U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2015, 11:37 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,831,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
From Wikipedia:

Turkey became an associate member of the EEC in 1963, joined the EU Customs Union in 1995 and started full membership negotiations with the European Union in 2005.
Right. Started full membership negotiations. Which are not complete. They are not a part of the EU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 12:44 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I think you may mean NATO? Anyhoo, my grey-haired mild-mannered mother did tour of Turkey, had a marvelous time.
Whoever thinks it is dangerous to travel to Turkey is being silly and shouldn't travel at all.
Nowhere is perfectly safe but Turkey is not a particularly dangerous country to be. I am sure places such Washington DC or Chicago have higher crime rates than Istanbul.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:47 PM

629 posts, read 491,841 times
Having spent a week there I can say that Istanbul is absolutely a safe destination, and I think its violent crime rate is quite low for a city of that size. That said, parts of Eastern Turkey near the borders with Iraq, Iran and Syria are a whole different animal. I would return to Istanbul in a heartbeat, and I'm definitely interested in Cappadocia, Ephesus, etc. But I wouldn't feel safe traveling to the very rural and more unstable areas of eastern Turkey, which are very much the middle east.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:52 PM

6,756 posts, read 3,857,072 times
I have no interest in going back to Turkey or Egypt. No interest in China. Would like to see more of Europe, where I've traveled the least.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:05 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Having spent a week there I can say that Istanbul is absolutely a safe destination, and I think its violent crime rate is quite low for a city of that size. That said, parts of Eastern Turkey near the borders with Iraq, Iran and Syria are a whole different animal. I would return to Istanbul in a heartbeat, and I'm definitely interested in Cappadocia, Ephesus, etc. But I wouldn't feel safe traveling to the very rural and more unstable areas of eastern Turkey, which are very much the middle east.
This is exactly how I feel about Turkey.

The same thing goes for Morocco. Casablanca, Marrakesh, Fes, and Tangier--basically the Northwest third of the country--are perfectly safe and welcoming to European and Western tourists. I might be somewhat more apprehensive about travel towards the Algierian and Western Sahara borders due to political unrest and the spread of Isis from Mauritania.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:07 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
true, not so different from people feel perfectly safe in Boston or Minneapolis but not so much in New Orleans, Baltimore or South side Chicago.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:13 PM

7,679 posts, read 16,095,286 times
I'd describe Turkey as kind of like Mexico- some generally safe parts (Cancun, some of the bigger coastal SW cities, Istanbul) and some border areas which should be avoided at all costs because they're insanely dangerous.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:41 PM

12,291 posts, read 15,187,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
if you're not part of the solution, then you are a part of the problem
Sorry I don't buy that. The department of Tourism, if it even exists, hasn't done anything to make people want to visit, and shouldn't be blaming potential visitors for lack of interest.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:57 AM

6,353 posts, read 5,156,240 times
I have been advised by several friends who have been to India not to go there if I don't want to get sick. I would probably also avoid Islamic countries other than possibly Turkey, Jordan, and the UAE, and I would be a little reluctant to go to places where medical care is scarce, particularly in Africa.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:20 AM

24,777 posts, read 6,165,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

The same thing goes for Morocco. Casablanca, Marrakesh, Fes, and Tangier--basically the Northwest third of the country--are perfectly safe and welcoming to European and Western tourists. I might be somewhat more apprehensive about travel towards the Algierian and Western Sahara borders due to political unrest and the spread of Isis from Mauritania.
We go to Tunisia twice a year. Wonderful, friendly people. We English don't frighten easily.

Port el Kantaoui is a nice place to spend a couple of weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLisCRBbn2c
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or