U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 11:14 AM

347 posts, read 327,256 times

Advertisements

Hi CD,

I'm a female wanting to travel to Brazil/Argentina solo. Any females out there done this? Is this a bad idea? What time of year is the best? (I would prefer to avoid Carnival. Thinking about leaving in July or August.)

Also, I don't speak a lick of Portuguese. Does this matter over there? My Spanish is better, but rusty.

What would be a good itinerary for 30 days? What should I definitely *not* miss? What city would be the best to fly into?

Thanks for any tips/advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 11:45 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,619,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyScreenName View Post
Hi CD,

I'm a female wanting to travel to Brazil/Argentina solo. Any females out there done this? Is this a bad idea? What time of year is the best? (I would prefer to avoid Carnival. Thinking about leaving in July or August.)

Also, I don't speak a lick of Portuguese. Does this matter over there? My Spanish is better, but rusty.

What would be a good itinerary for 30 days? What should I definitely *not* miss? What city would be the best to fly into?

Thanks for any tips/advice.
Yes it matters. While you may find some people that speak English/Spanish, most don't. At least not where my family lives, Curitiba/Porto Alegre.

Also, I've never gone as tourist so I'm not sure I can help you in the other areas without knowing what your interests are. I find flying into Rio better than flying into Sao Paulo.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:27 PM

1,983 posts, read 2,633,656 times
A number of years ago, my then-husband and I booked a package trip that included Rio, Iguassu Falls, and Buenos Aires. I loved BA, found it a beautiful city to walk around in, food was great. Really good-looking, well-dressed people. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Rio, on the other hand, I hated. It was very scary and dirty. Lots of homeless-looking, scary-looking people, and I was accompanied by a man. I'd never want to be there as a solo female. Hopefully someone who has been there recently can give you updated information.

If you can add Iguassu Falls to your itinerary, do it. It's a sight not to be missed.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:29 AM

4,338 posts, read 2,263,069 times
Well different strokes I guess. I think Rio is a great place - yes it can be dirty and dangerous but with caution there is lots to see. You can fly then to Iguassu then on to BA if you like - I did this over one weekend. I would never go during Carnival - too crazy and too expensive.

Spanish is fine for getting around Brasil - most folks can understand basic Spanish and most hotels have clerks that speak good English. If you stay in Hostel there will be plenty of other travelers and tour options - would recommend is an Island Tour - starts in Rio and goes by bus to to a port south of the city then visits several islands; takes all day. No problem being a woman there are lots of solo women out and about but be cautious - Brasil and Argentina (BA) have lots of crime and street robberies. Try your best not to stand out.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:14 AM

12,265 posts, read 18,397,848 times
I've been to Brazil only for business - Out of the tourist areas you will have an issue if you don't speak Portuguese or good (not "I took a course in high school" level) Spanish. I was actually surprised, I've been to Egypt and Nepal and other hellholes and found more English speakers. Hotels of course shouldn't be a problem.
Violent street crime is an issue, particularly in Brazil. In many areas hotels will warn you about traveling out alone at night. We've had our employees held up in cabs at gunpoint (drivers in motorcyles would drive up, point gun at driver and passenger, and steal laptop). The disparity you will see between the rich and poor is pretty shocking, driving from the airport in Sao Paulo you will see literally square miles of slums with cardboard and tin shacks ("favelas").
Don't forget you need a visa for Brazil at least, which you must get here by going through a visa service or filling out forms and going to the Brazilian embassy. It's a bit expensive. Race may be an issue as well if you are a person of color.
You can get a lot of info also by posting in the "Americas" forum here, quite a few Brazilians post there.
July and August is of course there winter, at least south of the border. Sao Paulo can get chilly, Argentina I suspect will be downright cold.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:04 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,799,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I've been to Brazil only for business - Out of the tourist areas you will have an issue if you don't speak Portuguese or good (not "I took a course in high school" level) Spanish. I was actually surprised, I've been to Egypt and Nepal and other hellholes and found more English speakers. Hotels of course shouldn't be a problem.
Violent street crime is an issue, particularly in Brazil. In many areas hotels will warn you about traveling out alone at night. We've had our employees held up in cabs at gunpoint (drivers in motorcyles would drive up, point gun at driver and passenger, and steal laptop). The disparity you will see between the rich and poor is pretty shocking, driving from the airport in Sao Paulo you will see literally square miles of slums with cardboard and tin shacks ("favelas").
Don't forget you need a visa for Brazil at least, which you must get here by going through a visa service or filling out forms and going to the Brazilian embassy. It's a bit expensive. Race may be an issue as well if you are a person of color.
You can get a lot of info also by posting in the "Americas" forum here, quite a few Brazilians post there.
July and August is of course there winter, at least south of the border. Sao Paulo can get chilly, Argentina I suspect will be downright cold.
I'm an african american male whose looking to visit with my gf down to Rio. I saw an airbnb in vidigal. Is this a dangerous area to be? What would you say is a safer neighborhood to stay?

Thanks for any response.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:09 PM

12,265 posts, read 18,397,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
I'm an african american male whose looking to visit with my gf down to Rio. I saw an airbnb in vidigal. Is this a dangerous area to be? What would you say is a safer neighborhood to stay?

Thanks for any response.
I'm not really qualified to answer. You almost need a resident to answer this. I would ask in the America's forum.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:24 PM

85 posts, read 97,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post

Thanks for any response.
Vidigal is a favela, of course it is a dangerous area to be. Don't do that.

The most famous touristic neighborhoods, like Ipanema and Copacabana are still the safest areas in Rio for tourists. I believe a neighborhood in the central area of the city (Lapa, Santa Teresa) would be good for a foreign tourist, too.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:26 AM

4,338 posts, read 2,263,069 times
Rio is a weird place, when I was there, there were pockets of tranquil neighborhoods all up and down the coast but in between were many very bad areas and it could change in the space of 100 yards. From what I remember - Vidigal is not a particularly safe area. There is a big hotel there but you will be advised not to walk around and there is huge slum across the street (Rocina). As advised above try to stay in Ipanema, LeBlon or Copacabana or even Barra da Tijuca

As a black guy you are less likely to encounter issues in the streets especially if you don't stand out as a foreigner.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:10 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
South America is very difficult for a traveler who does not speak any Spanish or Portuguese at all. Outside the tourism infrastructure, it can be very hard to find a person who speaks English.

My wife travels in Latin America a lot by herself, and she has no concerns whatsoever about safety issues, no more so than in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or