U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 01:30 PM

39 posts, read 35,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumline View Post
Nice, admitting on a public forum that you plan to commit insurance fraud.
Just kidding? Hah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
You know now that I've thought about it some more (brought back to this thread by reps) I'd say you keep your job if there's a way they let you go on unpaid leave. Cause six weeks isn't very long. If you were gonna go on a life changing around the world trip then make it 6 months and move your stuff back in with family or into storage. Hehe, I see this as a long vacation, but not a career changing global trek.

But that's just my perspective...life-changing moments can come in many shapes and sizes. Hope it all works out!! Central and Eastern Europe can be much cheaper and just as amazing. Staying in hostels isn't scary just keep your wits about you and be pragmatic.
Yeah, it's just tough because they wouldn't really be able to go that long without a receptionist. But thank you for the advice!

Old 05-22-2015, 02:02 PM

26 posts, read 33,475 times
Could you start apply for jobs in a few months with the start date being after you return? My job hired me a year in advance (granted, I was hired while I was still in school) but they were very flexible with the start date. If you could find a job that allows some flexibility like that you'd be all set when you get back.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:05 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,646,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rathernotsayyy View Post
I'm a 25 year old female. This morning, i impulsively bought a ticket to Europe from March 1 2016-mid April 2016.. I'll be backpacking around for a month and a half. In order to do that I'd need to quit my job - I'm a receptionist and its dead end so quitting isn't the worst thing in the world. But they can't just go that long without a receptionist so quitting is my only option. I'll have at least $10,000 saved up, but obviously about half of that will go to travel.

So basically I'll come back to an apartment (roughly $1000 per month including utilities) and no job, with only $5000 in savings.

How stupid is this? Has anyone done anything similar? I just figure now is the time to see Europe, when I don't have any longterm commitments or a real career. I did buy travel insurance, so I'm able to cancel the ticket and get a refund if need be. I think I need to have a good reason for canceling but I'll just lie if I have to.

Does anyone know anything about applying for jobs months in advance? In a perfect world id have a job lined up for when I get back.

Thanks!!
I wouldn't be so worried or in any hurry to get back here if I had an opportunity like this. Might as well find work in Europe...and explore it further.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
I wouldn't be so worried or in any hurry to get back here if I had an opportunity like this. Might as well find work in Europe...and explore it further.
That would be such a dream.. Sigh

Old 05-22-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexadecimal View Post
Could you start apply for jobs in a few months with the start date being after you return? My job hired me a year in advance (granted, I was hired while I was still in school) but they were very flexible with the start date. If you could find a job that allows some flexibility like that you'd be all set when you get back.
That's what I was hoping for, but I know most hiring managers would rather hire someone straight away than wait around.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:04 PM

7,724 posts, read 16,190,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Note that time spent in the UK and the Schengen zone is now pretty well-tracked, and overstays can result in a four figure fine and a ban from a country or customs region of up to ten years. Also it's illegal to work anywhere in Europe while you're there on a tourist visa or under a visa waiver system.

I think there are some 'working holiday' types of visa options that are nice and legal if you're a college student or 25& under and such if you want to explore more.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:21 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,646,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Note that time spent in the UK and the Schengen zone is now pretty well-tracked, and overstays can result in a four figure fine and a ban from a country or customs region of up to ten years. Also it's illegal to work anywhere in Europe while you're there on a tourist visa or under a visa waiver system.

I think there are some 'working holiday' types of visa options that are nice and legal if you're a college student or 25& under and such if you want to explore more.
Interesting! I wonder why we don't have such rules!

Old 05-22-2015, 05:22 PM

9,802 posts, read 15,028,626 times
I'm interested in why you think Europe will be safe a year from now. Scandinavia might be OK, but everything from Holland all the way to Greece could be more dangerous next year than it already is.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:54 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,200,134 times
When I spent several months traveling in Europe, I flew on Icelandic Air and took a short trip to their capitol city for 3 days, which was very enjoyable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel