U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2015, 07:37 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,320,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
It's comments like this that are frustrating for me. You won't go because there's no creature comforts, but if you went you'd realize how wrong you are.
So how does that make him a "racist"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Wait, you gave up a trip to India because of risks THERE? There are risks in every country, including here & Mexico. I don't understand why you would not take that trip.
I wouldn't have any interest in India either, for many of the same reasons. I would also add that I find it rather foolish to insinuate that there is any realistic comparison to sanitation in North America vs that in India.

Last edited by Annuvin; 06-21-2015 at 07:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 08:56 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,446,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I wouldn't have any interest in India either, for many of the same reasons. I would also add that I find it rather foolish to insinuate that there is any realistic comparison to sanitation in North America vs that in India.
Well as someone who has actually been to India, it can be comparable depending on where you stay.

That's 4 stories. That doesn't make it likely for any one person to be raped in India. Even if 100 Western women tourists were raped in India in a single year, you'd have to dilute that into the same demographic of total tourists which probably numbers into the hundreds of thousands. You'd have a better chance of getting a heart attack at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Turkey is part of the EU, and is not considered a Middle East country. Just saying.
No it isn't.

Can you please try to make an effort to post based on facts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I'd describe Turkey as kind of like Mexico- some generally safe parts (Cancun, some of the bigger coastal SW cities, Istanbul) and some border areas which should be avoided at all costs because they're insanely dangerous.
Sorry, but which parts of Turkey are even considered dangerous at all? Last year I put a lot of research into visiting places like Van and Dogubayzit, Kars, Mardin, all near Eastern borders, and nothing even remotely frightening had come up.

Last edited by Jesse44; 06-21-2015 at 09:10 AM..

Old 06-21-2015, 09:38 AM

7,681 posts, read 16,101,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post

Sorry, but which parts of Turkey are even considered dangerous at all? Last year I put a lot of research into visiting places like Van and Dogubayzit, Kars, Mardin, all near Eastern borders, and nothing even remotely frightening had come up.
Travel Announcements and Security Messages | Consulate General of the United States Istanbul, Turkey

Quote:
October 8, 2014

The U.S. Embassy in Ankara informs U.S. citizens that public demonstrations are taking place throughout southeast Turkey at varying times and with little advance notice, in response to ongoing fighting in the Syrian border town of Kobani. Violent altercations have occurred in Diyarbakır, Adana, Siirt, Van, Mardin, Mus, Batman, Hakkari, Mersin, and elsewhere. Turkish authorities have imposed curfews in the following provinces: Diyarbakır, Batman, Mardin, Mus, Surt and Van. While U.S. citizens have not been the target of recent demonstrations, U.S. citizens should defer travel to these areas until the demonstrations subside.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:58 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times
Yes. I'm not going to the countries that have outrageous visa fees, in order to make American citizens pay a fine for the greed of the US government, which charges foreigners $160 to get a US visa. .

$160 is currently the going rate for Americans getting visas to quite a few countries, including Chile, Argentina, Paraguay, Bolivia, Brazil, much of Africa, a lot of Central Asia. In most of those counties, $160 is enough to cover several nights of lodging and meals, which pretty much defeats the purpose of going there to stay on a light budget. Travelers from Schengen countries do not need visas at all to enter those countries.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:11 PM

The US (and other states) advise against travel pretty much anywhere interesting. It's a well-known and ignored phenomenon among the informed.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:15 PM

14,190 posts, read 6,428,762 times
Quote:
So how does that make him a "racist"?

You've heard of foodborne illness, right? Happens here every day.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:19 PM

700 posts, read 540,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Morocco sucks.. Was there this year and will never be back.
Just curious about why you had a bad trip to Morocco. I visited there a few years ago and loved it, but everyone's experience is different, even at the same destination. Where did you stay?

Old 06-21-2015, 12:21 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,718,804 times
The USA is looking less and less attractive, with every shoot out.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:42 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,320,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Well as someone who has actually been to India, it can be comparable depending on where you stay.
We're talking about a country that still practices open defecation in many areas and where the adherents of one of its largest religions regularly bathe in the filthy and corpse littered Ganges River as part of its religious practices. This is also a country, I might add, that still suffers outbreaks of cholera, leprosy and yellow fever on a regular basis.

As such, do you honestly expect anyone to take your comparison between sanitation in India and that of Canada and the United States seriously?

Old 06-22-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
We're talking about a country that still practices open defecation in many areas and where the adherents of one of its largest religions regularly bathe in the filthy and corpse littered Ganges River as part of its religious practices. This is also a country, I might add, that still suffers outbreaks of cholera, leprosy and yellow fever on a regular basis.

As such, do you honestly expect anyone to take your comparison between sanitation in India and that of Canada and the United States seriously?
I don't know how to respond to this. Don't you think if it even semi-often affected tourists, that millions wouldn't/couldn't enter the country freely every year? It's a fascinating place. You close yourself up to many opportunities if you just go through life avoiding anything "third world". If I've learned anything from visiting the "third world", which I have several times now, it's that it's not as poor and decrepit and sad as newscasts and documentaries make it out to seem.

And yes, I stand by my statement about cleanliness. Many people in India are filthy rich and there are parts that are very organized and clean to match your unrealistic standard of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or