U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 02:21 PM

422 posts, read 345,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What did I say she could "do or see there"?

The bus might not run often enough, but one option would be to go the opposite direction, to Chepo, which is a real Panamanian country town, quite friendly and similar to any other Panamanian town, unspoiled by tourists. But 4 hours might be cutting that too thin. I hope you don't think that you cannot "experience" a country without going to that country's equivalent of the Mall of America or Times Square. Unless you're talking about taking a taxi, nothing is "20 minutes away" if you also have to count the waiting time for the bus to depart.

Even in the trees and lawns around the airport terminal, she can hear or maybe see species of birds that exist nowhere else in the world. That is a Panamanian experience. So is sitting and listening to Panamanian radio in a little cantina drinking a can of cold Balboa and watching Panamanians pass away the time of their day. Do not assume everyone defines an experience exactly the same way you do, and wishes to go home only with your memories of metromalls. Let people discover their own experiences.
Lord, what are you talking about? What is in Chepo to see or experience? The river Mamoni? and besides that? It will take her like an hour to go there to see nothing, unless she wants to swim in the river's waters.

I didnt say that the malls are the only thing to see in Pty, but as she mentioned it, she has no enough time to go all the way into the city, now, taking a taxi, twenty minutes away from the airport are plenty of things to see and do, for example, I live in Brisas del Golf which is about 20 minutes and before I enter my neighborhood, I have seen Tocumen, UTP, La Siesta, some small neighborhoods which I dont remember, Don Bosco, Bello Horizonte, Las Acacias, Pedregal, San Antonio, Los Pueblos, Metromall, Cerro Viento and then Brisas del Golf and you have done all of this in 20 minutes, of course, you cannot stop, it is a non-stop drive.

About the birds, I am tired of watching them, therefore, they are not exciting to me, but on the other hand, she might like it because she hasnt seen them and she may enjoy doing that, since she is coming from another latitude, but sitting in a little cantina (there are plenty of them between the airport and Brisas del Golf) listening to music and having a cold beer, wtf, what a way to enjoy your time. I personally would like having memories of metromall than of a little **** smelling cantina in the outskirts of Pty... And I am Panamanian btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 07:16 PM

3,203 posts, read 3,196,256 times
So I would still like to stay in panama Monday afternoon through Tuesday afternoon.

Plan to see Panama Canal one day and old town the other.

First quote I got for a personal tour guide to do these 2 activities (includes transportation to and from airport) was $230. Way too high for me.

Any recommendations? Do I definitely need to have a tour guide accompany me to both of these places?

Old 06-06-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
So I would still like to stay in panama Monday afternoon through Tuesday afternoon.

Plan to see Panama Canal one day and old town the other.

First quote I got for a personal tour guide to do these 2 activities (includes transportation to and from airport) was $230. Way too high for me.

Any recommendations? Do I definitely need to have a tour guide accompany me to both of these places?
Yes, you are going to need a guide since you dont know the country. I could have helped if you had come this week for I was in vacation, unfortunately, I get back to work on Monday. Now, what hotel are you going to be staying at? Have you made your reservation yet? Normally, at the hotels there are tour guides that take guests to Casco Viejo and the Canal and I guess they charge way less than $230. Just ask for this service at the front desk.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post
Yes, you are going to need a guide since you dont know the country. I could have helped if you had come this week for I was in vacation, unfortunately, I get back to work on Monday. Now, what hotel are you going to be staying at? Have you made your reservation yet? Normally, at the hotels there are tour guides that take guests to Casco Viejo and the Canal and I guess they charge way less than $230. Just ask for this service at the front desk.
I had planned on staying at the Tryp hotel downtown. I haven't made my reservation yet plan on doing so within the next 12 hours. I am now looking at Casco Viejo area so I could stay near one of the two activities I wanted to do.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:38 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Quote:
Lord, what are you talking about? What is in Chepo to see or experience? The river Mamoni? and besides that? It will take her like an hour to go there to see nothing, unless she wants to swim in the river's waters.

I didnt say that the malls are the only thing to see in Pty, but as she mentioned it, she has no enough time to go all the way into the city, now, taking a taxi, twenty minutes away from the airport are plenty of things to see and do, for example, I live in Brisas del Golf which is about 20 minutes and before I enter my neighborhood, I have seen Tocumen, UTP, La Siesta, some small neighborhoods which I dont remember, Don Bosco, Bello Horizonte, Las Acacias, Pedregal, San Antonio, Los Pueblos, Metromall, Cerro Viento and then Brisas del Golf and you have done all of this in 20 minutes, of course, you cannot stop, it is a non-stop drive.

About the birds, I am tired of watching them, therefore, they are not exciting to me, but on the other hand, she might like it because she hasnt seen them and she may enjoy doing that, since she is coming from another latitude, but sitting in a little cantina (there are plenty of them between the airport and Brisas del Golf) listening to music and having a cold beer, wtf, what a way to enjoy your time. I personally would like having memories of metromall than of a little **** smelling cantina in the outskirts of Pty... And I am Panamanian btw.
Oh, I see where you are coming from. A am an American living in south Texas , and I would not bother to go far out of my way to see, for example, Pearsall, Texas. But a person from another continent who has only once chance in his life to see the USA and that would be two hours in Pearsall, Texas, that would be pretty good experience of seeing what America is like. Same goes for a person with two hours of their life to see your country. It is not up to you to decide whether a person's experience in your country is valid or not.

And since you seem to be burdened with the conception that everybody wants to see exactly the same things that you want to see, I can absolutely assure you that I wold be bored to tears following along in your company as a traveler. I loved Chepo, I stayed overnight there and found the people wonderfully hospitable. There were no hotels there because there was an official policy to tell all arriving tourist not to say overnight, but once they tell you that, everyone turns their back and there is no trouble finding a family to take in a guest overnight, nor a friendly offer to buy you a beer in a **** smelling cantina. It was much more memorable than anything I saw in PTY.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:23 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,224,622 times
Quote:
I have a 4.5 hour layover in Panama City, Panama on Monday, June 8th. My flight leaves at 6:45 pm.

Would it be insane to try to do 1 sight seeing activity and catch a quick dinner? Or do I need to stay my butt in the airport?

ETA: By sight seeing I mean just go straight to Casco Viejo and spend an hour walking around taking photos, then grab a meal to go for the ride back to the airport.

No chance

Old 06-07-2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
I had planned on staying at the Tryp hotel downtown. I haven't made my reservation yet plan on doing so within the next 12 hours. I am now looking at Casco Viejo area so I could stay near one of the two activities I wanted to do.
The Tryp Hotel is not in downtown, it is in Albrook Mall, which is half way from those two places you want to visit.

Albrook Mall is right next to the Bus Depot, where you can get buses going to the Canal, you can get the one that says Miraflores, but you will have to buy a card first, I think the card costs $2.00 and the bus fare is 0.25 so if you recharge it with $3.00 you will have enough credit to go there and back, just make sure they tell you where to come down from the bus and where the bus will pick you up and the time because I think that route has its own schedule.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Oh, I see where you are coming from. A am an American living in south Texas , and I would not bother to go far out of my way to see, for example, Pearsall, Texas. But a person from another continent who has only once chance in his life to see the USA and that would be two hours in Pearsall, Texas, that would be pretty good experience of seeing what America is like. Same goes for a person with two hours of their life to see your country. It is not up to you to decide whether a person's experience in your country is valid or not.

And since you seem to be burdened with the conception that everybody wants to see exactly the same things that you want to see, I can absolutely assure you that I wold be bored to tears following along in your company as a traveler. I loved Chepo, I stayed overnight there and found the people wonderfully hospitable. There were no hotels there because there was an official policy to tell all arriving tourist not to say overnight, but once they tell you that, everyone turns their back and there is no trouble finding a family to take in a guest overnight, nor a friendly offer to buy you a beer in a **** smelling cantina. It was much more memorable than anything I saw in PTY.
Whatever dude, think what you want. It seems like your world only revolves around beers, nothing else. This is getting old. Adiós.

Last edited by folicure; 06-07-2015 at 11:54 PM..

Old 06-08-2015, 05:21 AM

Quote:
The Tryp Hotel is not in downtown, it is in Albrook Mall, which is half way from those two places you want to visit.

Albrook Mall is right next to the Bus Depot, where you can get buses going to the Canal, you can get the one that says Miraflores, but you will have to buy a card first, I think the card costs $2.00 and the bus fare is 0.25 so if you recharge it with $3.00 you will have enough credit to go there and back, just make sure they tell you where to come down from the bus and where the bus will pick you up and the time because I think that route has its own schedule.
FYI there are two Tryp hotels; one in Albrook and one in Centro.

Thanks for the info!

Old 06-09-2015, 10:10 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Quote:
Whatever dude, think what you want. It seems like your world only revolves around beers, nothing else. This is getting old. Adiós.
At least, in Chepo. they will meet nice, friendly Panamanians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or