U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 01:28 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,177,423 times

Advertisements

My list is mostly like this, with Bhutan, New Guinea and Madagascar being at the top (did Borneo last year).

It will take a long time to visit. Cambodia definitely changed my views on the human condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 02:09 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,446,886 times
I think I like to bum around Europe as long as my gracious friends over there don't mind me staying with them, because then it is very affordable and everything is very orderly and nice. But, if you mean straight up continuous travel through a region, then I would choose places like South Asia or Central America, where the COL is cheap and the scenery and climates are warm and inspire a different pace of life and a new experience.

I really liked India and I can't wait to go back in a few months and see Ladakh and some of the Northeast States.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:45 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,306,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I don't consider any place in the Bahamas to be "exotic" regardless of how populated or not it is.
OK...........I'm a bit perplexed....

Why would you not consider the far islands of the Bahamas (Rum Cay, Plana Cays, Samana, etc) exotic, yet French Polynesia is?

I've been to both countries by the way.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:00 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,595,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
OK...........I'm a bit perplexed....

Why would you not consider the far islands of the Bahamas (Rum Cay, Plana Cays, Samana, etc) exotic, yet French Polynesia is?

I've been to both countries by the way.
The Bahamas just aren't what I would call exotic. You can get there in an hour, they speak English, there is just nothing "exotic" about them.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
The Bahamas just aren't what I would call exotic. You can get there in an hour, they speak English, there is just nothing "exotic" about them.
Not to the particular Bahamian islands I'm talking about!

Nassau, Freeport, even Abaco…...sure, but I don't consider those places exotic at all.

Lets use East Plana Cay as an example. I'll make it easy even and say we leave from Florida.

1) MIA-NAS

2) Spend the night in NAS, since flight to next island is at 9 AM only 3 days a week.

3) Take 9 AM flight following day to Crooked Island

4) Drive 1 hour from CRI to Landrail Point to get to boat basin.

5) From there its a 70 mile boat ride (at least 3 hours) to get to East Plana Cay.

And I haven't even mentioned that there is a good chance you might have to add several DAYS to get there if the weather is even just a little bit off, let alone really bad.

Actual pic of E Plana

Old 05-19-2015, 11:51 AM

14,188 posts, read 6,430,715 times
Quote:

Nassau, Freeport, even Abaco…...sure, but I don't consider those places exotic at all.

Lets use East Plana Cay as an example. I'll make it easy even and say we leave from Florida.

1) MIA-NAS

2) Spend the night in NAS, since flight to next island is at 9 AM only 3 days a week.

5) From there its a 70 mile boat ride (at least 3 hours) to get to East Plana Cay.

And I haven't even mentioned that there is a good chance you might have to add several DAYS to get there if the weather is even just a little bit off, let alone really bad.

Actual pic of E Plana
That reminds me of my trip to Little Corn Island, Nicaragua. Flight from MKE to ATL. ATL to MGA. Spent overnight in the Managua airport because flight left at 6 the next morning to Big Corn Island w/a stop at Bluefields on the way. Then, a 40 minute panga ride to Little Corn Island. Same on the way back. Adventure!

Old 05-19-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:

1) MIA-NAS

Actual pic of E Plana
They are still not exotic. The definition of "exotic is: originating in or characteristic of a distant foreign country.

They aren't distant. The furthest island is only ~400 miles off the coast of Florida.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:33 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,095,784 times
Quote:
They are still not exotic. The definition of "exotic is: originating in or characteristic of a distant foreign country.

They aren't distant. The furthest island is only ~400 miles off the coast of Florida.
That's a narrow point of view especially since you listed Cuba as a place on your bucket list of exotic places to visit and that's only 90 miles from Florida.

Exotic is more of a subjective view, especially in terms of travel. It is going to vary by each person and by their experiences. There are some people that would consider Miami or Cayman Islands as exotic and I think they are boring places because of the amount of time I have spent there. I recently went to Dubai and aside for the Arabic writing on the buildings it felt like any major American city. There are places like Chinatowns in several cities and Little Havana where you might a well be in another country with the lack of English being spoken by the people who live and shop there.

I think a better way to think of it is that exotic means a place that is different from what you are used to.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
That's a narrow point of view especially since you listed Cuba as a place on your bucket list of exotic places to visit and that's only 90 miles from Florida.

Exotic is more of a subjective view, especially in terms of travel. It is going to vary by each person and by their experiences. There are some people that would consider Miami or Cayman Islands as exotic and I think they are boring places because of the amount of time I have spent there. I recently went to Dubai and aside for the Arabic writing on the buildings it felt like any major American city. There are places like Chinatowns in several cities and Little Havana where you might a well be in another country with the lack of English being spoken by the people who live and shop there.

I think a better way to think of it is that exotic means a place that is different from what you are used to.
Comparing Cuba to the Bahamas is like comparing Moscow to London. There is obviously a huge difference.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post

Exactly!! Right on the money.

You hit the nail on the head.

Quote:
Comparing Cuba to the Bahamas is like comparing Moscow to London. There is obviously a huge difference.
And when exactly are two different counties supposed to be similar?? That doesn't make much sense at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or