U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 04:01 PM

39 posts, read 35,843 times

Advertisements

I'm a 25 year old female. This morning, i impulsively bought a ticket to Europe from March 1 2016-mid April 2016.. I'll be backpacking around for a month and a half. In order to do that I'd need to quit my job - I'm a receptionist and its dead end so quitting isn't the worst thing in the world. But they can't just go that long without a receptionist so quitting is my only option. I'll have at least $10,000 saved up, but obviously about half of that will go to travel.

So basically I'll come back to an apartment (roughly $1000 per month including utilities) and no job, with only $5000 in savings.

How stupid is this? Has anyone done anything similar? I just figure now is the time to see Europe, when I don't have any longterm commitments or a real career. I did buy travel insurance, so I'm able to cancel the ticket and get a refund if need be. I think I need to have a good reason for canceling but I'll just lie if I have to.

Does anyone know anything about applying for jobs months in advance? In a perfect world id have a job lined up for when I get back.

Thanks!!

Last edited by rathernotsayyy; 05-21-2015 at 04:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 04:21 PM

7,689 posts, read 16,136,434 times
Establish a good relationship with temp agency, or several temp agencies. Depending where you are, you can stem the bleeding to some degree while waiting for a full time slot to open up by short term contracts. There's always going to be someone in an office that's out sick/on maternity leave/the company doesn't know if they've got the budget to fill a spot permanently/it's tax season and they need extra hands on deck.

The ability to handle giant multi-line phone systems and handle anything necessary in Microsoft Office while being pleasant and reliable can get a lot of people steady, if sometimes low-paying, temp office work. Alternately- do you have the temperament to be competent waitstaff? Sometimes the money can be quite good for a shorter, if often hard, work week.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:52 PM

5,481 posts, read 2,938,123 times
You are young. Do it now, because later you won't be able to, have fun! Explore, be an adventurer!

Old 05-21-2015, 05:59 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,456,056 times
I do this all the time, although I still live at home. You'll figure it out. Keep with the plan. Also, I don't think you need to spend anywhere near $5000 on this trip necessarily. You could probably easily keep it down to 3K, even with the flights.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:18 PM

15,109 posts, read 19,078,518 times
BTW collecting on that travel insurance isn't going to be THAT easy - unless you're sleeping with a bonafide physician who will fabricate medical reasons you can't travel AND document it. Or a funeral director who will provide fraudulent a death certificate for a member of your immediate family.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:13 PM

7,333 posts, read 4,186,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rathernotsayyy View Post
I'll be backpacking around for a month and a half. In order to do that I'd need to quit my job - I'm a receptionist and its dead end so quitting isn't the worst thing in the world. But they can't just go that long without a receptionist so quitting is my only option.
Are you sure of that? You might be able to get unpaid leave, with the office hiring a temp to cover until you come back from your trip. Don't just assume quitting is your only option.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:27 PM

6,324 posts, read 6,994,449 times
Congrats!! Where do you live? You may not want to come back!! haha

Old 05-22-2015, 06:06 AM

32,149 posts, read 33,059,143 times
I did something similar at that age level and I did not regret it. Enjoy!

Old 05-22-2015, 07:30 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,379,050 times
There are ways to salvage this, instead of spending a year worrying about it.

For a couple of hundred rebooking fee (depending on the airline) you can reschedule your trip for right now. Just go. Sort things out when you get home. The weather will be a lot nicer than Europe in March.

Call it a learning experience, and think of having accelerated it by almost a year. Instead of spending the whole year fretting about it.

In fact, rebook and go to Southeast Asia instead. The plane fares are actually cheaper, the cost of travel there is a lot cheaper, the weather is much nicer.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:12 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,848,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rathernotsayyy View Post
I did buy travel insurance, so I'm able to cancel the ticket and get a refund if need be. I think I need to have a good reason for canceling but I'll just lie if I have to.
Did you actually read the insurance policy? I can pretty much guarantee that you won't be able to "just lie" to file a claim. Filing a claim usually involves extensive forms and documentation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel