Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 10:51 AM

39 posts, read 41,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
Don't forget to consider some of the low cost airlines like EasyJet and Ryanair. You may be able to get flights as cheap as 20 or 30 Euros. If you're traveling light it may be a better way to get to a new region to explore. Also try to take advantage of deals offered by regional trains, for example Trenitalia offers 2 for 1 fares on Saturdays, as you make friends on your journey, you may be able to find someone who can take advantage of the deal with you
well I guess this brings up another question.. Are there any train rides throughout Europe that are too pretty to miss? Because I guess I could take the train for the prettiest routes but then take a plane for the rest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 10:52 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,976,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rathernotsayyy View Post
Yeah, I know it will be a little chilly, but the ticket was cheaper and I figure it'll be less crowded. But I don't know, maybe I'll rebook after I research things a bit more.
You can always keep the original ticket and just book cheap flights on low-cost carries like Easyjet or Ryan Air to head further south if that's where you decide you'd rather be. Do a cost comparison before you decide which option (changing the original ticket versus booking additional low-cost flights) to go with.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:09 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,154,119 times
You were here talking about planning this trip two months ago, so it's not all that impulsive, no? I can't help but feel like it's a little bit of a humble-brag to pose this as "oh dear, how stupid and impulsive am I??" when you've clearly thought it through for some time. You already know it's not going to ruin your life, evident in your subsequent posts. You don't really need two dozen strangers saying "Oh honey, don't doubt yourself, you should go for it!" to validate this choice, right? Just own it.

And enjoy, and have fun!

Old 05-22-2015, 11:19 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,267,606 times
You might seriously consider securing a second job now and putting the income from that job into savings specifically for your post-trip return, just in case you aren't able to return to your job or find another. Don't blow your savings on this trip unless you have 2-3 months of expenses in reserve for when you get back.

Last edited by apexgds; 05-22-2015 at 12:18 PM..

Old 05-22-2015, 12:27 PM

733 posts, read 852,743 times
Man, if she didn't quit, I'd fire her.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:37 PM

39 posts, read 41,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
Man, if she didn't quit, I'd fire her.
Why? Lots of people leave jobs to see the world.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:39 PM

402 posts, read 369,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rathernotsayyy View Post
I did buy travel insurance, so I'm able to cancel the ticket and get a refund if need be. I think I need to have a good reason for canceling but I'll just lie if I have to.
Nice, admitting on a public forum that you plan to commit insurance fraud.

I say go for it (the trip, not lying to get the insurance money). You can only get away with stuff like this for a few more years, assuming at one point you plan on having kids.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:56 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,481,242 times
Good for you. Do it! I was 21, attending college, working a 40 hour week packing paper towels, and had an off again, on again boyfriend. I quit school, job, boyfriend to attend school in Italy for a year then stayed for the summer as a tour guide in Rome. Impulsive? Yes, but I never regretted it. Returned to US a different person. I changed my major, found a work study position, still had on again, off again boyfriend.

Your youth is a grand time to explore the world and who you are. If you marry, start a family it can still be done but it's a bit more complicated.

Buon viaggio!!

Old 05-22-2015, 01:12 PM

6,380 posts, read 6,269,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
BTW collecting on that travel insurance isn't going to be THAT easy - unless you're sleeping with a bonafide physician who will fabricate medical reasons you can't travel AND document it. Or a funeral director who will provide fraudulent a death certificate for a member of your immediate family.
Yup.

I would pay for this service if you could recommend someone for my future needs

Old 05-22-2015, 01:25 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,151,102 times
You know now that I've thought about it some more (brought back to this thread by reps) I'd say you keep your job if there's a way they let you go on unpaid leave. Cause six weeks isn't very long. If you were gonna go on a life changing around the world trip then make it 6 months and move your stuff back in with family or into storage. Hehe, I see this as a long vacation, but not a career changing global trek.

But that's just my perspective...life-changing moments can come in many shapes and sizes. Hope it all works out!! Central and Eastern Europe can be much cheaper and just as amazing. Staying in hostels isn't scary just keep your wits about you and be pragmatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel