U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2015, 09:08 AM

29,546 posts, read 16,499,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Kittens View Post
I've done a lot of traveling for both vacation and work: Asia, Europe, the Caribbean, the 'Stans, Africa, and the Middle East. Having said all that, the one place I have no desire to go is Cuba. If the political thaw continues there is the potential I will be sent there for work and if that happens, I will do my best to have them send someone else.
Cuba is on my list. Why would you not go to Cuba?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 02:38 PM

15,908 posts, read 10,083,215 times
While I'd love to see all of the states someday, I'd have to say I'm in no hurry to go to Alaska, or The Dakotas any time soon. I wouldn't make it a priority to go visit the New England states either. I went on vacation with my parents as a kid, and it wasn't the best time. We went in July, and left 85-90 degree summer warmth for rain, chilly, and dreary. Not to mention my mom was just unbearable to be around for whatever reason.

As for overseas, I have no desire to go to Asia, Africa or The Middle East. As for Europe, the places I would like to see is Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, The Netherlands, and Poland (I have Polish roots). As for England and France? Nah. Not interested. Spoiled American? Yeah maybe. But to me there is still so much that I want to see in my own country, before tackling other continents. Maybe, one day my mind will change.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:33 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,838,588 times
Crappy third-world countries are out with stuff like wars and ebola. Others are just down on the priority list like Germany.

Germany is a perfectly fine place, I would not complain if someone else paid my expenses to visit, but I would rather go other places if it's my choice.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:39 PM

5,961 posts, read 2,902,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Crappy third-world countries are out with stuff like wars and ebola. Others are just down on the priority list like Germany.
Of all the third world countries how many are at war or have a risk of contracting Ebola?

Old 06-08-2015, 07:36 PM

7,323 posts, read 4,169,633 times
North Korea, at least until Kim Jong Nutcase is deposed, is definitely off my list!

Old 06-09-2015, 09:20 AM

13,107 posts, read 24,901,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
North Korea, at least until Kim Jong Nutcase is deposed, is definitely off my list!
I know! It amazes me that anyone would want to go there. South Korea yes but not the north

Old 06-09-2015, 09:22 AM

13,107 posts, read 24,901,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
While I'd love to see all of the states someday, I'd have to say I'm in no hurry to go to Alaska, or The Dakotas any time soon. I wouldn't make it a priority to go visit the New England states either. I went on vacation with my parents as a kid, and it wasn't the best time. We went in July, and left 85-90 degree summer warmth for rain, chilly, and dreary. Not to mention my mom was just unbearable to be around for whatever reason.

As for overseas, I have no desire to go to Asia, Africa or The Middle East. As for Europe, the places I would like to see is Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, The Netherlands, and Poland (I have Polish roots). As for England and France? Nah. Not interested. Spoiled American? Yeah maybe. But to me there is still so much that I want to see in my own country, before tackling other continents. Maybe, one day my mind will change.
Would love to go there but hubby is not on board as he says it's too dam cold even in August...lol

Old 06-09-2015, 10:30 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,620,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan16 View Post
I'd agree with some other posters about being up for going pretty much anywhere as long as it'd be fun and I'm able to enjoy the trip at my own pace and not be at the mercy of some sort of "touristy" guided group, please no... Generally not a fan of heat and humidity together(especially if I'm being active, hate would be an appropriate term) but that isn't going to hold me back, plenty of places I'd visit that are sticky and icky.

The UK has some beautiful places, you're missing out. The Lake District and the Scottish Highlands are stunning, the cotswolds are pretty cozy and the southern coast of England is charming and rugged in a way. And then there's Wales, which has some great scenery. Yes, the weather can be a bit annoying but it's no worse than parts of India or Queensland or the US at that.
I'll do a tour group only if it a very small group (6-10 people total) and for a very specific and focused interest that will open doors to places that I would never otherwise gain access to. For example a tour for museum curators that gave after hours and behind the scenes access to some of the great museums in Paris, Rome, etc. or a tour for wine collectors that was able to open the doors of the First Growths of Bordeaux or Grand Cru of Burgundy, etc. But that isn't the typical "tour group" and I think most people have some sort of hobby or interest that a tour under those circumstances would be enjoyable.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:39 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,620,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Of all the third world countries how many are at war or have a risk of contracting Ebola?
Add in violent crimes against tourists and I'd guess that the number would be about half.

Figure 50% of the Caribbean (some of it is developed and reasonably to very safe (St. Maarten, Cayman Islands, etc.) but a lot of it is iffy at best and dangerous at worst.

Most of Africa is either involved in some sort of war or has major health issues--Ebola is just one of them... add in TB, Meningitis, Malaria, etc. Even with prophylactic vaccination there is still risk. Add in some regions where there has been considerable violent crime against tourists, and it's just not really a place that I'm overall interested in visiting. Tangier, Casablanca, and Johannesburg are probably the three exceptions to the rule, and even then I would have to give it very careful thought.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:47 AM

15,908 posts, read 10,083,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Would love to go there but hubby is not on board as he says it's too dam cold even in August...lol

Yep. I'm not much on cold weather (and I live in Ohio where it gets COLD), so if I went to those places it definitely would have to be in the summer months. And even then, no guarantee as referenced in my post about the New England states when I visited them. I suppose if I had the opportunity to see Mt. Rushmore in South Dakota that would be cool, but not finding anything significant in North Dakota that would draw me there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or