U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 08:32 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,300,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
South America is very difficult for a traveler who does not speak any Spanish or Portuguese at all. Outside the tourism infrastructure, it can be very hard to find a person who speaks English.

My wife travels in Latin America a lot by herself, and she has no concerns whatsoever about safety issues, no more so than in the USA.
really? We spent 12 days in Chile and Argentina (not just capital cities) and didn't encounter much trouble. Will visit Ecuador this year. But I agree if you go outside the tourist areas, it may become harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 09:40 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,412,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
really? We spent 12 days in Chile and Argentina (not just capital cities) and didn't encounter much trouble. Will visit Ecuador this year. But I agree if you go outside the tourist areas, it may become harder.
I lived in Chile for a year, and never found a single person in my town who could speak English. But if all you do is stay at 5-star hotels and ride tour buses, you'll have no problem.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:14 AM

347 posts, read 328,657 times
Appreciate all the feedback!

Old 11-19-2015, 04:14 PM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,908,987 times
how many days is enough in BA? would 6-7 days be enough to visit the most interesting areas in the city? thanks.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:35 AM

6,475 posts, read 6,200,902 times
A very important thing to note is Rio can be dangerous. During the day it is okay, but at night things can get a little dicey. Some not too nice things happened to some guests at the hostel I was at one time. I don't want to blame the victim, but they were not exercising smart behavior. Basically, just keep you wits about you.

There is a language barrier in both countries, but it is possible to do what you want to do without too much fuss. People will help you out or someone who speaks passable English will walk by.

BA is wonderful. I only had a few days the time, but probably ate an entire cows worth of steak. The people are great and the city is beautiful.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:38 AM

6,353 posts, read 5,180,428 times
Vidigal has spectacular views and is just a few minutes' walk from the highest-income neighborhood in all of Brazil, Leblon (and a few more minutes from Ipanema). But it is a favela, and I wouldn't stay there. There are "favela tours" and "favela B&Bs" but I don't know the Brazilian culture well enough to think I could navigate them.

Old 11-26-2015, 02:45 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
956 posts, read 901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
how many days is enough in BA? would 6-7 days be enough to visit the most interesting areas in the city? thanks.
Yes, plenty. That's probably plenty of time to squeeze in a day trip to Colonia del Sacramento via the Buquebus as well (spring for the fast boat and it's less than an hour away). I would also recommend staying as close to the central city as possible, especially off Avenida 9 de Julio. I stayed in the Hotel Tribeca on Bartolomé Mitre, and it was a nice hotel at a reasonable price, and in a great location.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:24 AM

29,557 posts, read 16,536,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyScreenName View Post
Hi CD,

I'm a female wanting to travel to Brazil/Argentina solo. Any females out there done this? Is this a bad idea? What time of year is the best? (I would prefer to avoid Carnival. Thinking about leaving in July or August.)

Also, I don't speak a lick of Portuguese. Does this matter over there? My Spanish is better, but rusty.

What would be a good itinerary for 30 days? What should I definitely *not* miss? What city would be the best to fly into?

Thanks for any tips/advice.
We went to Argentina a three years ago and it was wonderful. We flew into Buenos Aires, then to Mendoza. If you are interested in wine, you must go to Mendoza. It's the "Napa Valley" of Argentina.

We felt very safe walking around Buenos Aires at night and they speak Spanish and a lot of English.

Another must see is Iguazu Falls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or