Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 10:10 AM

4,213 posts, read 4,738,815 times

Advertisements

I have a 4.5 hour layover in Panama City, Panama on Monday, June 8th. My flight leaves at 6:45 pm.

Would it be insane to try to do 1 sight seeing activity and catch a quick dinner? Or do I need to stay my butt in the airport?

ETA: By sight seeing I mean just go straight to Casco Viejo and spend an hour walking around taking photos, then grab a meal to go for the ride back to the airport.

Last edited by southkakkatlantan; 05-26-2015 at 10:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 10:19 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
Yes it would be insane.

Keep your butt planted at the airport, In the international Transit zone...

Old 05-26-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Yes it would be insane.

Keep your butt planted at the airport, In the international Transit zone...
LOL

I know, I know...I saw these pics of Casco Viejo and thought it would be cool to get some shots/walk around that area. I know it would be extremely short but I haven't done any research yet on the distance/travel time and of course safety/what the airport is like there.

My close friend who travels a lot said to throw my stuff in a locker in the airport and do it...however he likes to 'live on the edge' lol.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:11 AM

Let me throw this out here....may also be a crazy idea...

I am off the next day. I am throwing around the idea of just getting off in Panama City that Monday and staying the night...then flying out of Panama City standby the next day. There's like 10 flights going out that next day right now and none of them are close to fully booked yet, and that's less than 2 weeks away from now.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:34 AM

2,123 posts, read 1,789,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Let me throw this out here....may also be a crazy idea...

I am off the next day. I am throwing around the idea of just getting off in Panama City that Monday and staying the night...then flying out of Panama City standby the next day. There's like 10 flights going out that next day right now and none of them are close to fully booked yet, and that's less than 2 weeks away from now.
You should check with the airline to see what their policy is about that. Some may cancel your ticket and others will allow you to do this but it's unlikely. It sounds like you have already booked your original itinerary so your options are probably limited but if you haven't, you may be able to book this overnight stop with little to no cost difference

Old 05-26-2015, 12:07 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,269,437 times
Quote:
My close friend who travels a lot said to throw my stuff in a locker in the airport and do it...however he likes to 'live on the edge' lol.
Many (most?) airports don't have lockers due to security.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:35 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times
I will have a 7 hour layover in Panama city, will it be possible for me to do some light sight seeing? If so, what's recommended?

Old 05-27-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Many (most?) airports don't have lockers due to security.

I understand. I was reconsidering just staying the night in Panama City and leaving out the next day now.

I only really want to see Casco Viejo...however, after considerable research last night I am concerned it is not safe enough for a single female such as myself with not a 'ton' of travel experience to go to alone, even just for one day. So at this time although I would really like the experience I am not convinced it would be worth it.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:14 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times
Quote:
I understand. I was reconsidering just staying the night in Panama City and leaving out the next day now.

I only really want to see Casco Viejo...however, after considerable research last night I am concerned it is not safe enough for a single female such as myself with not a 'ton' of travel experience to go to alone, even just for one day. So at this time although I would really like the experience I am not convinced it would be worth it.
you are being paranoid.
You can hire a guide to show you around the city, for something like $100 a day including transportation.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
you are being paranoid.
Maybe so.

But I don't know anyone personally who's been before so unless more people chime in on this thread to give more perspective on recent travel there I can only rely on what I've researched/read so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel