with daily issues including constant dizziness, nausea, idiopathic anaphylaxis, heart palpitations and the list goes on. Had two extended stays at Mayo clinic and over $90,000 in medical bills.. All by 26. So yeah that one stands out.

The other one was to New Sweden, Maine where my husband used to live... I mean if you've been there you know its a place where inbreeding nightmares of made of
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 07:18 PM

8,568 posts, read 12,663,611 times
About 4-5 years ago, a snowstorm was about to hit the DC area. I knew that schools would be closed, and I (being a SAHM) thought I'd be spontaneous and would hop in the car with my 3 kids (ages 3, 5, and 9) and drive to Florida to see my parents in advance of the snowstorm. My parents were concerned about me driving by myself, so I convinced a friend and her daughter (age 9) to go with me. However, by the time my friend got ready, the snow had begun falling. But we started off anyway. It was rush hour with DC's notorious traffic plus snow falling and slippery conditions, so traffic was slow going. We made it to I-95 but saw a car spun around in the snow and started getting nervous. We called our husbands who convinced us that if we just kept the course, we'd be ahead of the snowstorm shortly, but we got scared and turned around.

We decided to take a secondary route home and figured traffic wouldn't be bad heading back toward the city. Well the snow ending up coming down fast and furiously (MUCH faster than they predicted), so the traffic was VERY SLOW. We made it to about 5 miles from our home where we literally sat in the car for about 2 hours - moving about 1 inch every 10 minutes. My kids went into the restaurant near our car to use the bathroom (and thankfully, we had a lot of snacks in the car). We finally inched our way to the next intersection and turned left, hoping that road was quicker. We got a few hundred feet when our car got stuck on an uphill. Some guy comes over to push the car up the hill and my friend gets out to help him. We finally make it up the hill and continue on our way.

I spy a Hampton Inn and decide that spending the night in a hotel would be the best thing we could do in those circumstances. We pull up, but they tell us they are sold out! However, across the street is a hotel that looks like it's from the 1950's - one that Clark Griswold would stay in. At that point we were desperate - we did not want to get back in that car! They tell us they have a room, and we're all SO EXCITED to get out of the car! We check into the room and decide it's really not that bad, and we all plop into the 2 beds ready for a good night's sleep. Within about 30 minutes of checking in, the hotel's power goes out. Being without lights we could handle, but having no heat was NOT FUN! I look out the window and the Hampton Inn is glowing brightly (they had a generator, apparently). We froze under the covers for the night - power never went back on. In the morning we drove home in about 10 minutes. The "FLASH SNOW" was the big news story on the radio - especially the timing of it occurring right at rush hour. There were thousands of stories of stranded travelers, abandoned cars, and long, long commutes home from work. I kept kicking myself for: A. waiting too long to leave B. not listening to my husband and continuing on south beyond the storm and C. Being the only SAHM being stuck in a rush hour snow storm when we could have been safe and snug at home. In the meantime while I was stuck in the car another friend of mine was telling everyone how smart I was to take off for Florida in advance of the snow storm. If only...

Old 06-05-2015, 02:05 AM

30,684 posts, read 33,445,013 times
I've told this before but here ya go:

Back in the mid 90's Disneyland was set to end it's popular Electric Light Parade. I had gobs of good memories of that parade and the music from my own life and wanted to see it one more time so me, husband and 2 kids (9 and 6) planned a weekend there.

A couple weeks before we left H hurt his back. We didn't know it then but it was the start of 15 years of serous back trouble but at the time he just took some Advil and hoped it would improve. A few day before the trip I started feeling weird and went to the Dr thinking I might need antibiotics to prevent a problem, but he found nothing wrong. The day before we left the kids school sent home a letter telling us there was lice in my daughters classroom. Then we went to Disneyland.

H suffered in pain the entire time. I started running a fever so I kept popping H's Advil so I could get my temp down and spend a few hours at the park before it would creep back up and I had to lay down until the next dose of Advil kicked in. And by day 2 we realized both kids had lice so we went to a drugstore to get special shampoo and treated them in the motel.

I did see the Parade then crashed at the motel and slept for 10 hours. When we got home I went back to the Dr's and was diagnosed with pneumonia. H went though many procedures over the years to deal with his herniated disc. And though the kids came home lice free I DIDN"T so we all went through the treatment again, just to be sure.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:51 PM

275 posts, read 253,162 times
Left a psycho ex girlfriend at the Hard Rock in Vegas once. Long story...

Old 06-08-2015, 09:23 AM

29,546 posts, read 16,472,205 times
Not a vacation from hell, but three days of miserable heat. First, we were in London in August and a lot of their hotels don't have AC, so it was too hot to sleep. Second, at the Turnberry golf resort they have cottages that have no AC and it was so hot in the room we tried to sleep outside. Third, we stayed at a B&B in Cape Cod that had no AC.... miserable.

Being from the South, I find it amusing that people in cooler climates deny their need for AC. I have no issues with heat during the day but must be cool to sleep.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:01 AM

9,415 posts, read 17,378,768 times
It's only been 50 years. Can't. talk. about. it. just. yet.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:09 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
Not all families have that experience, my parents took me around that age almost 40 years ago and the only bad thing that seemed to happen was they forgot where they parked and had to wait until the the park closed and people cleared out to find their car.
These days if you know approximately what time you entered the parking lot they can tell you within two rows of where you car is and exactly which lot. Universal is the same way.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:11 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Not a vacation from hell, but three days of miserable heat. First, we were in London in August and a lot of their hotels don't have AC, so it was too hot to sleep. Second, at the Turnberry golf resort they have cottages that have no AC and it was so hot in the room we tried to sleep outside. Third, we stayed at a B&B in Cape Cod that had no AC.... miserable.

Being from the South, I find it amusing that people in cooler climates deny their need for AC. I have no issues with heat during the day but must be cool to sleep.
People think we're crazy as we like London in March. It's a lot easier to pop open a window and let the cool air in if the heat is too high than to sweat all night and have no way to cool down.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:20 AM

24,961 posts, read 23,873,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
It's only been 50 years. Can't. talk. about. it. just. yet.
That is bad.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:09 AM

3,330 posts, read 2,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
about 4-5 years ago, a snowstorm was about to hit the dc area. I knew that schools would be closed, and i (being a sahm) thought i'd be spontaneous and would hop in the car with my 3 kids (ages 3, 5, and 9) and drive to florida to see my parents in advance of the snowstorm. My parents were concerned about me driving by myself, so i convinced a friend and her daughter (age 9) to go with me. However, by the time my friend got ready, the snow had begun falling. But we started off anyway. It was rush hour with dc's notorious traffic plus snow falling and slippery conditions, so traffic was slow going. We made it to i-95 but saw a car spun around in the snow and started getting nervous. We called our husbands who convinced us that if we just kept the course, we'd be ahead of the snowstorm shortly, but we got scared and turned around.

We decided to take a secondary route home and figured traffic wouldn't be bad heading back toward the city. Well the snow ending up coming down fast and furiously (much faster than they predicted), so the traffic was very slow. We made it to about 5 miles from our home where we literally sat in the car for about 2 hours - moving about 1 inch every 10 minutes. My kids went into the restaurant near our car to use the bathroom (and thankfully, we had a lot of snacks in the car). We finally inched our way to the next intersection and turned left, hoping that road was quicker. We got a few hundred feet when our car got stuck on an uphill. Some guy comes over to push the car up the hill and my friend gets out to help him. We finally make it up the hill and continue on our way.

I spy a hampton inn and decide that spending the night in a hotel would be the best thing we could do in those circumstances. We pull up, but they tell us they are sold out! However, across the street is a hotel that looks like it's from the 1950's - one that clark griswold would stay in. At that point we were desperate - we did not want to get back in that car! They tell us they have a room, and we're all so excited to get out of the car! We check into the room and decide it's really not that bad, and we all plop into the 2 beds ready for a good night's sleep. Within about 30 minutes of checking in, the hotel's power goes out. Being without lights we could handle, but having no heat was not fun! I look out the window and the hampton inn is glowing brightly (they had a generator, apparently). We froze under the covers for the night - power never went back on. In the morning we drove home in about 10 minutes. The "flash snow" was the big news story on the radio - especially the timing of it occurring right at rush hour. There were thousands of stories of stranded travelers, abandoned cars, and long, long commutes home from work. I kept kicking myself for: A. Waiting too long to leave b. Not listening to my husband and continuing on south beyond the storm and c. Being the only sahm being stuck in a rush hour snow storm when we could have been safe and snug at home. In the meantime while i was stuck in the car another friend of mine was telling everyone how smart i was to take off for florida in advance of the snow storm. If only...
omg.....what a story.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or