U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 12:01 PM

120 posts, read 229,561 times

Advertisements

So I have the opportunity to extend my trip here. In all honesty, even though I don't exactly love this part of downtown Phoenix, there are some upsides: it's cheap, there's lots of street theatre right from my window, and it's not home...nobody can bug me here. I don't want to leave and I have the chance to stay a while longer. There's just one little hitch..

I take three prescription medications daily and I allotted enough for my stay here and I can't just go without it. I need to know if it's okay for my parents to pick up my medications and send them Fed Ex or UPS or something. I know I'd have to have all my paperwork in the package and the prescriptions are of course in my name.

Has anyone else experienced this while travelling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 12:15 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,096,825 times
I would use you parents as a last resort. I don't know what the exact rules are in terms of sending meds internationally but you are also putting yourself at the mercy of the delivery services and while they are usually reliable, it's not something you should risk. Depending on your insurance and any agreements they may have with US pharmacies, all you may need to do is have you doctor send in a prescription to cover the amount of time you plan to stay. Another option would be to see if your insurance has an urgent care center that recommend you go and they can prescribe what you need.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:12 AM

14,262 posts, read 24,004,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto416 View Post
I take three prescription medications daily and I allotted enough for my stay here and I can't just go without it. I need to know if it's okay for my parents to pick up my medications and send them Fed Ex or UPS or something. I know I'd have to have all my paperwork in the package and the prescriptions are of course in my name.

Has anyone else experienced this while travelling?

I will be leaving on a long road trip and I always take an extra week or twos worth of medication with me in case I have to stay with my family longer than expected.

My recommendation - and it will not be cheap - would be to head over to one of those clinics at Walgreen's or CVS and talk with the nurse practitioner who is on duty. She should be able to approve a prescription for two weeks of MANY prescriptions. Do realize that if you are talking about a narcotic or a pain killer, you may be out of luck.

A few years ago, I left Chicago with none of my prescriptions and I had to do this. I was able to beg and borrow three of the medicines from family members. However, the other three I received a 15 day supply from Walgreen's.

At least you have a shot. My father left one prescription at home when he left for Ontario and he ended up crossing the border to New York to pick up a prescription as the local doctors would not prescribe the drug.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:19 AM

15,079 posts, read 19,030,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
I would use you parents as a last resort. I don't know what the exact rules are in terms of sending meds internationally but you are also putting yourself at the mercy of the delivery services and while they are usually reliable, it's not something you should risk. Depending on your insurance and any agreements they may have with US pharmacies, all you may need to do is have you doctor send in a prescription to cover the amount of time you plan to stay. Another option would be to see if your insurance has an urgent care center that recommend you go and they can prescribe what you need.
He's Canadian. I don't think his Canadian doctors prescription is going to be accepted in the US. I also doubt that Canadian socialized medicine is gonna pay that urgent care visit.

FedEx should work, assuming nothing is a controlled drug, illegal to prescribe in the US or a narcotic. But if missing a few doses is too much of a health risk, i wouldn't chance it. JLawrence had a reasonable solution as well.

Me? I'd just go home. DT Phoenix isn't all that great anyhow - unless you've got a car and can go see some of the other beautiful areas of that state - including many very nearby. Love the music museum in Scottsdale, BTW.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:57 AM

Thanks everyone...yea, I think I'm going home on Tuesday when I originally planned, I can always come back here in the fall when it doesn't get so hot.

As a budget traveller, I'm kind of 'roughing it' here in downtown Phoenix and from this window I've seen things at night I've never seen firsthand before. I hate to say street theatre is entertaining, but now I know where people are coming from when they talk about what it's like to live in an area like this...

Old 05-22-2015, 12:57 AM

9,029 posts, read 16,438,315 times
I'm curious about what kind of street theater and what types of things you have never seen. Downtown Phoenix is very tame.

Weather has been fantastic and cooler than normal which should continue through the weekend. Find a way to get out and enjoy it.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:26 AM

Well, I love historic places and I did some research before coming here. I read about the New Windsor Hotel which, architecturally is great example of historic buildings out here. I talked the manager into letting me stay here. By street theatre it's a variety of just people from all over the world all crossing paths to someplace downtown or in the city; at night I quickly noticed this area (6th & W Adams) has a lot of homeless, drugs, panhandling; I'm not sure if there's a shelter around here (someone was saying they had no shelter beds left, so the city opened a fenced-off parking lot over by 11th and Madison and I guess that's where people had been sleeping). I've talked to some and once you start talking to them you understand why they're in the predicament they're in...many say they're from California...I don't know if it's a lot cheaper to live in Phoenix and a lot of folks from California are moving over; I've also seen people asking for money so they can get the bus 'back home' to Los Angeles.
I love it out here. I've always loved the southwest because it brings out people like me who never thought they'd be interested in the desert or the border or the combination of cultures but once you get here it's hard not to become interested. I'm already checking out the used bookstores here for locally written mysteries or books on historic downtown, etc...

I can't wait to come back! You're right it's very safe here otherwise. My parents would not be thrilled if I put myself in a dangerous situation.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:09 AM

13,343 posts, read 17,418,107 times
It'll be 5000-degrees there soon -- that's 2760 Celsius to Canadians. Get out before you burn to a crisp!

Old 05-22-2015, 11:37 AM

Definitely interesting. I'm sure the residents inside the building provide for some intersting company as well.

The St. Vincent DePaul kitchen/facility is a bit south west of there and a lot of shelters are in that area. Places like the Windsor are also pretty much poor houses, so that area can get active at times.

I've worked the SVDP kitchen a couple of times and it definitely is different in that surrounding area.

Not sure if anything is going on in the Bolin park by the capitol this weekend, but there are some interesting memorials along with the capitol itself.

The pueblo grande site is a cheap and interesting visit if you want to get a feel for the earliest Phoenix as its an archeological site. Right off the light rail near 44th street. Also a big swap meet/flea market in that area off the light rail if you are into offbeat things like that

Heard museum off the light rail on central avenue is fantastic for native artifacts and some history. It costs a bit more though.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
It'll be 5000-degrees there soon -- that's 2760 Celsius to Canadians. Get out before you burn to a crisp!
It's 76 right now and the Sunday high will be in the low 80s ...... It's definitely coming, but this cool weather right now is unexpected awesomeness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or