U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 09:42 AM

39 posts, read 35,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Did you actually read the insurance policy? I can pretty much guarantee that you won't be able to "just lie" to file a claim. Filing a claim usually involves extensive forms and documentation.
I now realize this hahaha. Well, looks like I'm going to Europe regardless of my financial situation! It's sink or swim. I actually like this, because I'm being forced to figure things out now rather than just saying "one day I'll go to Europe but I'll figure it out later". . Now Im going to europe and I have to hustle to make it work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
You are young. Do it now, because later you won't be able to, have fun! Explore, be an adventurer!
This is exactly what makes me feel okay about everything. Everyone in my life thinks I'm being crazy, but now is definitely the time to do it.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Establish a good relationship with temp agency, or several temp agencies. Depending where you are, you can stem the bleeding to some degree while waiting for a full time slot to open up by short term contracts. There's always going to be someone in an office that's out sick/on maternity leave/the company doesn't know if they've got the budget to fill a spot permanently/it's tax season and they need extra hands on deck.

The ability to handle giant multi-line phone systems and handle anything necessary in Microsoft Office while being pleasant and reliable can get a lot of people steady, if sometimes low-paying, temp office work. Alternately- do you have the temperament to be competent waitstaff? Sometimes the money can be quite good for a shorter, if often hard, work week.

Great idea!! I was also considering job agencies.. If I explained to them that I'll be back mid-April, maybe they could keep their eyes out for something

Old 05-22-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I do this all the time, although I still live at home. You'll figure it out. Keep with the plan. Also, I don't think you need to spend anywhere near $5000 on this trip necessarily. You could probably easily keep it down to 3K, even with the flights.
Yeah, but the Eurorail pass is really steep... $700 plus. That adds on a lot. But I'm definitely going to keep a tight budget while I'm there

Old 05-22-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I did something similar at that age level and I did not regret it. Enjoy!
Nice.. I can't see why anyone would ultimately regret something like this. Even if things are tight financially afterwards, you got to see a little bit of the world. And to me that's worth more than money.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:03 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,621,896 times
GO!!! Have fun! Don't stress. You are young, this is the time to do it.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:16 AM

1,430 posts, read 1,909,502 times
Go. You'll have a blast.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:31 AM

12,275 posts, read 12,516,106 times
You really need to do it. As you point out, it's now or never. However, I think you are a little early in the year unless you plan on hanging out in Southern Europe. Greece, Italy and Spain in March would be great. Germany not so much. May and June would be better, if you can re-book.

Six weeks is just about ideal. I spent 3 months in Europe 30 years ago, and after 6 weeks I was getting kind of burned out on travel. Six weeks will give you enough time to see a lot. Watch out for predators, who hang out around train stations and will try to separate you from the crowd.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:44 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,096,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rathernotsayyy View Post
Yeah, but the Eurorail pass is really steep... $700 plus. That adds on a lot. But I'm definitely going to keep a tight budget while I'm there
Don't forget to consider some of the low cost airlines like EasyJet and Ryanair. You may be able to get flights as cheap as 20 or 30 Euros. If you're traveling light it may be a better way to get to a new region to explore. Also try to take advantage of deals offered by regional trains, for example Trenitalia offers 2 for 1 fares on Saturdays, as you make friends on your journey, you may be able to find someone who can take advantage of the deal with you

Old 05-22-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You really need to do it. As you point out, it's now or never. However, I think you are a little early in the year unless you plan on hanging out in Southern Europe. Greece, Italy and Spain in March would be great. Germany not so much. May and June would be better, if you can re-book.

Six weeks is just about ideal. I spent 3 months in Europe 30 years ago, and after 6 weeks I was getting kind of burned out on travel. Six weeks will give you enough time to see a lot. Watch out for predators, who hang out around train stations and will try to separate you from the crowd.
Yeah, I know it will be a little chilly, but the ticket was cheaper and I figure it'll be less crowded. But I don't know, maybe I'll rebook after I research things a bit more.

Also thanks for the tip and reassurance about my time frame. I've heard other people say they get burnt out at that point too actually.. My dad was telling me that he and my mom were so sick of traveling after a couple months that they just got a hotel and stayed in one place for a long amount of time instead of continuing on. They also booked their trip for 3 months
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel