U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 02:50 AM

2,215 posts, read 3,083,160 times

Advertisements

I searched but didn't see anything so I apologize if this has been posted recently. I was thinking that maybe we could have some feedback on airliners to help people make choices.

Got back from a trip tonight using Southwest and I'm not happy about a few things. I've never had issues in the past but had was not happy with the way certain things developed.

Had an early flight and when we were at the terminal we were delayed because of a weight issue under the plane. Apparently it was not level and had to be adjusted before taking off. This took about 25 minutes to correct. We get ready to take off and right when we are about to take off they shut down the airport due to fog. We sit on the runway for about 90 minutes which causes me to miss my connecting flight.

When landing at the connecting airport we are given tickets for a flight about 3:50 and put on stand by for 10:30. First flight was supposed to leave at 6:50.

Never been on stand by before but had little hope on getting on the 10:30 flight but there was another flight going out at 12:50 that I put myself on stand by for as well.

I wait at the gate and I'm #2 on the stand by list. Then I see a fellow passenger that was on my original flight and briefly talk to her. Then she goes and puts her name on stand by. For some reason she gets put # 2 and they bump me back to # 5. Then her name gets called.

She was just a regular passenger just like me. She didn't have priority boarding (like me) and the customer service said that didn't have anything to do with it anyway. But when I asked them how I went from #2 to #5 they could not give me an answer except the computer does it all

So time goes on and now it's time for a flight I'm actually booked on but it's delayed an hour :/ So we get on at 4:20. Then nothing is going on and 15 minutes later they get on the intercom and say that we had a weight issue but the captain figured out how to get around it and I quote.."we were going to have to ask some passengers to leave the plane but not to worry the issue is resolved".

Here I am worrying about being asked to get taken off because since I was a late add on with late C priority (C50?) they would take the last few people when in reality I paid for priority A boarding.

But I just was amazed how they would sit there and take people off a plane when people have important destinations, plans etc.

But the biggest part that upset me was that I got bumped from #2 to #5 on stand by with no logical reason. Also, I heard that they classified our problem due to weather when in reality we would have never had a fog issue if we left on time. So it's there way to cover up a issue that took almost half an hour to correct.

But end of rant but I'd like to learn about other airliners and problems that might be common to passengers. I'm not saying that Southwest will be on my ignore list in terms of flights but I think I'd like to see if there is anything better out there. Even if it means paying an extra 100-200.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 10:01 AM

2,125 posts, read 2,908,868 times
Airlines use their loyalty program to determine a passenger's priority level when on stand by list. So that other passenger is most likely their frequent flier with long history flying Southwest. Whether or not they have a boarding pass does not matter.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:11 AM

7,292 posts, read 4,145,583 times
What you are describing happens on EVERY airline. Switching airlines won't help.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:11 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,212,583 times
I wouldn't pay any attention at all to one traveler's experience on a particular airline. Any airline can have all kinds of internal problems keeping flight on schedule and running smoothly on the ground, and things could get complicated on any airline. But a great majority of the time, even the worst airline will deliver you trouble-free to your destination.

I have a friend who makes it a point to sit near the door in the departure lounge, so if they come and say they have to bump a passenger, she can be the first to jump up and volunteer for the free night in the hotel and couple of hundred bucks overbooking compensation.

Personally, I've flown on probably 30 or 40 different airlines, and I've never had a single problem that I could blame on the airline being slack or negligent or irresponsible. That includes lines like Aeroflot and Air Mauritania and domestic flights within Bulgaria, and Bolivian Military Transport, which moonlights as commercial to airports with grass strips when the country is not at war, which is like having your teeth done at dentistry college..

Last edited by jtur88; 05-19-2015 at 10:28 AM..

Old 05-19-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Airlines use their loyalty program to determine a passenger's priority level when on stand by list. So that other passenger is most likely their frequent flier with long history flying Southwest. Whether or not they have a boarding pass does not matter.
That makes sense. Obviously if I was a frequent flyer I'd like that bonus. Would have been nice if they had said that was the reason why instead of just saying "we don't know the computer just does it". I don't see the harm in letting passengers know the reason. If anything it makes me a little more confident that if I keep using them I can build that reputation as a frequent flyer and have that benefit.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:20 AM

9,123 posts, read 17,121,718 times
Honestly I'm sure the Gate Staff really don't know why,

There are a number of factors that the "Computer" can use in its logic to determine the Stand-By/Wait-List Sequence:

Frequent Flyer Status
How much you payed for the Ticket
How many in your party
Will getting you on "Early" allow you to make some connecting flight, or just longer wait at some other airport.
Are you OutBound on your Trip, or InBound to Home?

Old 05-19-2015, 06:17 PM

7,678 posts, read 16,089,040 times
I think of Southwest as generally perfectly adequate domestic economy service. There are some thing they do pretty well, other things they do poorly.

IRROPS (irregular operations aka delays) are not their strong point. The legacy carriers have agreements among themselves to help each other out in the event of IRROPS. So your outbound flight on American ingested a hawk on landing on the inbound? American actually can (and sometimes does) have the power to put you on a Delta or United flight to get you to your final destination in a timely manner. I've had Delta reroute me through an entirely different country on a different airline than my ticket because cascading mechanical and weather delays made me miss my connection. Delta also put me on a Northwest flight when their baggage train hit the plane's wing and it took too long to locate the 'on call' mechanic to sign off on the lack of damage and I would have missed a connection. I was also one of the final passengers to fly Mark Air because Northwest rebooked me onto one of their flights (mechanical on my original plane) literally the day before Mark Air declared bankruptcy and ceased all operations. I still feel for the Mark Air employees who were so cheerful and nice and clearly had no idea what was coming.

But way back in the day, Southwest decided not to join into that mutual aid system in the name of cost containment so you're pretty much locked into Southwest no matter how badly Southwest is getting planes into the air at any given time. If they tell you it will be two days before WN can get you to your destination and you want to find something sooner, it's at your cost and not theirs. Same goes for most of the other low cost carriers though I think Jet Blue has said they'd be glad for a dancing partner in that regard.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:17 AM

32,055 posts, read 32,950,797 times
As already said the airlines use different criteria to determine one's priority on a standby list. So even when someone registers to be put on a standby wait list later they could be end up with a higher place on the list with a better chance of getting on the flight due to whatever priority factors the airline has predetermined.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I think of Southwest as generally perfectly adequate domestic economy service. There are some thing they do pretty well, other things they do poorly.

IRROPS (irregular operations aka delays) are not their strong point. The legacy carriers have agreements among themselves to help each other out in the event of IRROPS. So your outbound flight on American ingested a hawk on landing on the inbound? American actually can (and sometimes does) have the power to put you on a Delta or United flight to get you to your final destination in a timely manner. I've had Delta reroute me through an entirely different country on a different airline than my ticket because cascading mechanical and weather delays made me miss my connection. Delta also put me on a Northwest flight when their baggage train hit the plane's wing and it took too long to locate the 'on call' mechanic to sign off on the lack of damage and I would have missed a connection. I was also one of the final passengers to fly Mark Air because Northwest rebooked me onto one of their flights (mechanical on my original plane) literally the day before Mark Air declared bankruptcy and ceased all operations. I still feel for the Mark Air employees who were so cheerful and nice and clearly had no idea what was coming.

But way back in the day, Southwest decided not to join into that mutual aid system in the name of cost containment so you're pretty much locked into Southwest no matter how badly Southwest is getting planes into the air at any given time. If they tell you it will be two days before WN can get you to your destination and you want to find something sooner, it's at your cost and not theirs. Same goes for most of the other low cost carriers though I think Jet Blue has said they'd be glad for a dancing partner in that regard.

This is great info for somebody with little knowledge of how the system works (like me). I had heard that some airlines will switch passengers to a different airline for certain circumstances.

I didn't mean to have a full rant but wanted to list everything so I can learn how how all this works. I'm not saying I won't fly Southwest again but knowing what you just said is very helpful. Thanks

Old 05-20-2015, 08:22 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,443,006 times
I've said this a billion times already but I'll keep saying it.

There is practically no difference in service or foot space between pretty much any airline I've ever experienced, which is a great many. There's no reason to pay more for a certain one at this point. Anything bad that happens is just luck or lack thereof.

Basically, the only thing that changes between airlines are the colour schemes inside the planes.

Last edited by Jesse44; 05-20-2015 at 08:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or