U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 09:04 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,470,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

The fact that you can't enter passport info is puzzling and IMHO problematic. That info is given to the authorities in advance, and could be a reason to deny boarding if you haven't entered it 24 hours before your travel time.
And FYI (although I'm sure you already know this, since you ARE all-knowing about everything travel), my travel companion couldn't input her passport information either BUT United told us that our reservations are fine. So there. But like I said, I'm sure you already knew that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 09:15 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,835,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
And FYI (although I'm sure you already know this, since you ARE all-knowing about everything travel), my travel companion couldn't input her passport information either BUT United told us that our reservations are fine. So there. But like I said, I'm sure you already knew that.
The problem you run into is that passenger manifests are compared to various databases 48-72 hours prior to departure, and any missing information may mean you'll be "flagged" for additional screening. I don't think you'll be denied boarding, but you may want to allow extra time for security.

Sure, your reservation is fine, but that doesn't guarantee easy passage through screening.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
The problem you run into is that passenger manifests are compared to various databases 48-72 hours prior to departure, and any missing information may mean you'll be "flagged" for additional screening. I don't think you'll be denied boarding, but you may want to allow extra time for security.

Sure, your reservation is fine, but that doesn't guarantee easy passage through screening.
Well all I can do is ask the United customer service rep and she said our reservations are fine and that the passport information can't be entered until 24 hours before the flight. I've never heard that before but there's nothing else we can do until we check in. (Oh wait, I'm "supposed" to be not well traveled so I shouldn't know what I'm talking about....)

Old 06-05-2015, 09:48 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,835,304 times
Quote:
Well all I can do is ask the United customer service rep and she said our reservations are fine and that the passport information can't be entered until 24 hours before the flight. I've never heard that before but there's nothing else we can do until we check in. (Oh wait, I'm "supposed" to be not well traveled so I shouldn't know what I'm talking about....)
The airline reps aren't terribly concerned with security issues. My parents booked a trip through a travel agency, and found that my mother's name was spelled incorrectly on her itinerary. The airline said she had to go through the travel agency who booked the flight (still have no idea why!), the travel agency said they couldn't correct it. Repeated calls to the airline did nothing ... they said it wouldn't be a problem, her reservation was fine. She was able to travel, but was taken aside for extra screening. Luckily, I had warned her that was a strong possibility and allowed plenty of extra time.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:28 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,595,142 times
Quote:
And you aren't as classy as you think you are. I have traveled all over the world to several continents, and have never, NOT ONCE, seen this happen. If a seat pops up, great. If it doesn't, I get an upgrade. I really don't give a crap either way.

Now get off your high-horse and go spout off to someone else, because you don't impress me. Internet warriors are usually exactly the opposite of what they try to be on this forum.....

You WILL NOT get the upgrade. There are specific ways that upgrades are given. learn the rules and then come back with your nasty comments.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Some people will believe anything.

By the way, I've been able to immediately enter my passport info on every international flight I've ever taken. US, AA, UA/CO, AC, BA, AF.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Some people will believe anything.

By the way, I've been able to immediately enter my passport info on every international flight I've ever taken. US, AA, UA/CO, AC, BA, AF.
Well you're just the queen then, I guess.....and as I said before, I have too.....on AA, BA, KLM, Delta, Emirates, USAir, Lufthansa, Air China, and even United.....that was the precise reason I brought it up on here.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Well you're just the queen then, I guess.....and as I said before, I have too.....on AA, BA, KLM, Delta, Emirates, USAir, Lufthansa, Air China, and even United.....that was the precise reason I brought it up on here.
Maybe I'm not making myself clear. It makes me wonder if you are actually ticketed. I would call the carrier and speak to a supervisor (get their name) and be double sure you have an actual ticket number and not just a PNR.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:31 AM

548 posts, read 637,894 times
Quote:
Not going to happen. They will move an elite to business or offer them for sale at a discounted price or give them to a non-rev before they'll put you (or any other GFP) into one at no additional cost.
I would agree with this 99.9% of the time, but there are lucky exceptions. Two years ago I was flying to Europe on a UA 777, regular economy, no premium status. Half an hour before boarding I get called the podium, and given that it's United I dreaded what bad news had to be coming. The agent somewhat brusquely told me they'd had to reseat me to accomodate a group; I looked to see what horrible seat I'd received and was all but already voicing a complaint, when the "6A" registered with me. Pretty much the best business class seat on plane (UA's old 777 configuration). No idea how I got picked but it was a nice surprise!

That was a nice trip. On the way back the outbound plane was stuck in O'Hare for storms, so my flight got cancelled. Two days later they had an extra 777 out, but the flight to the US was barely 1/4 full since many people had found other flights -- I had a couple of rows to myself in the back. Given EU rules UA had to pay for our hotel and food those two days, so I was happy to just wait and enjoy two vacation days on United.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Maybe I'm not making myself clear. It makes me wonder if you are actually ticketed. I would call the carrier and speak to a supervisor (get their name) and be double sure you have an actual ticket number and not just a PNR.
It was ticketed on April 7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or