U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2015, 10:56 AM

13,107 posts, read 24,905,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Yep. I'm not much on cold weather (and I live in Ohio where it gets COLD), so if I went to those places it definitely would have to be in the summer months. And even then, no guarantee as referenced in my post about the New England states when I visited them. I suppose if I had the opportunity to see Mt. Rushmore in South Dakota that would be cool, but not finding anything significant in North Dakota that would draw me there.
Yep I hear you..hubby asks me what the hell is there to see in the badlands?
At least we are mature enough to vacation with friends and not each other all the time as I have no desire for golf courses in Myrtle Beach or FL.

Another issue he was Navy for 4.5 years and most of that was on a ship so he has been in ports all over the world and with the exception of Australia and Malta no desire to revisit....thank goodness for girlfriends that like to travel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 11:06 AM

442 posts, read 380,910 times
I have no desire to go to Africa, the Middle East, or any part of Asia. South America holds no interest for me, either.

Honestly, outside of the US, Canada, and Mexico, I only really care to visit Europe. I love learning about all the places, cultures, experiences, but to actually be there...nope. No idea why..I love travel, love learning, love experiencing, etc. Those places just hold no appeal for me.

Stick me in a cold, bustling, northern European city and I am all good. Or middle of nowhere in the US or Canada and I am golden.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:09 AM

8,199 posts, read 6,135,837 times
Sub-Saharan Africa and Baltimore.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:32 PM

2,980 posts, read 2,709,142 times
just a few places:
-China--I have no desire to see the most modern city in the world (Shanghai) surrounded by the most polluted land and air in the world. Besides, China has stolen enough of our money and military secrets (thanks to our politicians who allowed it and helped it), and I don't like Chinese food
-the muslim countries of the Mid-East and Africa--I am not into those who pretend to be religious, yet kill others. They can wage jihad against other infidels, not me.
-Iran, Iraq, and North Korea--the axis of evil
-the Carribbean--yes, the WHOLE Caribbean, with two exceptions, Puerto Rico and Cuba. I would go to Puerto Rico or Cuba anytime, but never set foot on any other island because of the attitude of the natives and how they welcome visitors. The crime rates on other Carribean islands are worse than Detroit, St Louis, or Baltimore. It always amazes me how a high school in Alabama could give a senior class trip to Aruba. They would have been safer in Mogadishu. American tourists are blinded and deafened by palm trees and beaches.

For those concerned about animals, there is a terrible problem with stray dogs in the countries of the former Soviet Union, particularly the cities of Ukraine, and some parts of Russia. The people are great, but the packs of stray dogs who attack people frequentlly are everywhere, and a big problem. It is enough of a problem to keep people away unless one has family there.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:34 PM

797 posts, read 1,138,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
For whatever reason, some people just hate the idea of visiting certain places. Some people simply refuse to go to developing countries, some hate to visit big cities such as Paris or New York, many don't want to go to any mountains. For myself, the one place I absolutely refuse to go to is the Caribbean's.

Are there any places you (maybe irrationally) refuse to visit over the years?

No need to respond if you intend to say something like "all places are beautiful and unique in their own ways and I am willing to visit anywhere given the chance". This post is more about eccentricities of people.
I don't think I will ever visit Canada. Or Idaho. Montana. Nebraska. Wyoming. The Dakotas.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:19 PM

83 posts, read 119,664 times
Dubai.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:56 PM

7,328 posts, read 4,172,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Yep I hear you..hubby asks me what the hell is there to see in the badlands?
What is there to see in the badlands? The badlands - which are gorgeous, in a stark and unforgiving sort of way.

They're definitely a place for folks who like their nature raw and unpopulated, which definitely isn't everyone, so I can certainly see why some folks wouldn't have the Dakotas on their destination list. But if you like rugged landscapes, big skies, and lots of quiet, the badlands are fantastic.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:34 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,627,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
What is there to see in the badlands? The badlands - which are gorgeous, in a stark and unforgiving sort of way.

They're definitely a place for folks who like their nature raw and unpopulated, which definitely isn't everyone, so I can certainly see why some folks wouldn't have the Dakotas on their destination list. But if you like rugged landscapes, big skies, and lots of quiet, the badlands are fantastic.
I loved seeing them. But like so many other similar places once was enough.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:43 PM

5,823 posts, read 10,162,048 times
Just gave up a trip to India because of food poisoning/sanitation risks .
I wouldn't go to obviously dangerous countries like Honduras.
Oh and of course the whole African continent , SA included , is a no go area for me.
Most of the Middle East too, save Israel,the Emirates, Turkey, Oman and Iran (I have heard very positive reports from travellers on Iran). And North Korea because you are not allowed to roam freely and must kiss the ass of freakin' Kim.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:45 PM

14,188 posts, read 6,440,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Just gave up a trip to India because of food poisoning/sanitation risks .
I wouldn't go to obviously dangerous countries like Honduras.
Oh and of course the whole African continent , SA included , is a no go area for me.
Most of the Middle East too, save Israel,the Emirates, Turkey, Oman and Iran (I have heard very positive reports from travellers on Iran). And North Korea because you are not allowed to roam freely and must kiss the ass of freakin' Kim.
Wait, you gave up a trip to India because of risks THERE? There are risks in every country, including here & Mexico. I don't understand why you would not take that trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or