U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 02:31 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,840,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
2) I bought a ticket on that plane so unless they somehow find some empty economy seat when I get to the airport, they'll be putting me in one of the economy plus or the business class seats for free, since they're the only ones showing as still empty. I tried to select a seat but it would not let me without paying extra money, which I'm not going to do.
They'll upgrade frequent flyers (who are probably in Economy Plus) to Business before they'll put you in those seats. Economy Plus is fairly likely, but I agree that Business class probably not very likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 03:10 PM

12,310 posts, read 18,425,337 times
Quote:
Well...

I bought a ticket on that plane so unless they somehow find some empty economy seat when I get to the airport, they'll be putting me in one of the economy plus or the business class seats for free, since they're the only ones showing as still empty. I tried to select a seat but it would not let me without paying extra money, which I'm not going to do.
I can pretty much guarantee your chance of getting an "op-up" to first class is zero unless you get bumped on a previous flight or something. Less then zero if that's possible. Those are reserved for high level frequent flyers who get it comped, and even those are tough. I am plat medallion on Delta and even I don't make my comp upgrades to first as often as I used to, it's always filled on domestic...and extremely rare even for me on International.
Economy plus might be possible but even then usually the only thing open is a middle seat. And I would rather take a aisle or window seat in regular economy then the dreaded middle seat on economy plus even.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:31 PM

15,083 posts, read 19,036,218 times
Thank you Apexgds and Dd714. Saved me from having to say the same things.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:21 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,472,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
And I would rather take a aisle or window seat in regular economy then the dreaded middle seat on economy plus even.
What you aren't getting is that THERE ISN'T ONE. There are NO regular Economy seats available. I have traveled the world; I know how seat selection works but I've never encountered a situation where there is no available choice other than an upgraded seat. And I never said anything about First Class. It's a 737 to Aruba; there isn't even First Class on that flight.

If they put me in a middle seat in Economy Plus, so be it. I'm thin but I have no problem claiming my space or telling people to please be quiet/move out of my space/etc.

So unless a regular Economy seat opens up when I get to the airport, I will get an upgraded one or I'll spend extra time in Aruba while I await another flight because they aren't getting any money or points out of my for their upgrades.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:56 AM

9,008 posts, read 8,425,582 times
You won't get upgraded, but you will get an Econ seat.

For United, Silver level frequent flyers get an upgrade from Econ to Econ+ 24 hours before boarding. What you will find as a result is a lot of the Econ seats opening up as a result, and you will get one of these.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:07 AM

12,310 posts, read 18,425,337 times
Quote:
What you aren't getting is that THERE ISN'T ONE. There are NO regular Economy seats available. I have traveled the world; I know how seat selection works but I've never encountered a situation where there is no available choice other than an upgraded seat. And I never said anything about First Class. It's a 737 to Aruba; there isn't even First Class on that flight.

If they put me in a middle seat in Economy Plus, so be it. I'm thin but I have no problem claiming my space or telling people to please be quiet/move out of my space/etc.

So unless a regular Economy seat opens up when I get to the airport, I will get an upgraded one or I'll spend extra time in Aruba while I await another flight because they aren't getting any money or points out of my for their upgrades.
I am talking in general, not about any flight to Aruba. So I am writing to anyone that reads it any may interpret this incorrectly as a strategy to get better seats (waiting for a flight to fill up and not selecting a seat). Two things:
-There are regular seats available, you just don't see it on whatever online seating chart you use (the airlines hold some seats and don't publish there availability). Also, seats open up due to cancellations, etc.
-You mentioned business class, on some airlines that is an interchangeable term with first class (i.e. Delta, etc). Some have a seperate first. The concept is the same - you won't get business class.

Likely you won't even get economy plus.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:22 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,838,588 times
The airlines hold back a certain percentage of seats from the online seat selectors and release them 24 hours before the flight. I've been unassigned and picked up good seats like that many, many times. It's very safe, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:14 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,620,883 times
Quote:
Oh I WON'T select a seat because I refuse to pay or use points for an upgraded seat, and that's all that's available to choose from. I'll just not mess with it until I get to the airport, and then maybe all that's available is a business class.
Not going to happen. They will move an elite to business or offer them for sale at a discounted price or give them to a non-rev before they'll put you (or any other GFP) into one at no additional cost.

The fact that you can't enter passport info is puzzling and IMHO problematic. That info is given to the authorities in advance, and could be a reason to deny boarding if you haven't entered it 24 hours before your travel time.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:16 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,620,883 times
Quote:

You are mistaken. There are none that you can see. Big difference. The fact that you don't realize this screams that you aren't as knowledgeable or well traveled as you think you are. You aren't getting an upgrade unless you have status with the carrier.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:02 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,472,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You are mistaken. There are none that you can see. Big difference. The fact that you don't realize this screams that you aren't as knowledgeable or well traveled as you think you are. You aren't getting an upgrade unless you have status with the carrier.
And you aren't as classy as you think you are. I have traveled all over the world to several continents, and have never, NOT ONCE, seen this happen. If a seat pops up, great. If it doesn't, I get an upgrade. I really don't give a crap either way.

Now get off your high-horse and go spout off to someone else, because you don't impress me. Internet warriors are usually exactly the opposite of what they try to be on this forum.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or