Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 05:32 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times

Advertisements

Hostels usually have shared kitchens. Ditto couchsurfing and often Air BNB. Buy local groceries an cook em up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 06:28 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,154,462 times
In a former life, in poorer circumstances, I used to travel with a friend who had serious dietary restrictions (some self-imposed, some medically necessary). She would take packets of Uncle Ben's cooked rice and beans on the road. When hungry (because even if we did stop to eat in a restaurant, half the time she couldn't eat anything on the menu anyway), she would rip open a bag of rice and eat it, room temperature.

For myself, I used to take nut/dried fruit mixes, homemade beef jerky, and Subway coupons. If we had one big meal once a day, the snacks I packed would tide me through the other meals. There was always a jar of peanut butter, and we'd buy bunches of bananas, bags of oranges, and a loaf of bread. Whoever got hungry in between the one real meal a day could make themselves a peanut butter sandwich or peanut butter on banana any time.

If we stayed in motels instead of friends' houses, I'd make sure to get my fill at the continental breakfast (not necessarily the high fat stuff, but I'd eat 2 low-fat yogurts, oatmeal with raisins, fruit, an egg, maybe a mini bagel). Then I'd pocket an extra piece of fruit or hard boiled egg to eat around lunchtime so I wouldn't have to spend anything at lunch. And yes, I did get teased for being a cheapskate, but I had very little spending money and had no shame about it at the time.

These were not really vacation travels. These were cross-country jaunts anywhere from a few days to (one time) a whole summer. Now when I vacation with my husband, we do try to get as much local food as possible.

Aw. I'm making myself miss that old life. I traded the communal peanut butter jar for a steady paycheck. Well, we all grow up sometime...

Last edited by Mimidae; 05-31-2015 at 06:45 PM..

Old 05-31-2015, 06:38 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,154,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Also I need to remember to pack some scissors in my checked suitcase for opening food packages.
If you take to packing scissors or a paring knife in a backpack, do remember to remove it before you take same backpack on an airplane a year or more later. I was recently pulled aside at the airport for a bag search because I'd completely forgotten that there was a paring knife, with a 3" blade, permanently tucked away in a small pocket of that backpack, for the purpose of eating fruit on the road. So embarrassing!

Old 06-01-2015, 10:31 AM

2,120 posts, read 1,788,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
A small microwave and/or small toaster oven are really inexpensive and can be tucked away in the trunk. Either (or both) will significantly expand your meal options while staying at motels and shopping at grocery stores.
You may want to look out for a thrift store or pawn shop to find these a microwave or toaster over, it will cheaper than buying them new and you can always donate them at the end of your trip so you at least know what you are going to do with them at the end of your trip

Old 06-01-2015, 10:39 AM

2,120 posts, read 1,788,050 times
Another thing to do is do a search for cheap eats in the area you are in, they are usually the places that only locals go to and may be a little of the beaten path but you sometimes be able to find some great food at a small price.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:28 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
food shelters are another option.

You can go in and eat, or go in and volunteer to serve and eat as well!

Old 06-01-2015, 02:41 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
In American restaurants, instead of paying $2 for iced tea, or lemonade, bring your own packets of powdered drink mix, and pour it into their free ice-water.

Bring bottled water you've brought from Walmart, instead of paying $2 or $3 per bottle commonly charged in large cities, sports stadiums, concerts, or theme parks.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:50 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
food shelters are another option.

You can go in and eat, or go in and volunteer to serve and eat as well!

It might be ok to stop at such for convenience, but I would be sure to leave a donation!

Old 06-01-2015, 04:37 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
The only thing we pack for travel is wine, and some nuts. International or within the country, we pack the same. Breakfast is appreciated if it's included in the price, and we rarely eat lunch. The last thing I want to spend money on during vacation is food.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:49 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The only thing we pack for travel is wine, and some nuts. International or within the country, we pack the same. Breakfast is appreciated if it's included in the price, and we rarely eat lunch. The last thing I want to spend money on during vacation is food.

Unfortunately, your body needs food and water, not nuts and wine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel