U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2015, 10:45 PM

4,628 posts, read 5,361,710 times

Advertisements

I've never had such experience, but would like to know just in case: if your first flight was delayed causing you to miss the next flight, will the airline just put you on the next available flight to the same destination, free of charge? There must be worse scenarios such as not enough seats, or the next flight is 1+ day later, etc... Also, what if the two legs are operated by different airlines, one airline causing you miss the other airline's flight?--who's in charge of arranging your next flight, and is it still free of charge for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 11:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,522 posts, read 39,903,732 times
San Francisco fog has been my most frequent reason to miss connections (usually bound for Asia - departures once / day)...

Aircraft problems and overbooking also happens (as does weather in many places).

usually you get booked on next available flight with same carrier, or SOMETIMES they will book you on another carrier (both are free, IF airline / weather caused )

Sometimes you need to wait a day, (I have always got a free room + shuttle or rental car). I usually prefer a rental car cuz I stay worldwide for $10/night in private homes. (which I prefer to hotels). in SF, I take BART to the city to enjoy the extra layover.

I usually book Friday and Monday with hopes of overbooking and free flight coupons. As a family, we got bumped 3x in one day and took away $1440 in flight $$ and a few free meals. We were 5 hrs delayed to a cross country destination. (time well spent) in airport.

or.. you get to find out how some airports are for Sleeping...(BTDT a few dozen times) most recently due to getting a TXT that flight is delayed 2 hrs... so... I show up 2 hrs later, and flight came earlier and departed BEFORE updated time. This seems to catch a lot of us... there were 6 of us sleeping in airport due to same issue...the best place for travelers to sleep is...

'Curfew' has got me a few times in San Diego (last night) ... Taking a late connection flight, but the inbound flight was delayed so... departure gets cancelled due to being TOO LATE for allowed hours for takeoff. San Diego TSA has caused me to miss a few flights. They do a lot of 'Training' on me!

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 05-27-2015 at 11:16 PM..

Old 05-27-2015, 11:31 PM

Thanks. I see you seem to enjoy those "opportunities"

Old 05-28-2015, 08:37 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
I've never had such experience, but would like to know just in case: if your first flight was delayed causing you to miss the next flight, will the airline just put you on the next available flight to the same destination, free of charge? There must be worse scenarios such as not enough seats, or the next flight is 1+ day later, etc... Also, what if the two legs are operated by different airlines, one airline causing you miss the other airline's flight?--who's in charge of arranging your next flight, and is it still free of charge for you?
You will be put on the next available (not necessarily next) flight to your destination. If weather caused the delays you will be on your own as far as food and hotel. If it was maintenance or overbooking they have to put you up. Overbooking also requires a cash payment to you.

If the flights were ticketed on the same itinerary then you are protected. If YOU booked yourself on one flight and then another (ie you are booked Southwest from Chicago to Newark, and then you booked Air France from Newark to Paris), they don't have to do jack for you. If you booked through American to fly from Dallas to JFK to connect with a British Air flight from JFK to London, and you booked both tickets through American (or BA) they will get you on another flight. They might end up rerouting you to EWR and have to fly from there on AA or BA, but they will get you to London.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:46 AM

7,678 posts, read 16,089,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Also, what if the two legs are operated by different airlines, one airline causing you miss the other airline's flight?--who's in charge of arranging your next flight, and is it still free of charge for you?
Did you book one one ticket all the way through to your destination including any code shares or did you book multiple tickets in the name of better prices?

One ticket- it's the airline whose name is on the ticket who is in charge of getting you there.

Example- last year we had a Delta ticket with a final leg on code share partner Virgin Atlantic. Ground stop in Atlanta because of weather made us miss our connecting flight to London. Because it's just ugly to untangle a ground stop in Atlanta, some sort of fourth level customer service ninja went to work trying to find us a new routing. First offer involved sending us from Florida to Scotland by way of San Francisco. This was met by a polite 'can we do better than this? ' from me. Second and accepted rebooking offer involved sending us to Boston to catch a flight to Amsterdam and then getting rebooked on a KLM flight from Amsterdam.

Generally getting rebooked on a code share/alliance partner is fairly easy. In this case, Delta and KLM have that kind of partnership. Rebooking onto someone outside Sky Team, say, BA, is possible under most airline 'mutual aid' agreements is possible in theory but requires finding the kindness of a ticket agent who is also high up enough in the food chain to make it happen.

Two ticket routing- you're presumed to be a no show by the second airline. Throw yourself on the mercy of a gate agent or customer service agent, and you might get reticketed though they'll probably just ask you to buy another ticket at expensive walk-up rates.

There are effectively three reasons for missing a connecting flight under airline rules- their fault (aka mechanical problems with a plane) no one's fault (aka weather) and your fault (aka flat tire on the way to the airport). These are actually spelled out in an airline's contract of carriage, so if an airline says 'It's not our fault, it's actually making a statement of fact as they see it.

If a missed connection is the airline's fault, you get the nicest treatment, sometimes very nice. Many airlines will have a policy that they can rebook you to any open seat, even if that involves moving you from coach to first class, in order to get you to your destination in a timely manner. They'll also pay for a hotel overnight and possibly meals for this kind of delay.

No one's fault- still generally good customer service though they won't move heaven and earth from you and they won't normally pay for your hotel if there is a weather delay that causes you to have an overnight at the airport. (If you are responsible for enough high dollar tickets, there may be exceptions to this)

Your fault- you're relying on the kindness of gate agents who can but don't have to help you.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:48 PM

Thank you all for the information. I booked the whole round trip itinerary via one of those cheap fare websites (aka online agents??). One leg was Airline X "operated by" Airline Y, which I suppose Airline X should still take full charge should there be a delayed takeoff/landing?

While we are at it, re "Airline X operated by Airline Y": How exactly does that work? Who's responsible with regard to:
Change of return date,
Departure terminal (if A and B use different terminals at an airport)
Frequent flyer mileage
etc.
?

Old 05-29-2015, 08:39 PM

7,678 posts, read 16,089,040 times
The 'Operated by' is either a code share or a commuter/regional airline flying under the parent airline's paint job. Or sometimes both. If I do a search for booking a flight from here to Scotland on Delta's web site, I can find a three segment routing.

Segment 1- Delta
Segment 2- codeshare flown on Virgin Atlantic
Segment 3- Virgin Atlantic paint job on the plane but operated by Aer Lingus

For things like seat assignments, try the airline on the ticket first, who then may redirect you to the web site of the airline with the different paint on the tail. Frequent flyer miles should be whatever FFN you entered on the ticket, noting that some tickets purchased through travel agencies won't give you the same number of miles as tickets booked directly through the airline.

For change of return date, start out with the online travel agency, who may have done something odd with a ticket that needs to be addressed during rebooking.

For a missed connection at the airport, go with the airline who is the one who issued the ticket. If there is not really a primary ticket, go for the paint job of the airline you're supposed to be flying. (ie. if it's ExpresssJet dba United Airlines, go with United)

Old 06-02-2015, 06:41 PM

5,183 posts, read 13,345,274 times
This is what happens...you will be upset! You will be freaking out....and then you'll get mad....when they finally put you on another flight (assuming the airline is at fault, and it wasn't because you weren't paying attention or something!), you will get the worst seat on the plane. Sometimes, they'll give you a few bucks to get something to eat while you wait....assuming there is an open restaurant in the freaking airport at 2 am.

Missing a connection is NOT fun... Been there...done that. Thanks, United.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:28 PM

1,032 posts, read 1,389,466 times
I missed a connection once. The first flight was delayed due to a power outage at another airport where the plane we were going to use was coming from. By the time the flight arrived in Denver we had missed the connecting flight to Portland but Frontier had already rescheduled everyone for later flights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or