U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 09:59 PM

10,868 posts, read 14,237,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rathernotsayyy View Post
So basically a bit cold, and rainy?
Date as much as you can while you're there. That's what I did. I cannot recommend that highly enough. Especially if you find yourself in some country's wine region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 07:07 AM

4,054 posts, read 9,102,887 times
Quote:
Yeah, it's just tough because they wouldn't really be able to go that long without a receptionist. But thank you for the advice!
They could easily get a temp in and train them before you leave....most companies would do this and many do for maternity leave etc.!

Old 05-24-2015, 07:09 AM

4,054 posts, read 9,102,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Interesting! I wonder why we don't have such rules!
Who's "we"?

US and Canada have these rules !!!

Old 05-24-2015, 10:04 AM

6,308 posts, read 6,960,359 times
Quote:
Sorry to drag up my thread again, but I didn't want to start a new one.

Has anyone else backpacked Europe throughout the months of March/April? Is it an okay time to go? What types of things are there to do?

Thanks!
I've only been to Europe twice, once in the summer and once in the fall.

That said, March/April should be a good time to hit touristy areas when they're slightly less busy (fall is probably "slowest" overall) and the weather will not be too cold in the north and higher altitudes, yet it won't be too hot in the south like Greece and Italy. I couldnt stand the heat in Italy when I was there in the summertime.

Know this...while a month and a half is a ton of time, when it comes to seeing the vast continent of Europe you will only be scratching the surface. You have a whole year to research, but you'll definitely have to make some choices cause at best you're only gonna see 10% of all that is fascinating and beautiful there. Especially if you're the kind of person, like me, who would be happy to linger in a small town for a week or two, then you're probably just gonna see .00001%.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:41 AM

14,244 posts, read 14,130,781 times
We've just had a fantastic time in northern Italy back in April.

Lake Garda was especially nice with lovely spring weather combined with very low crowds.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:59 AM

39 posts, read 35,790 times
Thank you again everyone for every single response! I don't know what it is about these travel forums, but everyone on them is so helpful.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:00 PM

39 posts, read 35,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I've only been to Europe twice, once in the summer and once in the fall.

That said, March/April should be a good time to hit touristy areas when they're slightly less busy (fall is probably "slowest" overall) and the weather will not be too cold in the north and higher altitudes, yet it won't be too hot in the south like Greece and Italy. I couldnt stand the heat in Italy when I was there in the summertime.

Know this...while a month and a half is a ton of time, when it comes to seeing the vast continent of Europe you will only be scratching the surface. You have a whole year to research, but you'll definitely have to make some choices cause at best you're only gonna see 10% of all that is fascinating and beautiful there. Especially if you're the kind of person, like me, who would be happy to linger in a small town for a week or two, then you're probably just gonna see .00001%.
Thanks hahaha. I'm definitely the type of person to get swept up in a place and then just stay there for longer than I should.

But nice. I was planning on spending a bit of time in London (at least a week) but it's good to know that I can just swing down to Italy if it gets too rainy and/or cold there in March.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:38 PM

232 posts, read 212,639 times
Can i go with you? lol.. I was actually this close to buying an ticket to Croatia and right as i hit the checkout button i came-back to my sense. While i think its a great idea to travel and explore the world, We have to be realistic 10k is nothing - what will happen when you get back and you're jobless with very little in savings? Have you considered shortening your trip? If so perhaps that may be the best option this way it will give you enough time to get back and find a new job while at the same time not wasting $1000 on an month of rent for an place you aren't using.

Best of luck!

Old 05-26-2015, 07:41 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,353,473 times
Quote:
So basically a bit cold, and rainy?
Depends where you go. But you'll have to plan for cool weather and some rain, yes. But try not to pack too much--you can buy anything you need while you're there.

I've been in Portugal in March, and Greece in April--both had pretty nice weather really, although it did rain a bit in Portugal, mostly just a mist, but one heavy downpour. These two countries tend to be cheaper than the rest, and could occupy an entire six weeks.

Spain is dependable at that time of year as well, and probably Italy. I would stick to the south--you didn't say where you are flying into. Of course big cities wherever they are are fun, even in winter, and can be more authentic with fewer tourists around.

I think your biggest issue will be planning where you'll spend your six weeks, and an itinerary. Fodor's forums are very good at that--if you post a proposed itinerary, you'll have lots of expert travelers giving you advice about how to tweak it. Bottom line--you want to be able to smell the roses, so don't pack in too much--six weeks is really not very long.

Also think about whether you want to make friends along the way--hostels can be good for that. Or there's "woofing", for example (work-exchange program involving organic farms.) Traveling alone can be quite lonely, so think on that a bit. If you're a loner, then perhaps that's fine, but if you crave company, there are ways to meet people.

I did this a long time ago, but for 9 months. We (a boyfriend) left in October and came home in June. We had a great time, and although I was happy to be home at the end, I could have gone again right away. I've had the opportunity to travel a fair amount in the decades since then, but this trip changed my life. I hope you will find out the meaning of the phrase, "travel broadens".

And you have all this time to plan--that's great, use it.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:48 AM

761 posts, read 637,263 times
Well, you only live once.

If you didn't do it and later live to regret it, that's not great either.
It does seem rather impulsive being where I am now, close to retirement and never having done anything so adventurous.

At 25, you may be a bit behind the curve when it comes to planning out a future.
Marry well! Lol

I guess I might be concerned about health coverage in case something came up on the trip.

One thing you'll find on the forums is lots of opinions and you know what the saying is about that.

Just go back and reexamine the reasons you chose to take this trip.
If you can validate it in your own mind, you don't need anyone else to validate it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel