U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2015, 02:02 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,973,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
For whatever reason, some people just hate the idea of visiting certain places. Some people simply refuse to go to developing countries, some hate to visit big cities such as Paris or New York, many don't want to go to any mountains. For myself, the one place I absolutely refuse to go to is the Caribbean's.

Are there any places you (maybe irrationally) refuse to visit over the years?

No need to respond if you intend to say something like "all places are beautiful and unique in their own ways and I am willing to visit anywhere given the chance". This post is more about eccentricities of people.
Florida and cruises...also 3rd world countries, but that really isn't irrational.

Florida is a hot dump. I'd rather spend my time on the Gulf Coast in LA, MS, AL, or TX, or the Georgia or South Carolina coast.

Cruises I really don't understand. Vacation is supposed to be a time of relaxing and getting away from it all, not being surrounded by thousands of other people on a floating resort where I would spend most of my time. When you finally get to port, you really cannot do too much exploring because you only have a few hours before you're back at sea. It sounds like a terrible vacation. The only time I'd get on a cruise is if I went to Antarctica and that is just because it is the only means to get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 02:57 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,765,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Florida and cruises...also 3rd world countries, but that really isn't irrational.

Florida is a hot dump. I'd rather spend my time on the Gulf Coast in LA, MS, AL, or TX, or the Georgia or South Carolina coast.

Cruises I really don't understand. Vacation is supposed to be a time of relaxing and getting away from it all, not being surrounded by thousands of other people on a floating resort where I would spend most of my time. When you finally get to port, you really cannot do too much exploring because you only have a few hours before you're back at sea. It sounds like a terrible vacation. The only time I'd get on a cruise is if I went to Antarctica and that is just because it is the only means to get there.
Wow you sound like lots of fun to be around.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:59 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,765,850 times
I'll go anywhere, as long as it doesn't include all of the picky, complaining whiners on this board. Lol

This is why it is not good to do group travels and group tours, then you get stuck with a bunch of sour grapes.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:21 PM

599 posts, read 693,125 times
I've done a lot of traveling for both vacation and work: Asia, Europe, the Caribbean, the 'Stans, Africa, and the Middle East. Having said all that, the one place I have no desire to go is Cuba. If the political thaw continues there is the potential I will be sent there for work and if that happens, I will do my best to have them send someone else.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:49 PM

18,677 posts, read 23,252,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Personally, I wouldn't have any interest in visiting any third world countries. Not that there's anything wrong with them ... I just know myself well enough to know that I wouldn't enjoy the experience.

No interest here, either.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:56 PM

18,677 posts, read 23,252,262 times
I loved Eastern Europe though. Part of it may be thought of as "Third World".

Old 06-06-2015, 05:39 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,542,550 times
Florida, India, China, Middle East, Southern California . . .
When I lived in Floridistan, once a week a cruise ship from somewhere else would make an unscheduled port due to a mass outbreak of dysentery, So, any traveling on a cruise ship---No thanks

Old 06-06-2015, 05:49 PM

13,678 posts, read 13,598,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
I just came here to see how Florida fared, so far I've not been too disappointed. New Jersey might be the dark horse in this race however.
As far as places that hold little interest for me to visit, Abu Dhabi and Qatar top my list. I'm sure the everyday locals are delightful I just have issues with conspicuous consumption for the sake of conspicuous consumption.
Having spent my first 34 years in Jersey, I'd actually say it's a decent place for a vacation. You can tour the Revolutionary War battlefields, go on some lovely hikes, spend time at the shore (boardwalks are a blast there), hit NYC or Philly, see a variety of kind of obscure sights (Grounds for Sculpture, Doris Duke Estate, Princeton University), cross over into Bucks County, PA and tour some lovely river towns, etc. If you had a week with a clear schedule in NJ, I assure you, you would not be bored. Living there... well, that's another story.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:15 PM

11,264 posts, read 8,433,015 times
Any high radiation areas are on my No list. (parts of Japan, Chernobyl...)
Not into the Stan-lands either. I've been here and there. I'm liking the USA at the moment.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:17 PM

135 posts, read 317,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
The heat, the animal excrement piled here and there, the beggars, the urchins.
Due to open defecation being a problem over there, it probably wasn't animal excrement...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or